Author Topic: SVN-HEAD binaries download  (Read 55229 times)

Revy

Re: CVS binaries download
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 01:35:43 pm »
I guess I will just have to upgrade to W2k/XP and use MS Visual C++ again.
I'm a bit sad atm, because Code::Blocks is meant to be a portable IDE and can't even run on different Win32 platforms.
And the worst is, I'm absolutly sure the usage of W98 is higher than the usage of Linux.

Bye
A sad Revy

Quote from: C::B sources
Code
    // TODO (mandrav#1#): Check windows version and substitute cmd.exe with command.com if needed.
        cmd->command = _T("cmd /c ") + cmd->command;

Revvy, you 're free to go whichever way you want but judging a program while it is still being developed is plain wrong.
You want to use the SVN-HEAD version. That's just fine. But if things don't work for you as expected (yet), you shouldn't complain about it. We 're working hard on this project and trying to make everybody happy. But things need to be coded to work. Code doesn't just write itself. So if I haven't had the time yet to fix this, it doesn't mean I never will.

If you want this to work now, provide a patch.
I don't work for you, nor any of the other developers. We do this on our free time and you have to respect it. If you don't like C::B, you 're free not to use it. But you don't have the right to demand from anyone here to work on your schedule.

You see Revvy, open source doesn't mean "free workers at your disposal". You got things all wrong...

Sorry, but where did I wrote that anyone of the develpers work for me?

If you don't like C::B, you 're free not to use it.
I do like C::B, but I can't use it(at least the cvs builds).
For a person like me who is not so into C::B developement, it looks like C::B is only meant for W2k and above - first the SHFolder problem now this problem.
And there I think is a big problem - on W2k+ everyone can use the fancy MS IDE, which would mean as a consequence that C::B will be mainly used on Linux and of course from some W2k+ <> Linux Crossplatform devs.

As I already wrote in another posting - I think W9x support is a big advantage over VC.

Greetings
Revy

PS
I do like C::B  :D

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2005, 01:58:32 pm »
Sorry, but where did I wrote that anyone of the develpers work for me?

You do not have to write it verbatim. You said:
Quote from: Revvy
I guess I will just have to upgrade to W2k/XP and use MS Visual C++ again.
I'm a bit sad atm, because Code::Blocks is meant to be a portable IDE and can't even run on different Win32 platforms.
And the worst is, I'm absolutly sure the usage of W98 is higher than the usage of Linux.

Bye
A sad Revy

which I read as:
"Why don't you make it work on Win98 so I can work with it? I will go to MSVC then."

If you don't like C::B, you 're free not to use it.
I do like C::B, but I can't use it(at least the cvs builds).
For a person like me who is not so into C::B developement, it looks like C::B is only meant for W2k and above - first the SHFolder problem now this problem.
And there I think is a big problem - on W2k+ everyone can use the fancy MS IDE, which would mean as a consequence that C::B will be mainly used on Linux and of course from some W2k+ <> Linux Crossplatform devs.

Well, either you didn't read my post or chose to "miss" the important parts:

Quote from: mandrav
You want to use the SVN-HEAD version. That's just fine. But if things don't work for you as expected (yet), you shouldn't complain about it. We 're working hard on this project and trying to make everybody happy. But things need to be coded to work. Code doesn't just write itself. So if I haven't had the time yet to fix this, it doesn't mean I never will.

If you want to test the HEAD version, you should always be prepared for incompatibilities and/or broken builds from time to time. As I said above, code doesn't write itself. The code that makes you unhappy, is not written yet. So you have three options:
  • wait for the next HEAD binary that will be made available by Therion/Ceniza (and they do it for your convenience) and it might have been fixed,
  • use a stable release, like RC2, or
  • go to MSVC (as you said)...

I should also inform you that before a new official version is released, I personally test it under XP/SP2 and Windows 98SE. Those are the two platforms I test the setup files...
Did RC2 work for you, or not?

