Author Topic: Ubuntu reports relocation error  (Read 20657 times)

Offline pir

• Multiple posting newcomer
Ubuntu reports relocation error
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:33:12 am »
Somehow I have managed to mess-up my previously working version of CodeBlocks (from pasgui's repository). I have tried reinstalling several times but I keep getting the message:

codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _Z18wxSafeConvertWX2MBPKw, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 with link time reference

What on earth have done? And how do I fix this?

(Using Ubuntu Lucid)

Offline kencamargo

Re: Ubuntu reports relocation error
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:23:36 am »
Somehow I have managed to mess-up my previously working version of CodeBlocks (from pasgui's repository). I have tried reinstalling several times but I keep getting the message:

codeblocks: relocation error: /usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so.0: symbol _Z18wxSafeConvertWX2MBPKw, version WXU_2.8 not defined in file libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 with link time reference

(Using Ubuntu Lucid)

I mentioned something like this on a message called "News on installing under Ubuntu". Since you are using pasgui's version, it probably means you are using Lucid's buit-in wx libs. An update yesterday to the wx libs made them incompatible with pasgui's version, but now they are compatible with the last nightly from jen's repo.

Ken

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:51:55 am »
This means you can also use the binaries from our download-side, if you have 10.05 release and do not want to upgrade to a nightly.

Offline pir

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 11:58:50 am »

(Using Ubuntu Lucid)

I mentioned something like this on a message called "News on installing under Ubuntu". Since you are using pasgui's version, it probably means you are using Lucid's buit-in wx libs. An update yesterday to the wx libs made them incompatible with pasgui's version, but now they are compatible with the last nightly from jen's repo.

Ken

Ah! Thinking about it, I have had this sort of problem with wxWidgets versions on Windows. I didn't notice the wxWidgets upgrade go by. Seems like a compelling case for static linking. Not good that a third party (Ubuntu) can mess things up in this way.

Sorry, but some ambiguity here:

I don't want the nightly. (I was picking up the stuff from pasgui for historical reasons, since pre-version 10.05.)

i) Is the version from the CodeBlocks site stable - it is still tagged with caveats about being an unstable SVN version? (Also, an INSTALL would be appreciated for those of us who don't get beyond the Synaptic package manager :D  Installing from deb files seems rather cumbersome - you have to do each one manually in reverse order of dependencies?)

ii) What exactly do I need to download from apt.wxwidgets.org? Just the lucid/libwxgtk lib? Or other stuff? Not clear on the dependencies. (Compelling case for static linking...)

Thinks: A no-brainer, just-works-out-of-the box install would be nice...

TIA

Peter

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:01 pm »
If I understand correctly what Ken has posted, you do not need the libs from apt.wxwidgets.org any longer.
The binaries on our site are built from the same sources as pasgui's.

The nightlies are normally not less stable, but may have some new features and/or bugs fixed.

You can install all packages with one command: dpkg -i <package1.deb> package2.deb> ... , order does not matter in this case.

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:05:46 pm »
If I understand correctly what Ken has posted, you do not need the libs from apt.wxwidgets.org any longer.

You did understand correctly. :)

I just don't know if the new components available under wxSmith are in the new version of the wx libs as well, hadn't time to test this.

Ken

Offline pir

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:50:40 pm »
The nightlies are normally not less stable, but may have some new features and/or bugs fixed.

Some misunderstanding. I was not talking about nightlies, I mean the deb packages from http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26. (the main CodeBlocks site). Some of these contain the message "Code::Blocks is the open-source, cross-platform Integrated Development Environment (IDE). This package contains the architecture-independent files of codeblocks. It's a svn-download and may contain bugs." Is this an oversight or is it to be taken literally?

Sorry but still not completely unambiguous.  If I download the deb from http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26, will the current Ubuntu version of wxWidgets work? Is that right?

... you do not need the libs from apt.wxwidgets.org any longer.

If this is so, can the message at the bottom of http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26 be updated so as not to confuse others.

Peter

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »
Is this an oversight or is it to be taken literally?

It should not be there, it's the official release-version.

If this is so, can the message at the bottom of http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26 be updated so as not to confuse others.

