Author Topic: Automaticlly building all files in folder without a custom makefile?  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Eriond

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Automaticlly building all files in folder without a custom makefile?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »
Well, for example, if an enum is defined in a managed class header, the script will pick up on it, and register the enum, and stick the stringified enum values into a map, as well as the actual values of those enums; allowing me to to translate to ints from strings with those enum values (useful in config files, and in-game script), as well as back from ints (useful in writing the config back to the file, etc..).

Granted, I could easily register these manually, but it seems to me that maintaining a lot of interdependent duplicate code is probably more trouble than maintaining the script, even if not using the script would allow me to keep everything in one language, and reduce complexity slightly (the script is only ~300 lines).

Offline mirai

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Automaticlly building all files in folder without a custom makefile?
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »
Yeah, it's hard to overcome the power of meta-programming with regular language features :D

The C++ as we know it was born as preprocessed extension of the C language, and now it seems that we need a new language built upon meta-programming paradigm with plain C at the bottom of a language extension stack.

As for your initial question, I think auto-generated projects or makefiles (probably, template-based) is the way to go.