Author Topic: project dependencies dont seem to work  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Krox

• Single posting newcomer
project dependencies dont seem to work
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »
I am currently developing a compiler. So for testing I have a second project, which is compiled with it. Now obviously, it depends on the first compiler-project. But just checking the box in "project's dependencies..." doesn't seem to have an effect at all. Changing the compiler source, and then compiling the testing-project doenst trigger a new compilation of the compiler. What am I missing here? Some clues would be much appreciated.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: project dependencies dont seem to work
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
I am guessing you tried project dependencies; it only does build order effect.

Try looking up "external dependencies" on CB and see if that helps.

The version number of Code::Blocks being used matters in this question.

Additional you can ... add an external dependency for the relevant targets of your app in "Properties -> Build targets -> Dependencies -> External dependency files" to the appropriate library.

Tim S.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:46:01 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Krox

• Single posting newcomer
Re: project dependencies dont seem to work
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »
Well, that explains why it doesn't work.

I tried the "external dependencies": This only re-links the project when the depency changes, it doesnt re-compile the source. Furthermore, when building the dependant, it doesn't trigger compilation (when needed) of the dependency. Which seem logical, cause with "external depency" C::B doesn't know, the file (in this case the compiler-binary), origins from another project in the same workspace. So this isn't what I I would like to have. Thanks anyway.

For the time being, the problem isn't critical, as I have only two projects. Just was wondering, how the "project's depencies" work in C::B.

My C::B version is 10.05 (ubuntu repository).