Author Topic: Type added to Files extension handling but not Manage association (Windows)  (Read 5079 times)

Offline DynV

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • DynV homepage
First I mentioned Windows in the title because on General settings (of Environment settings), on the left of the Manage... button leading to the window Manage association, it's written
(Windows only)

So I did the same as another file type some time ago but this time the result is different. Both types are in Files extension handling list Registered wildcards but only the later is listed in Manage association. Is there any consequence for the later type not being in the later list (Manage association) ? Is there a way to change the accompanied text between parenthesis (I'd like to change from header to source) ?

Thank you kindly

Update 1:

I wonder why the highly didn't remain and something came to mind so I went to Syntax highlighting (in Configure editor) and after choosing the right syntax (drop-down) in Syntax highlighting for:, I click to the button right next Filemasks... and added the new type.

Still no luck for Manage association.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:11:17 pm by DynV »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
I wonder why the highly didn't remain and something came to mind so I went to Syntax highlighting (in Configure editor) and after choosing the right syntax (drop-down) in Syntax highlighting for:, I click to the button right next Filemasks... and added the new type.
File associations, file masks, file types and MIME types are different things:

1.) Associations are registered in the Registry (that's why its Windows only) to enable that when you double click on a file with this extensions C::B is being opened - standard practice on windows. These are hard-coded and should not be too much anyways btw..
2.) File masks is to associate specific file extension with a syntax colour scheme used within the editor for correct syntax highlighting, via the menu Settings -> Editor -> Syntax higlighting, for every language that C::B supports syntax highlighting for.
3.) "File type and categories" (reached via menu Project - "Project tree" -> Edit file types and categories) enables you to adjust grouping in the project tree of the files as you like in the project tree, including (for example) to create a completely new group.
4.) MIME types (reached via menu Settings - Environment - File extension handling) allows you to associate file typed with specific procedures to open them at runtime within C::B only. For example, you can "tell" C::B here, that a specific script type like Python "*.py" shall be opened INSIDE a new Code::Blocks editor window, or EXTERNAL with a specific editor.

Feel free to put this on the WiKi btw...
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