Author Topic: Sources pack wont compile on linux because of DOS linebreaks  (Read 5797 times)

AlexiaDeath

Sources pack wont compile on linux because of DOS linebreaks
« on: November 23, 2005, 10:06:28 pm »
  :shock: the downloadabele souces pack Wont compile under Linux because of the line breaks! And it majorly linux users who download sources to build them!  :x I just spent 4 hours trying to figure it out! finally i gave up and got the sources from CVS--- And presto! no more mess... Whats the point of offering the pack, if its not even usable... Just a little pissed here... Loved it on windows and wanted to try crossing over... IF I get it running il probably love it on linux too... Until then... Perhaps offering separate source packs for systems that dont really like dos linebreaks? especialy in the middle of file names?

EDIT: got it runing with the CVSsources and its COOL... Good job everybody;) Just do something about that sources pack...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:18:50 pm by AlexiaDeath »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Sources pack wont compile on linux because of DOS linebreaks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 10:20:20 pm »
Look at it from the bright side.
RC2 is actually already history, RC3 is not out yet, as in cvs now, those problems are gone. The RC's are not the final product yet, so one has to take them as they are. To me, it is like that also, something new is good, another thing is broken and can either make you decide not to use it, or use it and live with it until fixed (note, things get fixed quickly around here).
For example, an annoying bug in RC2 was when you select stuff and right click to get to an action, the selection was lost (note : solved in cvs ;-)  ).

I have build CB on linux based upon the source rmp build by Daniel, it was on suse 10 that I builded it. It was my first ever thing to build under linux (experimenting in linux for the moment).

I use CB 98% under Windows, but I am planning to moe to linux and to more stuff there in the near future ... I hope ...

kind regards,
and keep up the faith in CB,
Lieven
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:22:00 pm by killerbot »

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:22:52 pm »
Well, a simple 'dos2unix *' before bootstrap solves this problem. And there are many places in this forum where you could find this information and maybe there is even a hint on the main page or in the wiki (I'm not sure about that at the moment).
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

AlexiaDeath

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:36:33 pm »
there is an instruction in the wiki under debian instalation section. I have slackware so ofcouse did not take a deep look into it. and unlike debian, geting dos2unix is not so fast and easy for slackware. and as soon as i figured this one out i chose one of the mentioned cources in the wiki, getting the cvs  :D  I just resent slightly knowingly offering a faulty package... Not offering anything and guiding pople directly to CVS woul be the best course IMHO ;) Oh, and I do admire the great work youve done with it... I never got into Dev C++ But Im most cerianly getting int this :)

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:14:25 pm »
Well, the cvs-version has one big problem: it is always changing and due to those changes sometimes even broken or at least unstable. Most people would not be happy using those versions. Stable releases as 1.0RC2 are what they need. Maybe there are some features missing or even some bugs in there which are already fixed in the cvs-version - but they can work with these releases.
Thus I believe that Code::Blocks is (in this respect) on the right way - providing stable releases for the people who want to work with Code::Blocks and providing cvs (or in future: svn) access to the latest development version for those people who want to work on Code::Blocks.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

AlexiaDeath

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 02:57:43 pm »
I could not agree more! offering a stable release is RIGHTTM and GOODTM!

IF the stable release sources are compilable and indeed STABLETM.

Witch is the point Im trying to make here.

When one downloads a STABLE sources pack one EXPECTS that the source in it itself is indeed COMPILABLE unless there is something wrong with ones system...

sethjackson

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 03:22:27 pm »
I could not agree more! offering a stable release is RIGHTTM and GOODTM!

IF the stable release sources are compilable and indeed STABLETM.

Witch is the point Im trying to make here.

When one downloads a STABLE sources pack one EXPECTS that the source in it itself is indeed COMPILABLE unless there is something wrong with ones system...

Whoa hold on no need to shout. :) There is one source pack for all OS's. The only thing is line endings. UNIX and Windows use a different style. As of RC2 the sources were compiled on Windows. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore if you want to compile on BSD, Linux etc. you need to run dos2unix. :) It is pretty simple and this information is in the Wiki. :)

AlexiaDeath

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:55:52 am »
 8) the information should be right next to the download or better yet offer two downloads...