Finally, I have nothing against you. I 'm just trying to make you see things more clear. Instead of starting such a discussion since your last post, I could just tell you "Hey, have you noticed you 're talking about an unofficial build?" and I would stay in the safe side. But I chose to explain...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2005, 02:19:22 pm »
Do you understand now why I said it needs some time to be correctly fixed/implemented?
hmm. yes I understand, the problem is that I can't find the documentation for GetConsoleShell()..
hmm. never mind, it is in the compiler pugin :lol:
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2005, 04:14:56 pm »
:( blahblahblahblahblah

:x blahblahblahblahblah!!

:o blahblahblah!?

:shock: Guys, please keep it clean, the thread's getting too noisy. Anyway...

Revvy, look, I don't think any of us developers has Win98 to test and stuff, we appreciate your effort to make it work on that platform. The reason we can't release a workable version *right now* is that there are still many bugs to tackle. It's just about being patient and having to bear with an open source product *still* in beta. But since the feature is already being implemented, there's nothing to worry about, right? And Yiannis, please try to be a little softer the next time (just a suggestion).

AAAAAAAAAAAnyway... :) where were we?

Revy

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005, 05:12:10 pm »
:( blahblahblahblahblah

:x blahblahblahblahblah!!

:o blahblahblah!?

:shock: Guys, please keep it clean, the thread's getting too noisy. Anyway...

Revvy, look, I don't think any of us developers has Win98 to test and stuff, we appreciate your effort to make it work on that platform. The reason we can't release a workable version *right now* is that there are still many bugs to tackle. It's just about being patient and having to bear with an open source product *still* in beta. But since the feature is already being implemented, there's nothing to worry about, right? And Yiannis, please try to be a little softer the next time (just a suggestion).

AAAAAAAAAAAnyway... :) where were we?

I personally test it under XP/SP2 and Windows 98SE
This is really nice to hear, thank you very much.

"Why don't you make it work on Win98 so I can work with it? I will go to MSVC then."

This would still not mean that you work for me, but I may be a bit to unclear, I mean't that this would be the worst case scenario and it sucks. :)

Anyway, you guys have some good points - patience and unofficial, I will note that and be patient.  :D

Bye
Revy

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2005, 05:19:35 pm »
And Yiannis, please try to be a little softer the next time (just a suggestion).
I don't think he was entirely unjustified in his reply, although it was not Revvy's fault alone - it is a general attitude problem which is slowly evolving. Revvy was just unlucky to be the person getting it today.
Those repeated implied threats (whether people mean them that way or not) are as annoying as the "you owe me some" attitude that some other people express. None of the developers here are getting paid or have any benefits for providing this software, so it is quite silly to try to blackmail them.

I remember well this other person posting something like "code completion in MinGW Developer Studio is so much better than in Code::Blocks, you should think about changing it, or I'll use VS Express 2005".
That's not only plain outraegous (who do those people think they are?), but these comments are also unproductive and stupid. First, if MinGW Studio is really that good, then why switch to VS Express? Second, if they were really thinking about using another IDE which is so much better, then why do they bother.

If people come and tell you "Hey sucker! You do as I want or I'll use a competitor's product", then you are perfectly right to tell them off, especially if you get no retaliation for your work. Personally, I have even been showing customers who would havepaid me the finger when they started like this, and I have never run into a problem with that.

Much depends on how you say something. Revvy, if you had just said "Oh, I noticed that cmd.exe is hardcoded, for Win98 this should be...", then it would probably have been fixed within very short time. If you browse the forums, you will find that most issues that can be fixed easily are addressed within very short time (often only a few hours). And let's not forget that we're talking about an in-development version.
On the other hand, bailing out "Bah, nothing works, I quit! I'll go Microsoft" only provoke a negative reaction from people, and while they're typing their flames, they don't write code  ;)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline me22

• Official tester
  • Multiple posting newcomer
    • TA Universe
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2005, 05:36:42 pm »
and while they're typing their flames, they don't write code  ;)

:)

Well said.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »
Revvy, look, I don't think any of us developers has Win98 to test and stuff, we appreciate your effort to make it work on that platform. The reason we can't release a workable version *right now* is that there are still many bugs to tackle. It's just about being patient and having to bear with an open source product *still* in beta. But since the feature is already being implemented, there's nothing to worry about, right?

