Author Topic: [10.05] Scrolling and focus issues  (Read 6688 times)

Offline UberNewb

• Multiple posting newcomer
[10.05] Scrolling and focus issues
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:19 am »
I recently installed Code::Blocks 10.05 after using 8.02 for several years and I noticed some changes to the way the interface works. It used to be that you could change the panel in focus by hovering the mouse over the panel that you wanted to focus on. This is no longer the case with 10.05. This means I can no longer scroll a specific pane by hovering over it first. This is incredibly irritating and I don't know why it was changed. 10.05 may have major updates in it, but this is so bothersome that I'm going back to using version 8.02. Windows Explorer is the same way, they still haven't learned that when a user hovers over a different pane and uses the mouse wheel, that they want to scroll the pane the mouse is over, not the pane currently in focus.

Can this become a configuration setting, so that I can once again scroll the project file pane and the log pane without having to click on them first? Something like a 'Hover changes focus' option would be really nice.

Edit :
Apparently 8.02 works the same way as 10.05 does. I know there was a way to get the focus to change with the mouse hover, but I can't find it in either version.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:23:10 am by UberNewb »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: [10.05] Scrolling and focus issues
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:29:33 am »
Hm, your request sounds like "focus follows mouse" found in many Linux/Unix Window managers.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:44:56 am »
It's done by DragScroll-plugin, that most likely is not installed by default.
If it's there, you have a settings-dialog in "Settings -> Editor -> Moseu Drag Scrolling" where you can set this behaviour.

It's still in 10.05, so if you rerun the installer and make sure DragSrcoll-plugin is installed, it should work again.

Offline UberNewb

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:50 am »
Hm, your request sounds like "focus follows mouse" found in many Linux/Unix Window managers.
Too bad Windows doesn't take the hint though. No you won't convert me to Linux just yet.

It's done by DragScroll-plugin, that most likely is not installed by default.
If it's there, you have a settings-dialog in "Settings -> Editor -> Moseu Drag Scrolling" where you can set this behaviour.

It's still in 10.05, so if you rerun the installer and make sure DragSrcoll-plugin is installed, it should work again.

So I'm not going crazy after all. When I reinstalled 8.02 and found it missing I doubted whether I had really been able to hover scroll and then I found out I couldn't right-click drag scroll the code editor anymore. I followed your instructions to install 10.05 with the Drag Scroll plugin and now it's working again.

Thank you for reconfirming my sanity and showing me how to enable this feature. Awesome, thanks again.

One thing I did notice about 10.05 is that there is excess space in the open file tabs now. Tab space is precious, but I'll learn to live with it.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:52 am »
One thing I did notice about 10.05 is that there is excess space in the open file tabs now. Tab space is precious, but I'll learn to live with it.

We switched to wxAuiNotebook between 8.02 and 10.05.

There is a patch that enhances the auinotebook a lot, but you have to use a self-compiled C::B at the moment (it's not yet in trunk): http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,13826.msg93728.html#msg93728.
The wasted space issue is is partly solved.

Offline UberNewb

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:32:15 am »
Quote from: jens
There is a patch that enhances the auinotebook a lot, but you have to use a self-compiled C::B at the moment (it's not yet in trunk):
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not feeling adventurous enough to compile Code::Blocks myself just yet. I'll keep it in mind though.