Author Topic: Code Completion & Source Control(?)  (Read 2810 times)

twayne919

Code Completion & Source Control(?)
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:18:27 pm »
Hi, new to CodeBlocks... Just switched from Visual Studio 2010, so far I'm really loving CodeBlocks even more, but these two (small) issues of mine are really frustrating.

Basically, the first is Code Completion, I cant' /exactly/ turn it off even if I change the settings. Say, when I create a new function and it automatically creates the brackets for me, that's cool I like that, but creating the parenthesis is what's messing with me. I have configured the options to disable Code Completion yet it still insists on "helping" me.

The second issue is Source Control (? Correct term for it?). Now, I'm doubting this is changeable now (or even forever, I don't know the plans of the developers) but when I create a new .cpp & .h file, it's just a mild inconvenience to move the files from one folder to the next (out of the header folder & source folder to a new folder). The way it's setup now would make my projects extremely messy, and I just can't have that. I have a certain way of managing folders & files inside those folders, been like that for nearly 4 years :P.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm still adjusting from the switch to Linux, as well as the switch from MS Visual.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Code Completion & Source Control(?)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »
I have configured the options to disable Code Completion yet it still insists on "helping" me.
This is not related to code completion. You'll find the settings in the editor settings (brace completion etc...)

The way it's setup now would make my projects extremely messy, and I just can't have that.
I don't know what you mean by that, but you have everything in your hands completely, maybe you are missing that C::B has different ways of "viewing" / ordering / presenting files. Play with the options in the project manager, Right-click on the project, select "project tree" -> the options are:
- Edit file types and categories
- Categorise files by types
- Display folders as on disk

Notice that it also matters, here you have your project file put into. You should have it somewhat top-level to your project, as otherwise the path's are relative to the common root folder of all your sub-folders, so e.g. if you project is like:
- src
- src\prj\*.cbp
- src\src\*.cpp
- hdr\include\*.cpp
...your root folder is "src" and thus all files will become relative to that one.
Better would be:
- src\*.cbp
- src\src\*.cpp
- hdr\include\*.cpp
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