Rick, as I already said, I do test releases on win98. That's probably why the SHFolder problem has not been mentioned before. That's also why, I told you and you added in the downloads section the note about win98 and gdb.exe. Because I *do* test it on win98...

And Yiannis, please try to be a little softer the next time (just a suggestion).

I was going to reply to you, but just read Thomas' post (above yours). It's exactly what I would 've said...
Oh, and Rick don't forget: you 're supposed to be the good guy while I 'm the bad guy ;)
Be patient!

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2005, 06:18:44 pm »
Mispunt is referring to using GetConsoleShell() under both platforms. For windows it would be cmd /c arguments while for linux it would be /bin/sh 'arguments' (notice the quotes).
Your solution is to revert to the previous way, which does not allow for builtin shell commands (i.e. for windows, no command shell).

I already admitted it didn't allow for builtin shell commands, but I was making the point that my version didn't add any quotes.

Also, on both unix-like environments I have access to (a fedora system and msys on win2k) single and double quotes seem to do the same thing:
Code
s010625@svstud:~/tmp$ ls -l
total 8
-rw-------  1 s010625 student   0 Dec  6 17:48 testfile
s010625@svstud:~/tmp$ sh -c 'ls -l'
total 8
s010625@svstud:~/tmp$ sh -c "ls -l"
total 8
s010625@svstud:~/tmp$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.12-1.1372_FC3smp (bhcompile@tweety.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.4.3 20050227 (Red Hat 3.4.3-22)) #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 01:30:03 EDT 2005
s010625@svstud:~$ sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.00.14(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ ls -l
total 2
-rw-r--r--    1 Frits    Administ       73 Dec  6 17:49 testfile
Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ cat testfile
total 0
-rw-r--r--    1 Frits    Administ        0 Dec  6 17:49 testfile
Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ ls -l
total 2
Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ sh -c 'ls -l'
total 2
Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ sh -c "ls -l"
total 2
Frits@S010625:/d/tmp$ sh --version
GNU bash, version 2.04.0(1)-release (i686-pc-msys)
Copyright 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
As double quotes work on Windows as well, maybe those should be used? Or is there a difference on any/all *nix systems? Is this a bash-only thing?

Oh, and you might want to escape special characters on the command lines if you use a shell. Commands can contain quotes and other special characters which might not work otherwise...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2005, 03:52:10 pm »
Anyway, we removed cmd.exe completely (i.e. reverted the way it was before). It seems it caused other problems too.
So, Revvy, when Therion creates another snapshot your problem will be gone :).
Be patient!

Revy

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2005, 05:55:54 pm »
Anyway, we removed cmd.exe completely (i.e. reverted the way it was before). It seems it caused other problems too.
So, Revvy, when Therion creates another snapshot your problem will be gone :).

Nice to hear - but hey, I'm not the only one with W98. ;-)
I hope this won't make  problems with the quotes thingy though.

=====
Edit:
It works wonderful! I'm am so happy that I can see the progress of C::B live again, I could jump all day around the house - 1000 thx!  :D

Bye
Revy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:00:40 pm by Revy »

therion

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2005, 06:10:08 pm »
I have just uploaded the pack.
Win98 users, please, test it and tell us if its ok now :-)

[edit]
heheheh looks like its ok
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 06:11:39 pm by therion »

therion

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2005, 06:27:06 pm »
New revision (1479) available :-)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2005, 07:50:15 pm »
Hello,

May be we can change the name of this "topic" from "CVS binaries download" into "SVN binaries download" as now that C::B has migrated to SVN :).

Michael

therion

Re: SVN-HEAD binaries download
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2005, 04:21:48 pm »
New revision (1512) uploaded.