Author Topic: default configuration(s)  (Read 11292 times)

Offline boykobb

• Single posting newcomer
default configuration(s)
« on: November 15, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »
I have noticed that, under Windows, C::B would respect a default.conf file in .../Application Data/codeblocks/ even if one has such a file in the base C::B directory.  This seems to me like an erroneous behaviour, as it is then not possible to have a portable or copiable, i.e. self-contained, version of C::B, like the one suggested near the end of 1.10.4 of the User Manual.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: default configuration(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 04:47:13 pm »
C::B supports portable usage on Windows, search the forum for Portable.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »
I have noticed that, under Windows, C::B would respect a default.conf file in .../Application Data/codeblocks/ even if one has such a file in the base C::B directory.  This seems to me like an erroneous behaviour, as it is then not possible to have a portable or copiable, i.e. self-contained, version of C::B, like the one suggested near the end of 1.10.4 of the User Manual.
If both configuration files are present, that's the expected behaviour.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline boykobb

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »
C::B supports portable usage on Windows, search the forum for Portable.
I did search, but I couldn't find what I need.
What I would like is a C::B that could be copied all to a single (any) folder, along with its own default.conf in the same folder, and independent of .conf files that may be residing elsewhere.  Is that possible to do?  Thanks.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline boykobb

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:26 pm »
Have you read this whole topic: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,10360.0.html ?
Yes – and it was all useless to me.
What is being discussed there is a separate program that:
• one must use to launch C::B instead of launching C::B directly;
• is not part of C::B, and (as I understand it) is not guaranteed to work with future versions of it;
• does things I am not sure of what they are, and I cannot observe or change;
• probably still contains bugs (we don't know).

In fact, there is a much better solution for what that launcher does: launching C::B with a non-default personality.  A .bat or .lnk file would suffice to implement this.  Unfortunately, one can still not guarantee that C::B can only be launched that way.

A cleaner solution would not need to rely on conventions, just on (pre)configuration of C::B.

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:14:00 am »
If you are fine with the way PortableApps.com applications work, you could try Code::Blocks Portable.  It is still a development test (and possibly abandoned??), however, if you make the one change mentioned in the comments, it works perfectly fine (you can even replace the internal Code::Blocks with an SVN build).