Author Topic: Change the default location of the output terminal  (Read 5916 times)

Offline mahaju

• Multiple posting newcomer
Change the default location of the output terminal
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:48:27 am »
Hello everyone,
Is there any way I can change the default position where the output terminal window appears when I build and run my console application? For example, currently if I press F9 (build and run) the console window appears at the left of the screen by default. I want to make it appear at the right, or better still, appear at the same location I moved it to when I last built and run the program. Is it possible to do this, or at least change the default position where the console window appears?
Thank you very much

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Change the default location of the output terminal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:33 am »
It depends on your OS, environment and terminal.
But it is not a job of C::B to tell where the terminal is shown, it is the job of the window manager/shell...
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline mahaju

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:13 am »
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate
So this is due to Windows Explorer?
Is there any way I can manipulate this?
If I was using Linux would I be able to do it?

Offline mahaju

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:21 am »
Just to make it clear, I am not talking about changing the console window position for the final output program, but only the console window that shows up when I build and run my program through codeblocks
I suppose if I can change the default location for the Window of cb_console_runner.exe this should be possible. But if I right click and go to properties it has no options to change the default window position
If I make a shortcut to it I can do so for the shortcut, but there seems to be no way of doing it to the actual exe file
Is there anyway I can override it's default settings through codeblocks, or may be pass some arguments to cb_console_runner.exe so that I can control where it's window appears?

Offline mahaju

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:56 am »
OK I found out how to do it
When the console window appears right click on the blue bar on it's top, and click on Defaults, go to Layout and uncheck the "Let system position window"
Now we are allowed to choose a custom position for the window next time the program is run
After this the console window appears at the same position after every run
If we want to revert it to the default just click on the "Let system position window" checkbox
However I would like to point out that even with this option checked, the position of the output window keeps on changing slightly after each execution. There seem to be 8 or 10 such predefined locations, and the output console window appears at those locations sequentially
I hope this will be of help to someone
Thank you for pointing out that it is an issue with Windows Explorer
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:13:46 am by mahaju »