Author Topic: Win (32) resource editor recommendations?  (Read 8916 times)

Offline lphilpot

• Multiple posting newcomer
Win (32) resource editor recommendations?
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:32 am »
...that work decently with CB, that is?

Searching the forums turned up a few folks asking the same question, but nothing recently. The links I found were dead, so I'll ask again hoping maybe something is available now. I found ResEdit, http://www.resedit.net/, which looks promising, but the (default) code it generates renders my simple test projects unbuildable. I'm not yet up to speed sufficiently enough to discover why it's happening and if indeed it's just a config issue or something else.

Any advice? Any known-good 'companion products'?

Thanks and Happy New Year.   :)

Max

Re: Win (32) resource editor recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
Hi,

First, the link you reported contains the ResEd version 1.5.9. My installed one is 2.2.0.6c. So, at least, use the latest or a newer version.

Then, when I was using win32 API massively ResEd worked pefectly with CB (as a tool) and the code it produced can be compiled with the MinGW winres.. I switched to WxWidgets and I'm still using the resource editor just for minor details (try wxSmith or wxFormBuilder for wxWidgets application), and it's still working well.

In my opinion ResEd is the best free resource editor available. I remember some issue related to windres for old version of both winres and ResEd and when a path with spaces is used. Update your configuration.

You have a very powerful tool...google. If you search "resed" yoy get, as the first answer,

http://radasm.cherrytree.at/resed/

a working link.

That link contains the latest version of resed. It is easy, isn't it?

Hope this helps

Max

zabzonk

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:44 am »
I too use ResEdit, both from within CB and outside it, and have had no problems. It would help if you said what errors you are getting. I've got a blog article here http://latedev.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/simple-windows-dialogs-from-c-part-2 on creating simple Windows dialog applications which might be of help, though it isn't CB-specific.

Offline lphilpot

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:31 am »
Thanks to all for the pointers - I'll check them out ASAP. Unfortunately I've just become very short on free time, but they're bookmarked and will definitely be explored as soon as I get time.

@MaxGaspa
It appears that RedEdit and RedEd are two different products. I tried downloading ResEd from the link you provided, but just get (php?) errors in both Opera and Firefox (eg., Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/web415/html/_sub/radasm/wp-settings.php:520) in /home/www/web415/html/_sub/radasm/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php on line 512, etc.).

Part of my reason for asking was to see if there was a favorite tool that most CB developers prefer. So, I'll keep looking - Thanks.

@Neil Butterworth
From what I could see, RedEdit looks like a good product. Here's (in a nutshell) what I saw. I created a CB project from a minimal Win32 program (not mine, it's just a tutorial of creating a status bar). Here are the stock resource files:

resource.h
#define IDI_ICON      101
#define IDC_STATUSBAR 1000

resource.rc
#include "resource.h"
IDI_ICON ICON "icon.ico"

I've not included the (130 line) C source, but you get the picture. As-is, it builds properly, but if I simply load resource.rc into RedEdit and resave it, it modifies both of them as per below, which won't build since the IDC_STATUSBAR resource is no longer there:

resource.h
#ifndef IDC_STATIC
#define IDC_STATIC (-1)
#endif

#define IDI_ICON                                101

resource.rc
// Generated by ResEdit 1.5.8
// Copyright (C) 2006-2011
// http://www.resedit.net

#include <windows.h>
#include <commctrl.h>
#include <richedit.h>
#include "resource.h"

//
// Icon resources
//
IDI_ICON           ICON           "icon.ico"

Not suprisingly, the build aborts with "C:\data\source\c\Learn_Win32\statusbar_CB\statusbar.c|88|error: 'IDC_STATUSBAR' undeclared (first use in this function)". Once again, it's probably just a ResEdit config setting I've missed, but I'm too inexperienced at this point to catch it. As is probably obvious, this is just a hobby for me and it's challenging at best to even find time to work on it, much less actually learn and retain something!  :)

Thanks for both of your replies.

zabzonk

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:06:57 pm »
You don't have a resource for the status bar in the original code, just a #define for its id.

This is off-topic here though, I'm afraid, as it really has nothing to do with Code::Blocks. Ask further questions somewhere like http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming or on StackOverflow.