Author Topic: Add-in Dialogs for wxSmith[Solved]  (Read 9743 times)

Offline J Hildreth

• Single posting newcomer
Add-in Dialogs for wxSmith[Solved]
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:00 am »
I am new to Linux.  I am interested in experimenting with developing applications using a GUI, in other words, the equivalent of writing a Windows program but on a Linux platform.  The Linux OS I am using is Ubuntu 10.10.  I have decided to use Code::Blocks 10.05 as my IDE. I used installation instructions I found on the internet from a Student Manual for Code::Blocks used by the Dept. of Computer and Information Science
Brooklyn College of CUNY, dated 2006-2008.  These instructions also loaded wxWidgets and WxSmith.  No errors were experienced during installation and I have successfully built and executed several small test applications.

The available dialogs in my installation do not include a print dialog.  I have searched on the internet and various forums and I thought I had found a description of several "missing" dialogs for wxSmith, one of which was a print dialog.  I have not been able to relocate that information.  Does anyone have information concerning additional dialogs for wxSmith, specifically a print dialog.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:41:19 pm by J Hildreth »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Add-in Dialogs for wxSmith
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:00:33 am »
Does anyone have information concerning additional dialogs for wxSmith, specifically a print dialog.
Within a special branch (wxsmith_addons) we have integrated a lot more wxSmith stuff for testing. So either you checkout these sources and compile C::B yourself or you wait for one of the next nightlies.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02:27 am »
Does anyone have information concerning additional dialogs for wxSmith, specifically a print dialog.
Within a special branch (wxsmith_addons) we have integrated a lot more wxSmith stuff for testing. So either you checkout these sources and compile C::B yourself or you wait for one of the next nightlies.
The print-dialog is already in the nightlies under the Dialogs tab in wxSmith.

You can use my repo if you want to use a recent version build from trunk.
See my server for instructions.

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:40 am »
Jens,

I went to your site on installing on Ubuntu.  I followed all 4 of your steps and seemed to get all steps to execute successfully after a few tries.  However, when I execute Code::Blocks and open an wxwidgets project I still don't have a print dialog under the dialogs tab or any other tab for that matter.  I could still be doing something wrong or missing a step (or more).  As I mentioned in my first post, I am absolutely new to Linux.  I know essentially nothing concerning the system admin type of processes that I am sure many of you take for granted.  All of the success I have had so far is strictly due to finding the how-to on the internet, forums and wiki etc., and typing in the listed commands hoping things will work.  Most of the time I have no idea what is happening.  At this point I con only guess that the revised software files from your site, for whatever reasons, are not being downloaded and installed into my Code::Blocks application.  Any Ideas??

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:31 am »
It's part of main wxSmith, so if wxSmith is there, it should also be there.
Here is a screenshot of my Dialogs tab:

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:41 am »
Jens

My installation has only 6 dialog types under the Dialog tab; directory, multi-choice, color, file, single-choice, and symbol picker.  It is obvious that I did not successfully complete the upgrade.  If I was successful in attaching them to this post, screen shots of the About dialog and the Dialog tab contents from my Code::Blocks installation are shown below.  Should I have completely removed my Code::Blocks installation before attempting to download and install your updated version?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:31:21 am by J Hildreth »

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:51 am »
Jens

I tried again to follow the instructions for installation of wxwidgets on Ubuntu 10.10.  The responses from the install steps said that my system already had the latest copies of the files installed.  When I start Code::Blocks and start an new wxwidgets project, the Dialog tab still contains only the 6 dialog types shown in my previous post.

Offline Freem

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:02:52 am »
With distro based on debian, you have 2 files to indicate apt which package to download and install:
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/preferences

I think you have something not correctly configured.
See there for further reading about apt: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_basic_package_management_operations

PS: ubuntu use the debian system, so this doc will be useful for you on this distro too.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 10:37:49 am »
Which four steps did you follow ?
You only need
Code
deb http://apt.jenslody.de/ any main
in your sources.list or in the appropriate file in sources.list.d .

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:12 am »
Jens,

In your first response to my topic you included a link to your server.  I followed that link.  In the information on your server you had another link (maintained by pasgui) to a web page specifically for Ubuntu installations.  The four steps I followed were those listed on the Ubuntu page.  I would have tried to copy the text from that site and paste it here for your information, but that site now says it is under construction.

I will now try the single statement in your last post.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:37:32 am by J Hildreth »

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 12:12:51 am »
Jens

I tried the single statement you suggested in my sources.list file.  It generates the error message shown below.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:34:41 am by J Hildreth »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 06:31:10 am »
After adding my repo to your sources.list (what you already did), you need to import my public-key to apt's key-database:
Quote from: http://apt.jenslody.de
The best and easiest way to add my public-key to apt's trustdb is to install the package jens-lody-debian-keyring with your preferred package-manager or with:

Code
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install jens-lody-debian-keyring

Offline J Hildreth

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:40:06 pm »
Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I finally accomplished what I was trying to do, but not in the way that was being suggested.  I could never resolve the difficulty I was having updating my Code::Blocks/wxWidgets installation to capture the additional dialogs that are now available.   When running the suggested apt-get commands I would get system messages that my existing files were up to date and that no files were either downloaded or updated.  However, when I would run Code::Blocks there were no additional dialogs indicated.  I finally gave up.

Instead, I did a complete removal of Code::Blocks from my system.  Then, using the software loading instructions from topic 8208 on this forum (the same instructions I used when I installed Code::Blocks originally)  I reinstalled Code::Blocks from scratch.  This time the process loaded Code::Blocks version SVN 7508 instead of version 10.5.  The SVN version contained the additional dialogs I was looking for, so my problem has been fixed.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Joe