Author Topic: SOLVED:installing wxWidgets2.9.1 on CB  (Read 9985 times)

Offline ubuntix

• Single posting newcomer
SOLVED:installing wxWidgets2.9.1 on CB
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:20 pm »
Hi,

Till now, i used wx2.8.x in CB ( ubuntu ). I'd like to work with wxWidgets2.9.1. When i start a new project,  the wizzard ask me which wx i want, but
when i compile, the headers are thoose of old WX. Even if i give the right path in my project options.

In my environement settings->headers setting I don't have wx2.9, only 2.8 with all widgets headers defined.

I compiled wxWidgets2.9.1-SVN with the classical ./configure, make, make install. wx-config returns the good path and libs and i can compile the samples of wx2.9 so i think the library is correctly installed and I missed something in CB
can you help me.

thanks

btw: my  provider ( FREE.FR ) has blacklisted your IP! it was impossible to register because your onfirmation mail was rejected.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:16:56 pm by ubuntix »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: installing wxWidgets2.9.1 on CB
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:23 am »
If you are on linux, you don't need environment variables or other settings (search-path etc), just use wx-config.
To specify a version you can define per project or per target "Custom variables" in "Build options -> Custom variables" to chose between wx2.9 and wx2.8 or chose he debug or release build.

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:40:16 am »
hi,
thanks for your reply.
Yes i'm on linux/ubuntu.

My question was about my headers locations in general, and all the environment.
I can "force" the headers location in my project option, but i'm surprised i have to do it.
Previously, i had 2 wxWidgets libraries installed 2.8 and 2.6.
During project creation, the wizard asked me which wxidgets i needed and that was all.
Now, i select 2.9 and i still use the 2.8 headers if i don't force te default location in my project options.

Furthermore, when i look in Environment settings->Environment Variables I have 3 groups:
CodeBlocks, wxWidgets_2.8 and wxWidgets_2.6 with all components defined with the right headers files.
But nothing about WX2.9. 

I post not only to recover thoose lovely widgets  i can't live without. Its because i have compilations errors i can't explain. When i use "find declaration" of a class for instance, i must select 2 headers files for the 2.9 and 2.8. So i'm not sure the compiler use the good one. A mix could explain the errors i have.

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »
After further investigations, it seems that CodeBlocks use the right location to display the declarations, but the compiler use an other one.
I inserted some syntax errors in the headers of wx2.9. The compiler was always happy, but codeblocks shown me the changes in the files.
As soon i changed the header of 2.8, the compiler detected the error.
In my Projetc->Build options for the whole project ( not for debug nor release ) i have in "search diretories":/usr/locale/include/wx-2.9     
in my Project->Compiler settings->other options i have `wx-config --cflags`
and wx-config -cflags gives

Code
~$ wx-config --cflags
-I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__WXGTK__ -pthread

and my files are indeed in /usr/local/include/wx-2.9

I don't understand where the includes of wx2.8 used by the compiler are coming from.
What did i made wrong ?

Thanks.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
If you use wx-config, you should not set the include dirs directly !
Use it also for linking (with --libs parameter) in "Linker settings -> Other linker settings".

Turn on full commandline logging ( seeh http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_troubleshoot_an_compiler_problem.3F ) to see what's used as commandline for the compiler.

Make sure there are no global search paths set ("Settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Global compiler settings -> [your compiler] -> Search directories").
If you are there you should also check the linker settings.

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:24:03 pm »
if i look in the log window i have:

Code

g++ -Wall -DWX_PRECOMP  -g  -pg -g -Wunused-variable -Wno-deprecated -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread    -I/usr/include/mysql  -c /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/wx_pch.h -o wx_pch.h.gch/Debug_wx_pch_h_gch

g++ -Wall -DWX_PRECOMP  -g  -pg -g -Wunused-variable -Wno-deprecated -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread    -I/usr/include/mysql  -c /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/GUIFrame.cpp -o obj/Debug/GUIFrame.o

No wx2.9
in the build options of the project,  compiler->other options : nothing
linker settings : all empty
search directories : all empty
all options specific to the project are empty exept WX_PRECOMP  
in the global settings , my other optons of the compiler are:

Code
Wunused-variable
-Wno-deprecated
`wx-config --cflags`

in search direct. i: /usr/include/mysql

if I change the global setting wx-config to wxKonfig the log change to this

Code
g++ -Wall -DWX_PRECOMP  -O2  -pg -g -Wunused-variable -Wno-deprecated    -I/usr/include/mysql  -c /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/wx_pch.h -o wx_pch.h.gch/Release_wx_pch_h_gch

wx-Konfig is unknown so wx-config in the global settings is the command actually executed.

