Author Topic: A tiny improvements  (Read 7345 times)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
A tiny improvements
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »
Hi, I think it would be quite nice if after failed compile and getting something like:
||More errors follow but not being shown.|
||Edit the max errors limit in compiler options...|

If I could let's say double click on the line "Edit the max errors limit in compiler options..." and that would bring me to the option dialog which would allow me to edit it. Without having this, especially for new users like me is a quite hard to find this dialog. And I think it is good design heuristic that says - interface should be as user friendly as possible.
Thanks.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: A tiny improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:14 pm »
Hm, why would you want to increase the number? Extreme template usage?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:55 am »
No, no, What I meant was that one would be able (if one wants to) to go there straight away, without any search for this option. It would work on similar principals as double click on error msg. If you double click on it then it moves you to the error described and you don't have to do it manually. What you're thinking?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:56 am »
I understood what you want, I'm not sure why do you want this to be automatic?
How often do you change the number?
Adding staff to the code means more maintenance.
I don't think many people would double click there or even want to go change the number.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:46 am »
I see Adding staff to the code means better/improved functionality.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:58 am »
But you've not answered my question.

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »
If the question is (because I really am not sure): "I'm not sure why do you want this to be automatic?"
My answer to this:
Because it would make user interface better/simpler to use, and also it would make user interface more friendly.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »
The question is how often do you change this value?
If it is once in the beginning of your usage of C::B, there is no point in implementing it.
If you do it twice a day, we could think about it.

p.s. if this feature is really important to you, you can provide a patch:)

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:55 am »
I don't think that 'I'm there yet' to be capable of implementing any patch. I just don't have the skills and knowledge required for such task, but you can count on me in the future, for I'm definitely going to be involved in improvements of this great project.
As for how many times I use it? Couple of times a day. But it is not really important how many times *I* use it per day. The most important thing here is (I believe) to make Code::Blocks the best IDE in the universe. If we combine our strengths, if we will get the will to improve it in every little detail - we can do that.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:35:52 am »
... But it is not really important how many times *I* use it per day....
Hm, no it is important for you, otherwise you wouldn't have started this topic.

Can you tell me why you need to change the value more than once in your usage of C::B?
What work-flow requires the usage of the option?

Offline smallB

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 11:57:33 am »
When I said:
... But it is not really important how many times *I* use it per day....
what I meant was that there are more important reasons for implementing it (not for just one user - me, but for the goodness of this IDE).
To answer to your question, well, I do few excersizes per day from  few different books, currently template metaprogramming... from boost and the c++ programming language - by Stroustrup. From time to time when I either make a progress with my task or switching to another excersize I'd like to adjust this variable (for different reasons - i.e. at the beginning of a project I set max limit of errors to just one - mostly only the first one is "real error" - the rest is just schizo from compiler, but at the later stage when my project is more developed I'd like to see more errors, because then most of them are real and I'd like to see all of them or as many as possible to get my head around what's going on).
Anyway, I think having something like this (but not only with this particular scenario) is very good way of making IDE user friendly. How many times I've read error (be it dialog box, or just text) telling me that in order to correct this error I have to do such and such but how to go there wasn't mentioned. I wasted so many hours (if not days) on searching something which should be accessible from the dialog/text line which reported this error.
Don't you think that this makes sense?