Author Topic: Using Code::Blocks Screen Capture Commercially  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Xander314

• Single posting newcomer
    • SFML Coder
Using Code::Blocks Screen Capture Commercially
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:34 am »
I have a load of YouTube video tutorials (for C++, C++11 and SFML), which extensively feature the Code::Blocks IDE since I use it for development.

I now want to place ads on the videos in order to cover the cost of the time used to make the videos. However, according to YouTube's account monetization page, I can't advertise on videos with software screen capture without being able to show written permission.

Does the Code::Blocks license constitute this permission (or does, indeed, the GPL disallow me from using screen captures of Code::Blocks commercially)? Otherwise, who should I contact to seek permission?

Offline Dreamy

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Using Code::Blocks Screen Capture Commercially
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »
Isn't this thread similar to this one?

I think it shouldn't be any problem, though if you make money from that, a Donation for Code::Blocks project would be fair...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:11:28 pm by Dreamy »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:40:41 am »
However, according to YouTube's account monetization page, I can't advertise on videos with software screen capture without being able to show written permission.
This may apply to commercial software, but IMHO should not apply to GPL based software as long as you don't do commercials you are earning money with (at cost of C::B).
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Xander314

• SFML Coder
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:36:51 am »
Isn't this thread similar to this one?
Similar, not the same ;) On that thread, he just wants to provide the videos free of charge, which I am already doing.

as long as you don't do commercials you are earning money with
I would be earning money from them. Does that mean I can't do it? :(

EDIT: If not, who should I ask for permission? (@MortenMcFly Is it you? :) )

EDIT EDIT:
a Donation for Code::Blocks project would be fair...
I doubt I'll make very much revenue at all, but if I do then I agree that the developers of Code::Blocks, and those of SFML, deserve a donation :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:42:22 pm by Xander314 »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:24 pm »
as long as you don't do commercials you are earning money with
I would be earning money from them. Does that mean I can't do it? :(
What I meant if if that would be your #1 income, not to cover the costs for the time you spend on creating free, valuable content. In addition, I would prefer if you make clear that the commercials are in no way related to Code::Blocks in the trailer or alike... and surely don't show ads where you need to be 18 years or above... ;-)

EDIT: If not, who should I ask for permission? (@MortenMacFly Is it you? :) )
It would be a decision of the team, not me alone. But I think we shouldn't make things too complicated. I'd say just do, unless you hear otherwise.

However, if you really should earn a "certain amount" of money, I believe a donation won't be wrong. But surely we won't / can't control, so we just trust you.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Xander314

• SFML Coder
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:47:22 pm »
What I meant if if that would be your #1 income, not to cover the costs for the time you spend on creating free, valuable content
Well I'm 16, so I don't really have any other income ;)

In addition, I would prefer if you make clear that the commercials are in no way related to Code::Blocks in the trailer or alike... and surely don't show ads where you need to be 18 years or above...
I can make clear on my channel or in the title after the video that the adverts aren't endorsed by you. And it's powered by Google AdSense, so I doubt there would be a problem with mature content :P

But I think we shouldn't make things too complicated. I'd say just do, unless you hear otherwise.
Okay then, I guess that counts as written permission ;) Thanks for your time :)

Offline Dreamy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:25:20 am »
Okey I've watched those videos and I'm pretty sure this won't make this young man a new Bill Gate$.
I've never seen 15 minutes of video tutorial touching just the very thin layer of what is #include, main and cout...
but... good luck, I guess it'll get better... Anyway, at least it shows Code::Blocks to beginners, which is fine.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:28:13 am by Dreamy »

Offline Xander314

• SFML Coder
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:07:01 am »
Okey I've watched those videos and I'm pretty sure this won't make this young man a new Bill Gate$.
Thanks for your support... anyway, I'm not expecting it to, it just seems worth a try.

The reason it starts so slowly is that I specifically didn't want to do what many others have done and have a load of lines (#include <iostream>, int main(), etc) which I just told the viewer 'you don't need to understand yet, but they have to be in every program'. I don't know how well I actually explained them to beginners, but I wanted to try.

As the viewer learns more, the pace of learning can increase.

good luck, I guess it'll get better