Author Topic: Help on C in CODE::BLOCKS  (Read 8837 times)

Offline manmeetvirdi

• Single posting newcomer
Help on C in CODE::BLOCKS
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »
Hi there,
I was wondering if I can get detailed help on various C instruction under code::blocks.
For example I need to know how to use the instruction "FOR" in C.
As of now I need to go to external sourced for this.
Regards,
Manmeet.

Offline codeur

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Code::Blocks EDU-Portable
Re: Help on C in CODE::BLOCKS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:31:28 am »
With Code::Blocks you can organise the help you want via the menus.

The official distribution does not package C or C++ language help for you, but several non-official distributions do.
The educational distribution for Windows "Codeblocks EDU-portable", at http://codeblocks.codecutter.org (not supported on these forums) comes with extensive programmer's help.

Codeblocks EDU-Portable provides help on C/C++ functions and keywords (like for) by pressing F1 while the editor cursor is on the function name or keyword. More help topics are available via the Help menu.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:35:08 am by codeur »

Offline manmeetvirdi

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:31:27 am »
Thanks codeur
That's what i was looking for. Now I can press F1 and get the help on instruction which Iam using. This will help me learn the things faster.

But now I have got two programs installed a) "Codeblocks" downloaded from http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads and b) "Codeblocks-EP" downloaded from the link which you gave.

Are these two program same?
What differences these two programs have?
Does "Codeblocks-EP" have the same functionality as "codeblocks" Version 10.05? 

Again thanks for your time,
Regards,
Manmeet.

Offline codeur

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Code::Blocks EDU-Portable
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:52:20 am »
The Codeblocks-EP page tells you what it is. Of course it is the same IDE as Code::Blocks 10.05, just a more recent version of the same software. It is only the set up that is special, with features that make it easier to learn programming.
It is used by several colleges and universities.

The main differences are this:
Codeblocks-EP adds programmer's help, simple 2D graphic libraries, a more recent (and more standards-compliant) version of the MinGW GCC compiler, useful tools, portability, so you can carry it around on a usb stick or portable HDD, etc...
Mostly it promotes good standards in C and in C++ by having strict compiler flags set by default in projects. This means that by default it will raise errors or warnings if  you use C syntax that is not valid, whereas 10.05 will let you get away by default with using GNU extensions and other invalid C constructs.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:23:05 am by codeur »

Offline manmeetvirdi

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »
Got it. Will use only Codeblocks-EP and wil uninstall Codeblocks.

Thanks for your help Codeur.