Yes, I will remove it, after I tested it myself.

Offline pir

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 12:10:58 pm »
For reasons that are too lengthy to explain here, I have had to abandon Lucid and revert to Karmic. What versions of the wx libs do I need to get the official release working on Karmic? (The 2.8.10.1-ubuntu1 versions packaged with karmic do not work and give the same relocation error I originally posted! Do I need to go back to the apt.wxwidgets.org libs?

(This problem with a continually shifting set of lib requirements is a real pain! Is there really no way round having your codeblocks installation break every 6 months and having to hunt for the new libs?)

Peter

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:00 pm »
(This problem with a continually shifting set of lib requirements is a real pain! Is there really no way round having your codeblocks installation break every 6 months and having to hunt for the new libs?)

Ask the ubuntu-maintainers who provide these packages.

Maybe they can backport the lucid packages to karmic.

Offline pir

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »

Ask the ubuntu-maintainers who provide these packages.

Maybe they can backport the lucid packages to karmic.

You miss the point! My original post was caused by Canonical (a third party) updating the wx libs and thereby breaking my installation. There have been other cases of problems with shifting incompatibilities over the years. This is a confusing state of affairs.

As it happens, I have answered my own question: Version 2.8.11.0-1 from apt.wxwidgets.org does the job.

Would (some of) this confusion be removed by adding an INSTALL into the tarball of debs stating exactly which version of the wx libs the package has been built with? There does not seem to be any easy way of extracting this information from the debs themselves - they just report a dependency against wx version 2.8.0.) A similar statement in the Windows versions would also be welcome.

Offline danh

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:14 pm »
Wow, you really want non-experts to stop using Codeblocks, don't you?  As I've said in my few previous posts on these forums, we are entering an era where laypeople are going to be using Linux thanks to the accessibility that Ubuntu provides.  I appreciate all the efforts that are made to create and distribute this free software, but you will reap lessened rewards for your hard work if you don't take advantage of this accessibility.

That said, it is unclear what I need to do in order to get Code::Blocks to work in Ubuntu again.  Like the op, I had added pasgui's repository to my package manager and installed 'codeblocks' and all dependencies from there.  Is anyone able to provide instructions for resolving this issue within the Package Manager?

Thank you.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »
Is anyone able to provide instructions for resolving this issue within the Package Manager?
What you experience it exactly the reason for me NOT to use Linux as my main platform. So - from my point of view it's probably really an option for you to stick with a more common OS like Windows. I am pretty sure you'll get C::B up and running in seconds on that OS.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »
That said, it is unclear what I need to do in order to get Code::Blocks to work in Ubuntu again.  Like the op, I had added pasgui's repository to my package manager and installed 'codeblocks' and all dependencies from there.  Is anyone able to provide instructions for resolving this issue within the Package Manager?

If you uhave used pasgui's repo and ubuntu's wxwidgets, you can switch to my repo instead of pasguis (nightly builds) or use our downloads for release 10.05, but at the moment you have to install the files manually.

We can not provide repositories for each and any existing debian distro.

I might setup a repo with C::B 10.05 release the next days. If I do so, I will post the link here.

Offline danh

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »
Jens, thank you so much for your help.  You have been consistently and consummately empathetic, and you've always provided solutions to my problems in a timely and non-judgmental way.

I feel compelled to respond to MortenMacFly, though, because of his wholly inappropriate response.

Is the condescension really necessary, Morten?  I need to use Linux because it is the primary operating system used in the research that I do.  Therefore, my time is better spent working on science (since that is what I am trained to do) than working on getting my OS to play nicely with its tools (which I am not trained to do).

Since you seem so loathe to have me as a consumer of your product, I will happily get out of your hair if you can suggest to me another IDE that has virtual project management (all the other IDE's I've tried do not have this feature, which is the #1 priority for me).

Alternatively, you can help me resolve my problem, like Jens does, (thus creating a happy consumer who will suggest Code::Blocks to all his colleagues rather than an unhappy consumer who will tell everyone to avoid Code::Blocks at all costs) instead of complaining about people like me spoiling Linux for you.