Author Topic: fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'odbc32.dll'  (Read 5962 times)

JRid

fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'odbc32.dll'
« on: December 11, 2005, 09:27:32 pm »
Hello, I am completely new to programming. I recently bought Game Tutorials and am trying to set up CodeBlocks on my new MS XP Pro computer to start learning.  I have installed sdk, MSC++ Platform 2003 and CB. It worked great on my win2K machine, but on XP Pro I can't get the imported vcproj files to link. I doubt it has anything to do with OS.

Problem:
When I import a vcproj provided with Game Tutorials and try to compile/run, I get:
          fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'odbc32.dll'
If I create a new project with CB, then copy the code from the Game Tutorials example into the new proj, it works without a hitch. That's fine for now while the examples are a single file, but later..... good grief. I see that odbc32.dll is part of Microsoft Data Access ODBC Driver Manager. I have no idea what that is or what to do with it... just yet.

I found references to the 1181 error, but none specifically with 'odbc32.dll'. Most are about something called "ogre"?
I've tried putting copies of this file "all over the place" and pointing compiler and linker to different directories (I think) but it doesn't want to work.
What am I missing? Lot's, I'm sure :")
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 09:32:36 pm by JRid »

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'odbc32.dll'
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 09:36:18 pm »
Hello,

The import .NET project/solution functionality of C::B is still WIP. I have also had some troubles in importing solution files within C::B, but most of the time it was a missing/bad include/link directory.

Try to check if you include all the necessary files and link all the necessary libraries. Search also the C::B forum for some hints (some topics could help you to solve your problems).

Best wishes,
Michael

JRid

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 10:19:02 pm »
Thanks Michael ,
I figure the answer is here on this site. It must have been seen before. Maybe it's so common nobody needs help with it?  I just don't know enough to know where to find out the keywords I need to know in order to search for what I really need to know.... ya know? I 'm still an egg....or a chicken...which ever. :)
I don't mind RTFM. If Someone could point me in a general direction that would be a lot of help right there. Like right now, if I seach "link directory" (with quotes) all I get is this thread. No on e else is talking about link directories at all, it would seem. I just don't even know what I'm looking for.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 10:44:40 am »
Hello,

Yes, the search is somehow not so easy. Try the advanced search which allows you to chose more searching parameters and to select the target(s) of the query.

If you search with "link directory", then you get the posts that contain exactly such sequence, e.g., this post. Try without quotes for getting posts that contain link and directory in any order. With the advanced search you can select the "Match all words" or "Match any words".

You can may begin with a more general query and then filter out unwanted results by refining the initial query.

Best wishes,
Michael