Author Topic: Can't run debugger  (Read 52806 times)

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
Can't run debugger
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »
Hi,
After a successful build with debugging enabled, I can't run the 'gdb' debugger. Clicking 'start' or hitting f8 does nothing. Only the debugger tab below is selected and nothing else. I've tried this both on an XP and a Vista machine with same result. 'do not run the debugee' in the debugger options is not checked and the path to AVR 'gdb' in 'toolchain executables' is correct. Also I cannot add any watch variable, when I add a variable the watch window is always empty. I don't have wxwidgets installed, do I need to install? I'm using codeblocks v10.05. Has anybody else experienced this? Need help, thnx...

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Can't run debugger
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »
Enable the debuggers debug log (Settings -> compiler & debugger -> debugger -> show debugger's log)
Inspect the log and if you don't find anything useful you can paste the log in a [ code ] tags, so we can look at it.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 12:08:03 am »
Debugger log is always enabled but the information below doesn't always appear on the 'debugger' tab. After hitting f8 to start the debugger the 'Start' or 'F8' is still available without anything launched. Thnx for the reply, here is the log:

Code
Selecting target: 
Debug
Adding source dir: D:\Electronics\Projects\testcb\source\
Adding source dir: D:\Electronics\Projects\testcb\source\

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:17 am »
You're not reading!!!!
I've said the debug log not the normal one...
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:13 am »
I'm very sorry! Where do I find it? That's the only information on the tabs below regarding the debugger. Does it reside on some file? Pls forgive my ignorance!

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:20:12 am »
I'm very sorry! Where do I find it? That's the only information on the tabs below regarding the debugger. Does it reside on some file? Pls forgive my ignorance!

Enable the debuggers debug log (Settings -> compiler & debugger -> debugger -> show debugger's log)
Inspect the log and if you don't find anything useful you can paste the log in a [ code ] tags, so we can look at it.

Highlighting by me.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:29:50 am »
I've enabled the log already but I wasn't sure which tab was the log he mentioned. I disabled it and realized the 1 with the title 'Debugger (debug)' disappeared. I guess that's the 1 in question but it's always empty, when I try to 'start' debug or push 'f8' there isn't anything listed. So pasted the normal 'Debugger' tab contents, I apologize for that. Something maybe wrong with what's being executed when the 'Start' debugger is selected?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »
Have you tried to scroll up and down the empty log.
My windows version of C::B is experiencing this problem, the text is there but the window is not refreshed.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »
Yes I had checked that before and now again it's definitely empty. Is it possible I messed up the command to be executed?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 03:34:35 pm »
Do you have gdb installed?
Can you provide simple test project that reproduces the problem?

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »
The compiler setting I use is 'GNU AVR GCC Compiler' and the compiler itself is 'WinAVR'. It's installed under 'C:\GNU\WinAVR'. The executables are in the 'C:\GNU\WinAVR\bin' directory. The 'gdb' used is 'avr-gdb' with correct path in the 'toolchain executables' under the 'compiler and debugger' settings. 'Compilers installation directory' is also correct. I attached the test project I use with the whole folder included. It's located under 'D:\Electronics\Projects\' on my computer. Will it help if I export my configuration and post it here also? Thnx very much for the help...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
You've missed the simple part :)
Can you debug simple hello world console application, using mingw?

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 05:20:32 pm »
I didn't know they are related, do I have to have mingw installed for debugging an embedded AVR project? I also tried to debug the basic 'helloworld' with mingw same result with no trace of anything in the 'Debugger (debug)' tab although it compiles and runs perfectly. I have checked the executables paths as always and they are correct as always. What may be the problem?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 05:39:18 pm »
They are not related, but I don't have an embedded compiler nor do I want to install one.
The case with simple console application is the most tested one and if it doesn't work you've a problem with your setup.

Can you try the debugger's branch nightly?
Also have you tried to select (click + drag) in the white window of the debugger's debug log? As I've stated there is some problem with this window on windows and it is not refreshed, but the text is there.

Offline scarphin

• Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:21 pm »
I used "CB_20100904_rev6570_DEBUGGER_BRANCH_win32" to test everything again. At first it complained about the 'libexpat.dll' which v10.05 never did. After I installed expat with mingw-get, I am now able to debug mingw console applications in both the rev6570 and v10.05. But regarding the 'AVR GCC Compiler' the same problem continues exactly the same in both rev6570 and v10.05. The 'Debugger (debug)' tab is definitely empty and nothing gets executed.