Author Topic: Just speechless...  (Read 18254 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Just speechless...
« on: November 17, 2005, 12:17:25 pm »
...with how far wxSmith has come  :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Byo and cyberkoa you have done a great, let me emphasize that, GREAT JOB guys  :D :D :D

I 'll also take this opportunity and suggest to all plugin developers to use wxSmith if possible. It's a shame such piece of work isn't more widely used :lol:

Just speechless...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Just speechless...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 01:35:24 pm »
We're just doing our job boss :D. But we appreciate Your opinion ;)

And there's still lot to do, so I'd better get back to work :)

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 03:13:58 pm »
the Toolbar to the right and the new Quick-Properties panel are great !

many many thanks too for this great tool !!!

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:10:46 pm »
just want to clearify , again  :lol: , 95% or above of the work is done by byo, I am just helping those simple coding because lack of experience in C++ & wxwidgets , all credits should go to him . Still struggling to understand the core engine of wxSmith because the progress is too fast   :shock: , in the starting stage still can catch up but now .. :oops:
especially the event handling of the windowseditor after the resize , undo  feature  added ..

Offline Dmytry

• Single posting newcomer
    • My webpage, Volumetrics for MojoWorld, The Galaxy, etc.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 05:25:20 pm »
Yes, it is AMAZING!!! (just finished tutorial BTW.) Absolutly great. Awesome job.

(btw, does CVS version support more widgets? i'm is especially interested in "property tree" widget (same as what wxSmith uses) and opengl canvas. More events (mouseover and other blabla) would be good too. But of course i can add them manually without problem so it is not really that important)

Offline CmKaHo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:22:35 pm »
I want to attach my thanks too. wxSmith was the only thing I missed in C::B. I previously used devcpp, but 6 month ago I switched to C::B (thanks to all developers). But for widget design I had to use still devcpp and simillar tools - and it was little annoying. Now I am playing with wxSmith - and : IT IS GREAT. It's much better than anything I previously used (really).

I don't know where I have to post bugs. So I do it here. In .h file is one extra "#endif" (right after //(*Headers section). I am using CVS build "Codeblocks CVS20051124.7z".

And I am missing wxListCtrl widget in wxSmith toolbar.

Once again GOOD JOB.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 06:24:55 pm by CmKaHo »

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 02:06:08 am »
Thx for your opinions ;) They seem to be to good :)

Ok, I have to confess that I've focused on stability and features so much that I've forgot that there are some missing widgets  :oops:.
Of course it should be added, but standard ones (which may be found inside wx documentation, like wxGLCanvas and wxListCtrl) will have bigger priority than external ones (like property grid).
But there's nothing against adding it in future :). wxSmith is yet partially prepared for this :).

About additional event handlers (like mouse handling etc) - the problem is that wxWidgets doesn't directly support them. But I think that adding this is not impossible. I was thinking about it already and I have to do some tests before. But unfortunately it won't be available before 1.0 final.

And If You have found any bug, the best way is to send it to bug reporting system, in the C::B main page there are links in menu pointing directly to reporting tools :). Just select wxSmith somewhere in bug category and it will soon be reported to me and there's no way I could miss that ;) same with required features (good example - missing widgets :) ).

I've already found #endif bug, it should be available soon in cvs :)

And thx, cyberkoa, You've reminded me that I should write some doc with technical description of wxSmith ;).
Hmm, and maybe simplify the code :lol:

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 11:40:05 pm »
hope this is a correct spot to drop the question.

I've created dialog, containing a listbox, and 2 buttons below it with wxSmith.

The dialog is resizable. But how do I specify in wxSmith to get those resize lines in the bottom right corner (3 little diagonal lines ), don't know the correct terminology.

Second : Can I specify in wxSmith that the listbox should adjust to the longest entry (althoug I have second thoughts if such an approach is good, since when there's a very long entry the dialog might start to look very ugly ??) ??

Thanks,
Lieven

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:59:57 am »
hope this is a correct spot to drop the question.

I've created dialog, containing a listbox, and 2 buttons below it with wxSmith.

The dialog is resizable. But how do I specify in wxSmith to get those resize lines in the bottom right corner (3 little diagonal lines ), don't know the correct terminology.
I have tested a few option it seems does not work , maybe is not supported by wxwidgets yet  ..  :?  ?

Second : Can I specify in wxSmith that the listbox should adjust to the longest entry (althoug I have second thoughts if such an approach is good, since when there's a very long entry the dialog might start to look very ugly ??) ??

If you mean the listbox is auto resize at the design time , it should be expand style which will expand itself to the longest size .

If you mean resize when you resize the dialog at run time , I am afraid it is not yet supported in wxSmith :( , instead you can read the topic wxLayoutAlgorithm in the wxwidgets help file 

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 12:13:56 am »

Try adding StatusBar:

in constructor, right after wxSmith-generated code add line
Code
new wxStatusBar(this);

It worked for me :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 12:22:56 am »
Well, it always was that way in any (at least windows) application.

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 03:18:17 am »

Try adding StatusBar:

in constructor, right after wxSmith-generated code add line
Code
new wxStatusBar(this);

It worked for me :)

oic , I seldom work on windows programming :oops:

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 09:35:30 am »
Thanks, the 3 lines are there now, but one question qnd 1 problem:

Question :
 - is it my responsibility to delete it in the destructor (I have seens that for example when you create a wxMenu, new created' when you hand it over, you don't touch it anymore, certainly not delete it.So what's the case here ?

Problem:
that status bar remains at it original position , though when I enlarge the dialog, the dialog grows but that status bar is still in the starter position, so ending up in the middle of my enlarged dialog.
Seems my knowledge of wx is still way too low. :-(

kind regards,
Lieven

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 04:43:59 pm »
um, try adding an OnResize (or OnSize whatever) event handler that resizes the status bar whenever the window is resized...

That might work. But then again, i haven't done anything like that in a while.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:33:45 pm »
Problem:
that status bar remains at it original position , though when I enlarge the dialog, the dialog grows but that status bar is still in the starter position, so ending up in the middle of my enlarged dialog.
Seems my knowledge of wx is still way too low. :-(

What wx version do You use ? I've noticed that also sometimes when You resize dialog, items does not reposition and resize, juzt like there was no sizer. So maybe it's wxWidgets bug (did they forget to handle size events or sth ?). I'm using wx 2.6.2 and I don't remember that this happened in ealier version.

And about memory managment - wxWidgets usually automatically handles object destruction and wxStatusBar bar should be deleted automatically

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 05:49:27 pm »
wx 2.6.2

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 06:03:48 pm »
I'll try to compile wx 2.6.1 and see the result :)