Author Topic: The path contains too many '..' - annoying warning  (Read 7222 times)

PMike

The path contains too many '..' - annoying warning
« on: November 07, 2005, 09:38:52 am »
I have a lot of files with relative paths (therefore, they contain "..\.." in its path). C::B drops error every time I open my workspace. So, I have two questions:
1. Why this warning is being dropped? C::B work fine after that
2. How to remove these warnings?

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: The path contains too many '..' - annoying warning
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:39:23 am »
Just a note: This message is generated by the underlying wxWidgets at:
[wxWidgets]/src/common/filename.cpp:966 (as of version 2.6.1).
I had this error as well and I replaced the relative path to the library that causes this errror (in my case!) with a direct one configured by a custom variable.

Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

PMike

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 10:44:09 am »
Custom variable is not an option for me, since I've to place workspace in different dirs on different machines. So, relative paths is my preference.

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 11:01:30 am »
Custom variable is not an option for me, since I've to place workspace in different dirs on different machines. So, relative paths is my preference.

Ehm, you realize you can set variables on a per-machine basis as well, right? (Settings -> Compiler -> Custom variables)
If you're using the CVS version, Global User Variables are probably an even better idea because they produce a prompt on opening the project asking what their value should be if they haven't been set yet.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:47:28 am »
Ehm, you realize you can set variables on a per-machine basis as well, right? (Settings -> Compiler -> Custom variables)
Before you start modifying a dozen projects of yours, please note that global compiler variables are a new (experimental) feature which has only been in CVS for 10 days. At the present time, we are still testing it.

Although rather unlikely, it is still possible that we find an issue which forces us to modify the syntax of global user variables. This has already happened once during the last week when the scope resolution operator had to be changed from "::" to "#".
If you start using gcv in dozens of projects now and we change the syntax tomorrow, you will have to modify all of your projects again.

When we are confident that you will not blow away your foot using gcv, documentation on how to use them correctly will be released.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

PMike

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 12:44:34 pm »
I'm using latest release (1.0 RC2) and don't use CVS bulds - I'd like experimantal features to be stabilized.
Thanks you guys for suggestions, but my first two questions are still unanswered (especially 1st one). Does anyone know?

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 01:01:29 pm »
Before you start modifying a dozen projects of yours, please note that global compiler variables are a new (experimental) feature which has only been in CVS for 10 days. At the present time, we are still testing it.

I think you quoted the wrong sentence from my post ;).

Although rather unlikely, it is still possible that we find an issue which forces us to modify the syntax of global user variables. This has already happened once during the last week when the scope resolution operator had to be changed from "::" to "#".
If you start using gcv in dozens of projects now and we change the syntax tomorrow, you will have to modify all of your projects again.

When we are confident that you will not blow away your foot using gcv, documentation on how to use them correctly will be released.

Right, forgot to mention all that.

Offline k1mgy

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 03:11:53 am »
I have a similar situation for which I cannot find a solution.

- I don't use Code::Blocks for the compile/link cycle, just editing
- There are references to headers that are formed:
  #include "../../../libs/AEMFunctions/AEMFunctions.h"
  #include "../../../libs/mini_lib/mini.h"
- I don't want to change my code so that Code::Blocks will not complain

Every time I save my file, Code::Blocks tells me:

16:11:28: The path 'I:AEMFunctions.h' contains too many ".."!
  16:11:28: The path 'I:mini.h' contains too many ".."!

Is there any way to turn off this warning?