Author Topic: Long FAQ  (Read 7463 times)

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Long FAQ
« on: October 15, 2011, 04:10:51 pm »
In case anyone was wondering, I added a question to the FAQ, and was greeted by the following warning:
Warning: This page is 30 kilobytes long; some browsers may have problems editing pages approaching or longer than 32kb. Please consider breaking the page into smaller sections.
Should I (or anyone for that matter) break up the page?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Long FAQ
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »
Yes, please do. I could imagine one entry page that links to sub-pages which are separated by different topics (like general, compiling...). Another options would be one entry page with all questions linking to 1..n sub-pages with the answers, but these should also be grouped by the topics. The latter is a greater effort.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »
Take a look at how I split the FAQ; it is sort of halfway between your two suggestions, MortenMacFly.  The page works this way, however I am guessing someone might have a suggestion to better format it.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:07:35 am »
however I am guessing someone might have a suggestion to better format it.
One thing I noticed is that from the sub-pages you don't get back to the main FAQ page... or am I missing something?
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:50:57 pm »
Definitely missing something... right under the table of contents,
Return to FAQ.

I am sure you are not the only person who would miss it; how would you suggest making it more visible?  (All the ways I came up with to make the link more visible are too obtrusive.)

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:28:52 pm »
Indeed... I missed that link. :oops:

I am sure you are not the only person who would miss it; how would you suggest making it more visible?  (All the ways I came up with to make the link more visible are too obtrusive.)

I could imagine a structure like this for the main page (as you've done it mostly):

[FAQ_MAIN]
 Section 1 -> links to sub-page 1
   FAQ1  -> links to FAQ1 on sub-page 1
   FAQ2  -> links to FAQ2 on sub-page 1
   (...)
 Section 2
   FAQ(n)  -> links to FAQ(n) on sub-page 2
   FAQ(n+1)  -> links to FAQ(n+1) on sub-page 2
 (...)

...and then the sub-pages:

[FAQ_SECTION1]
 Return to FAQ -> link to [FAQ_MAIN]
 Section 1
   FAQ1  -> links to FAQ1 on this sub-page 1 (below)
   FAQ2  -> links to FAQ2 on this sub-page 1 (below)
 (...)

FAQ1: What is...?!
  Answer: 42.

...and so on. This way you'd have a main page where you can read all section, questions, then jump to a sub-page either directly to the answer to your FAQ or the index of the sub-page.

Just my 2 cents... ;-)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
OFF: What will happen with the old links? Would they still work?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:09:35 pm »
I could imagine a structure like this for the main page (as you've done it mostly) ...
So what you are suggesting is that I move the few remaining questions I left on the Main FAQ to their own subpage as well?

...and then the sub-pages ...
Is the only change here moving "Return to FAQ." above the table of contents?
I could additionally increase its size to make the text more visible.  (Or would that just look strange?)

OFF: What will happen with the old links? Would they still work?
I (am fairly certain that I) have already and fixed all the links on other wiki-pages to point correctly.  External links that point directly to a question will be redirected to the top of the main FAQ page.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 07:13:04 pm »
Can we have some kind of redirects?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:24:43 pm »
Can we have some kind of redirects?
From what I can tell, the only type of redirect I could set up would be if it was a completely different page the external link was referencing.  In this situation, an HTML anchor causes the browser to jump to the correct line; because the anchor does not exist (anymore), the browser defaults to the top of the page (without requesting anything further from the wiki server).
However, I could change the index on the main page so that each question is an anchor -> external links will jump to the question in the index of the main page; the viewer would then click on the link to see the actual question.

...and then the sub-pages ...
I am curious, would the sub-pages look better if they did not use a primary heading (which essentially duplicates the title of the page) before the questions?

Offline Alpha

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:00 pm »
HTML anchors added; small changes in formatting of sub-pages.