Author Topic: [Q]Full screen editor and header files related!  (Read 8380 times)

Offline neo1691

• Multiple posting newcomer
[Q]Full screen editor and header files related!
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »
As promised i just used turbo c for the last semester as that was a compulsion in our college!
As my first semester exams just got over today, i reformated everything and reeinstalled windows 7 so that i can get a free developing environment for developing!
I have set up code::blocks with gcc compiler.

My questions are:
1) How to get full screen of just the editor (ie where we type the source)
2) I made some header files(.h) one file had the function initialize_stack(). I used it and its job got over. Then i made another header file and it contained the function initialize_queue(). when i included this(second) only header file in a program.  When i started to type init (to complete initialize_queue) the dropdown prompt showed initialize_stack.
In short: why are all the functions being prompted when i am just including one header file?

3) [off topic] why does exit(0) function does not work in gcc?? it used to work well in the crap turbo c?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: [Q]Full screen editor and header files related!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 03:40:40 pm »
1) In recent build there is a feature called minimal perspective and you can quickly switch to it by double clicking the tab of the file. It is not full screen but it is quite close to it.
2) Because most of the times it is better to see all function names available
3) It works without problems, here. If it doesn't ask a MinGW support site, here we support C::B only, not all the compilers it users to build code.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline neo1691

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »
1) In recent build there is a feature called minimal perspective and you can quickly switch to it by double clicking the tab of the file. It is not full screen but it is quite close to it.
2) Because most of the times it is better to see all function names available
3) It works without problems, here. If it doesn't ask a MinGW support site, here we support C::B only, not all the compilers it users to build code.

Well that was fast! :)
1)I am using 10.05 build!
2)Is there a way to change that? I mean just see the functions that are available for only the header files that are included and not all?? thats not a big issue though! ;) but suppose in that above example if i accidently use the function of stack in queue program i might get a compile error!!!
3)So i am switching from turbo c to code::blocks! so which compiler should suit me the most?? please suggest as i have just started programming and i have used turbo c in the whole of my short programming career! :)

EDIT: Double clicking on the tab is not working!! :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:03:52 pm by neo1691 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:51 pm »
1) it doesn't work in 10.05, you need a nightly build
3) mingw is okay...
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline neo1691

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:15:49 pm »
1) it doesn't work in 10.05, you need a nightly build
3) mingw is okay...

okay installing the nightly build right away!!
Do i need to get setup the mingw comipler before installing code::blocks?? or is it in built?
I had a tough time setting it up on windows vista long back!

EDIT: Mingw compiler is not there in the list of compilers??
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:18:30 pm by neo1691 »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »
MinGW is the distribution providing GDC on Windows.

For a nightly you have to install the compiler yourself.
Very famous build of GCC around here is the TDM's version, it is pretty easy to install.

Offline neo1691

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »
MinGW is the distribution providing GDC on Windows.

For a nightly you have to install the compiler yourself.
Very famous build of GCC around here is the TDM's version, it is pretty easy to install.

Ok i am uninstalling the old 10.05 version of code::blocks and downloaded the nightly version!
I hope a rookie like me would be able to cope up with the complexities of a nightly!

I am now downloading the TDM mingw gcc compiler from here http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download! Hope all goes well!!

EDIT: Successfully installed the compiler but still the dropdown list of compilers in C:B does not contains mingW compiler.
How to use the compiler i just installed with C::B
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:58:06 pm by neo1691 »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »
"GNU Gcc compiler" uses MinGW-compiler on windows.

Offline neo1691

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »
"GNU Gcc compiler" uses MinGW-compiler on windows.
Ya thats exactly what i wanted to hear!
well i wonder still how without mingw the hello world program was successfully compiled!
Anyways, i am just used to writing codes in one file and compiling it!! Thats all!! But code::blocks has so many features!
Looking forware for some real programmin!