But, under CodeBlocks wc-config gives : -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8

and in a console it gives : -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9

In settings, neither for  global nor project i have nothing relating to wx2.8, except in Header fixup configuration where i have all headers files for wx2.8 and 2.6 but they are only filemanes, without path.

if insteed of wx-config --cflagfs i type wx-config --version=2.9 -cflags , command is not executed, i have no include in the compiler command line.

I have no environment variables defined.
Should I ?

thank

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:42:12 pm by ubuntix »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:11 pm »
I have no environment variables defined.
Should I ?

Do you have environment variables that are related to wxWidgets in your console ?

What's the output of wx-config --list ?

If you use --version or whatever parameters to specify the wxWidgets libs to use, the configuration-script needs to have either release or debug in the name to be found by wx-config (in fact wx-config is a symlink to one of the scripts).
Yours is most likely called /usr/local/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9.
You can either use it directly (instead of wx-config) or create a symlink to /usr/lo cal/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-static-2.9 (instead of release use debug, if it is a debug-build).
If that does not work, try to put the symlink into /usr/lib/wx/config/ .

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:15:17 am »
I already tried to add --version=2.9 like this wx-config -cflags --version=2.9. Codeblocks don't accept it but it works in a console. With version=2.8, same result.

Code
:~$ wx-config --list

Default config is gtk2-unicode-static-2.9

Default config will be used for output

Alternate matches:
    gtk2-unicode-2.9

Also available in /usr/local:
    gtk2-ansi-debug-2.8
    gtk2-ansi-debug-2.9
    gtk2-ansi-release-2.8
    gtk2-ansi-release-2.9
    gtk2-unicode-debug-2.9
    gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
    gtk2-unicode-release-2.9

in console, env gives a lot of things with noting to do with widgets.

I don't understand this

create a symlink to /usr/local/lib/wx/config/gtk2-unicode-release-static-2.9

I have no problem to link, i just can't compile with the good headers. and anyway, i usually add the libs in the buils options.
I noticed somethng else:
wx-config in console returns /usr/locale/include/.....
but in codeblocks log i have /usr/include.....
see my previous post

and in fact, if i rename /usr/include/wx-2.8 to wx2.8a codeblocks don't find any header.

And something strange too in my log.

Code
g++ -Wall -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread  -Winvalid-pch -include wx_pch.h -DWX_PRECOMP  -g  -pg -g -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread  -Wunused-variable -Wno-deprecated   -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -I/usr/include/mysql  -c /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/GUIFrame.cpp -o obj/Debug/GUIFrame.o
cc1plus: warning: ./wx_pch.h.gch/Release_wx_pch_h_gch: not used because `__OPTIMIZE__' not defined
In file included from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/platform.h:711,
                 from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/defs.h:26,
                 from /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/wx.h:15,
                 from /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/GUIFrame.h:19,
                 from /home/moi/aMule-SVN-r10490/MyAmulePrj/GUIFrame.cpp:19:
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/chkconf.h:94:9: error: #error "wxUSE_ANY must be defined, please read comment near the top of this file."
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/chkconf.h:102:9: error: #error "wxUSE_CONSOLE_EVENTLOOP must be defined, please read comment near the top of this file."

../.. and so on

As you can see, it seem that wx-config is called AFTER something else as i have include path of wx2.9 ( result of wx-config) after wx2.8.

what i made now: i made a small bath called sdcc installed in the right directory. Of course i don't have this compiler ( sdcc ).
This batch is just :

echo param for icc==>

because at first i wanted to do it for icc ...

and now my log is

Code
sdcc -Wall -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__WXGTK__ -pthread  -Winvalid-pch -include wx_pch.h -DWX_PRECOMP  -g    -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9  -c GUIFrame.cpp -o obj/Debug/GUIFrame.o
param for icc==>
sdcc -Wall -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__WXGTK__ -pthread  -Winvalid-pch -include wx_pch.h -DWX_PRECOMP  -g    -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9  -c MyAmulePrjApp.cpp -o obj/Debug/MyAmulePrjApp.o
param for icc==>

