Author Topic: Making a automake like tar file  (Read 9150 times)

Offline LonelySTar

• Multiple posting newcomer
Making a automake like tar file
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:37:59 am »
Hello together,
Is it possible to export a project into a automake like tar file? So that the packet can bes installed doing:
tar xvzf ...
./configure
make
make install
???
Thanks,
Nathan

Offline LonelySTar

Re: Making a automake like tar file
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 08:01:57 pm »
Mmhh ... It says, that with the new version, C::B uses automake for non-windows platforms (I am using Linux). But I can not find any automake files in the project directorie...???

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 08:12:20 pm »
The source distribution of codeblocks for linux uses automake to build install it. When installed you can forget autotools, codeblocks generates command line arguments for the compiler and invokes it one command at a time.
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:06:32 pm »
And you can generate a makefile.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:42:38 pm »
And you can generate a makefile.
Isn't that disabled in current SVN because it was way outdated and didn't work properly anymore?

Offline LonelySTar

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 10:04:10 pm »
I have somewhere read of a scons plugin. Does it exist?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:23:56 pm by rickg22 »

Offline LonelySTar

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 10:28:31 pm »
Mmmh ... ok. Is anybody doing a cross-platform project  distributed as source here?
I mean, I have a atotoolset project, and a I am thinking of using C::B. Is there an elegant way?

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:49:54 pm »
Well, there's Code::Blocks itself, of course. Only available as source and Windows binaries. Unfortunately they don't use autotools in any elegant way as far as I can tell, they just update the files manually (and, as it seems from reading the Unix/Linux boards, usually a bit late Rolling Eyes)...

Unfortunately they don't use autotools in any elegant way as far as I can tell, they just update the files manually (and, as it seems from reading the Unix/Linux boards, usually a bit late :roll:)...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:59:28 pm by rickg22 »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:00:37 pm »
Unfortunately they don't use autotools in any elegant way as far as I can tell, they just update the files manually (and, as it seems from reading the Unix/Linux boards, usually a bit late :roll:)...

Urxae: That gives me a GREAT idea! How about adding, besides "generate makefile", a "generate autotools files"?

P.S. I was supposed to quote you but it seems i messed up and edited YOUR post instead. Sorry :oops: but it's fixed now.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 11:32:35 pm »

:|
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 11:50:25 pm »

Urxae: That gives me a GREAT idea! How about adding, besides "generate makefile", a "generate autotools files"?
I was thinking after I posted that: "that might be an idea for a plugin, though"...

P.S. I was supposed to quote you but it seems i messed up and edited YOUR post instead. Sorry :oops: but it's fixed now.
hehe... no problem, looks intact except for the 'edited by rickg22' part :).

:|
Not that I personally mind, I use C::B itself to compile anyway.
Just my conclusions drawn from the forum spamming generated whenever files are added to the project...
Feel free to consider it motivation to automate this through a plugin or C::B change though ;). Or perhaps to make it part of the big compiler plugin overhaul you guys have planned post-1.0 if that'll work out better.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:52:09 pm by Urxae »