Author Topic: wxsmith non-sizer design desired changes  (Read 11777 times)

Offline cbexaminr

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxsmith non-sizer design desired changes
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:37:42 am »
wxSmith somewhat supports non-sizer based form design.

There is some functionality apparently missing (multi-item selection and positioning) that could make this usage easier (and that I desire.) 

Is the idea of such changes anathema to those in charge or responsible for wxSmith, or would patches for such functionality be received and applied if acceptably implememted?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: wxsmith non-sizer design desired changes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:34:06 am »
Is the idea of such changes anathema to those in charge or responsible for wxSmith, or would patches for such functionality be received and applied if acceptably implememted?
Sure, but you should consider, that sizer-less design is really not a good approach to do and the wx guys themselves do not advise to do so.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:40 am »
Huh, cbexaminr why would you want to build GUIs without the sizers, they are such pain savers? :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
Huh, cbexaminr why would you want to build GUIs without the sizers, they are such pain savers? :)

Because my brain finds sizers "too complex" to easily, quickly formulate form designs, and quickly experiment with layout changes. :)

There are, I believe, a lot of us left in the world who have successfully built forms without sizers for a long time.

I have played with them, but either they are a bit "complex" for Rapid layout changes, or my mind just hasn't figured out the correct approach to applying them to make this easy.

When I want a particular relationship between displayed items, I cannot simply grab (an) item(s) and move them to obtain that, I have to stop and think, ok, what combination of, possibly nested, sizing items are necessary to achieve that - and then in some cases, may still have to add additional spacers, which upon deciding to re-arrange may have to be deleted or altered (in addition to the primary components).

Sizers, in my attempts thus far, require more effort to use.  _maybe_ they are better to obtain good cross-platform results, but if that is not a requirement or useful, then they appear to simply be more (mental) implementation overhead to use.

Oh, and some of us work for people who also find sizer-based form design difficult, and, are more likely to move to a different tool supporting a more familiar paradigm, than a different tool that does not. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:29:18 pm by cbexaminr »

Offline Dahman

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 01:26:50 pm »
Because my brain finds sizers "too complex" to easily, quickly formulate form designs, and quickly experiment with layout changes.
+1  :)

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:25 pm »
Oh, and some of us work for people who also find sizer-based form design difficult, and, are more likely to move to a different tool supporting a more familiar paradigm, than a different tool that does not. :)
Probably you're talking about braindamage, caused by MFC.
Sizers are a total win, when you have re-sizable dialogs/forms.

In the old days, when I was working with MFC, I've my custom made layout manager to make things bearable.

But if you use this feature and know how to make it better, go for it:)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline cbexaminr

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »
Sizers are a total win, when you have re-sizable dialogs/forms.

I'm not convinced sizers, at least as currently implemented in java and wxwidgets, are the only way to achieve re-sizable dialogs/forms.  Or cross-platform "reasonableness", either.

But, that's another experimental project unto itself.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »
Sizers, in my attempts thus far, require more effort to use.  _maybe_ they are better to obtain good cross-platform results, but if that is not a requirement or useful, then they appear to simply be more (mental) implementation overhead to use.
Its not really related to cross-platform, but rather to different fonts (sizes) setup. Try to setup an OS to a different DPI number (e.g. 120). Dialogs without sizers will behave very bad as nothing will fit anymore. So you've to do the layout yourself then as it is screwed, usually.

However, coming back to the topic: Probably it's better to implement a more intuitive (WYSIWYG) drag&drop for sizer-based layouts in wxSmith. That's something I always find quite annoying.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline hibbity

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:58 pm »
wxSmith somewhat supports non-sizer based form design.

There is some functionality apparently missing (multi-item selection and positioning) that could make this usage easier (and that I desire.)  

Agree, it would be nice to have this, for alignment purposes, for a non-sizer gui design.
A "nudge" tool would be suited to this as well.

I am happy to see that the non-sizer option is available in codeblocks.  There are some applications (industrial controls for example) where you may want the layout to be fixed in all aspects.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:36:43 pm by hibbity »