I don't have any wx-2.8 in the path. It seem's i have a something defined for g++, called previously to wx-config and "hidden".
Now back to g++. If i erase every wx-config or additionnal search path for global or project setting ( what a mess) , the log still show a call to wx-2.8.
i removed all the headers of my project and the precomp headers=> same thing wx-2.8 still there

As i told you, i still have in Settings->Environement>Header-fixup configuration ( see attachment ) a lot of stuff about the old versions of widgets ( 2.8, 2.6 ) and codeblocks.
I wonder if it can't have something to see with. 

reg.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:50 am »
Do you have anything set in  "Settings -> Compiler and debugger -> Global compler settings -> [the compiler you use]" ?
Especially in "Search directories"  an other compiler/linker options ?
Try wx-config with additional parameter --prefix=/usr/local:
Code
wx-config --prefix=/usr/local --version=2.9 --unicode --cxxflags

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:44:19 am »
Now i just have:

for global settings
in compiler -> search directories : /usr/include/mysql
in compiler->compiler settings : nothing
""                linker                : nothing
""             -> toolchain          : g++, gcc, gdb, ...,  without parameters

everything is void.

btw, codeblocks version is: 7015 SVN

if I "grep -i -r wx-2.8" all the ini files in the .codeblocks dir * I have nothing,
if I "grep -i -r wx-2.8" in my project dir i have all dependencies of headers files in .depend
same thing with grep wx-2.9
and nowhere something looking like a single path.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 09:02:47 am »
Did you try this:
Try wx-config with additional parameter --prefix=/usr/local:
Code
wx-config --prefix=/usr/local --version=2.9 --unicode --cxxflags

If C::B is started from menu or with double-clicking on a project-file it might have different environment variables, especially different order in system searchpath (not a C::B issue, it's OS/windomanager-specific).
So you can try what happens if you start it from a console.

If you put env in the projects pre-build steps, you can see the environment variables, that are visible by the compiler.

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:08 am »
sorry for delay, i'm recompiling wxWidgets.
I made the changes you suggested, and now i don't have wx2.8 anymore in my log .
But now i have some weird errors i need to fix to be sure. They seem to come purely from wx, as it's a SVN build, an compilation needs a couples of hours...
I'll keep you in touch ,and anyway, thanks VERY MUCH for the time you spent.

Offline ubuntix

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
hi,
Back again.

After some investigations it seems to work.

Maybe could it be useful for others.

on my system I have several wx-config installed.
one in /usr/local/bin & another one in /usr/bin
if I run

Code
:/$ /usr/bin/wx-config --cxxflags
-I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8 -I/usr/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D__WXGTK__ -pthread
and 2nd location
Code
/$ /usr/local/bin/wx-config --cxxflags
-I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-static-2.9 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.9 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__WXGTK__ -pthread

and my path is:
Code
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
And it seems to be the problem:

When I enter run wx-config with no path, in a terminal, i use my system path, and the first found is /usr/local/bin , and wx-config returns the right lib 2.9.
But CodeBlocks seems to "spawn" wx-config with another path, /usr/bin i guess, and it return the wrong lib 2.8.
MAybe is there a parameter somewhere in CB to define a path for the shell, but i don't know where.
I changed the path of the compiler/linker but no change.
For me it's solved.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:02:42 pm »
When I enter run wx-config with no path, in a terminal, i use my system path, and the first found is /usr/local/bin , and wx-config returns the right lib 2.9.
But CodeBlocks seems to "spawn" wx-config with another path, /usr/bin i guess, and it return the wrong lib 2.8.
MAybe is there a parameter somewhere in CB to define a path for the shell, but i don't know where.
I changed the path of the compiler/linker but no change.
For me it's solved.
That's what I meant:
If C::B is started from menu or with double-clicking on a project-file it might have different environment variables, especially different order in system searchpath (not a C::B issue, it's OS/windomanager-specific).
[...]
If you put env in the projects pre-build steps, you can see the environment variables, that are visible by the compiler.

You can use the environment variables plugin (part of the contrib-plugins) to create sets of environment variables and chose which one to use in the "Project -> Properties -> EnvVars options".