Author Topic: two bundles for codeblocks release  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Master

• Multiple posting newcomer
two bundles for codeblocks release
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:54:40 pm »
hello all .
I have an idea for making CodeBlocks even more easy to use , ( i mean making it literally useable out of the box specially for noob programmers)
i've seen that Qt and some other big editors which utilize some special kind of framework offer more than one options in regards of downloading. one the bare editor , and the other options is the whole SDK (which contains the prebuild libraries plus the editor) , and its great help , when your download finishes , you are ready to go, there is no hasle in going about compiling source codes related to the framework and etc, everything is setup already and is ready to use. visual studio and Qt  are kinda this way.
why cant we do this with CodeBlocks and wxWidgets Framework?
there could be two bundles , ( or even more), one that only offers codeblocks ( as it is now) and the other one offers codeblocks plus all it needs to work flawlessly ( prebuild wxwidgets binaries and needed configs) .?
wxDev is already doing this and made it really simple to work with it , and i thought codeblocks really deserved sth like this .
there are some advantages too :
the number of questions and threads in forum concerning the malfunctioning /not working the wxwidgets app in CB will decrease , because programmers wouldn't need to compile anything related to wxwidgets so the probability of messing sth related to that is zero .,
making the sdk also helps more people to be able to work on codeblocks too , because everything is already set up, and there is no need to go through special stages for developing CB and whenever one wishes, can go and help the development of codeblocks since all he needs is already there .
and more ...

i would be honored if you share your comments on this idea with me.
Thank you all in advance

a man's dream is an index to his greatness...

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: two bundles for codeblocks release
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:58:22 pm »
When you download our release version, which parts do you think are still missing ? The CB part contains all it needs, and we also have one, bundled with MingW, so you even have compiler + debugger.

Offline Master

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:57 pm »
When you download our release version, which parts do you think are still missing ? The CB part contains all it needs, and we also have one, bundled with MingW, so you even have compiler + debugger.
thank you for your reply .
that's good , but i think that's not enough .
because you cant even have a simple hello world in wxWidgets ( using wxSmith ) , it requires the prebuild wxWidgets framework and thats a part of CodeBlocks .
those two bundles are already great and needed ,but by issuing this thread , i more intended on talking about wxWidgets Framework, cause i think thats one of the  crucial Task CodeBlocks has ( in terms of providing Rad tools for easier development using wxwidgets ).
or even other part of codeblocks ( for different projects), if there were some 'Package managing' facilities in CB ,so that , the prebuild packages would be set up and ready for download, and user's could choose to install the needed packages and the package manager would take care of everything , this would also be great ( just like netbeans IDE ) but i think this would take some more work to develop such system.

but as  i mentioned before , the prebuild wxWidgets bundle would be of great help .( let the bundle be 1 gigbyte , the good thing about this bundle is that  , when you install it you know that verything needed is just there, just everything is there and you can just use the whole package without any hassle.

Offline huzhongshan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:16:58 am »
yeah , I think  cb+mingw+wxwidgest sdk package is necessary.

Offline dasfoo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 02:01:32 am »

Not that I'm contributing, but I'm all for this sort of thing.  Maybe it's my own projection but I feel that if you can't install and go, you lose 75% of your potential users right there. 

I use WinAvr for work.  Nice thing is you download it, install, and it just works.  Visual Studio, you download it, install it, and it works.  Eclipse, you download it, and then it barfs all over the place until you get everything setup correctly.  Then you try and install it on other peoples machines and same thing.  Which is why I'm here.

I'm currently using Code Blocks as an editor under Ubuntu (via virtualbox) to do embedded ARM9 development.  Works okay, I've poked at trying to get debugging to work, and haven't been able to sort that in the time allotted.

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »

I beg to differ. Getting the wx lib source and building it is much easier than actually creating programs with it; if you know how to do the latter, the former shouldn't be a problem. And the libs are easily obtainable under many GNU Linux distributions, anyway; even if you are a windoze user and lazy, there are the pre-built libs at wxpack (http://wxpack.sourceforge.net).

I don't see why the people that already have a huge amount of work in their hands would still have to duplicate other people's work.

Offline Master

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
yeah , I think  cb+mingw+wxwidgest sdk package is necessary.

I beg to differ. Getting the wx lib source and building it is much easier than actually creating programs with it; if you know how to do the latter, the former shouldn't be a problem. And the libs are easily obtainable under many GNU Linux distributions, anyway; even if you are a windoze user and lazy, there are the pre-built libs at wxpack (http://wxpack.sourceforge.net).

I don't see why the people that already have a huge amount of work in their hands would still have to duplicate other people's work.
the idea is not just to compile some libs , the idea intends on making codeblocks more hassle free just like Visual studio and the likes which they have setup everything for the end user ,so by choosing anykind of project you are good to go , if you chose buidling a wxWidgets there is no problem for you and you instantly can start building your application , it goes to other projects too .
 and i really cant understand why you are saying that working with wxWdigets is way harder than compiling the source code !!oO, with the help of the great WxSmith , making any wxWidgets is piece of a cake .  
if compiling the source code is no big deal , then a bundle with prebuild libs is no big deal either .
dont get me wrong , i am not sayin that anyone has to do this , but making this bundle would be great help for codeblocks users why are you so harsh on a suggestion like this ?.
there are already such packs , as you mentioned , Wxpack is one , WxDev is the other one, which made it literally simple to work with and develop any C/C++ or specially wxwdigets application .
i am a codeblock user , and its my favorite IDE , and i want it to be awesome in all majors , if compiling wxWidgets libs were my problem , i would definitely go with wxDev or use that wxPack, i dont and lots of other users dont either , cause they love CodeBlocks and the feature it provided for us .
i dont see any problem in suggesting so that we can have a better IDE .

again i would be grateful to know the admins idea and their viewpoint on this subject .
Thank you all for your precious comments.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:49:11 pm by Master »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:14:20 pm »
because you cant even have a simple hello world in wxWidgets ( using wxSmith ) , it requires the prebuild wxWidgets framework and thats a part of CodeBlocks .
Not really. Look: wxSmith is a 3rd party plugin and works just fine with wxPack on Windows. So if you need wxWidgets and won't compile yourself, you got wxPack for example. If you look on Unix/Linux it's not that easy anyways as it very often would conflict with wxWidgets already available for these platforms. To sum up: On Linux/Unix you got your package manager on Windows you got wxPack.

My personal opinion is that sooner or later you will compile wxWidgets yourself anyway, as the release cycles are usually shorter than the ones of C::B.

So: I'd rather keep it as it is to save us bandwidth and to be consistent across all platforms. However, I see no issue if 3rd parties provide pre-compiled wxWidgets suitable for C::B for several platforms. Providing a link to a download location (probably another project/account at BerliOS) would be most welcome and published on our site.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Master

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 09:51:37 pm »
Not really. Look: wxSmith is a 3rd party plugin and works just fine with wxPack on Windows. So if you need wxWidgets and won't compile yourself, you got wxPack for example. If you look on Unix/Linux it's not that easy anyways as it very often would conflict with wxWidgets already available for these platforms. To sum up: On Linux/Unix you got your package manager on Windows you got wxPack.

My personal opinion is that sooner or later you will compile wxWidgets yourself anyway, as the release cycles are usually shorter than the ones of C::B.

So: I'd rather keep it as it is to save us bandwidth and to be consistent across all platforms. However, I see no issue if 3rd parties provide pre-compiled wxWidgets suitable for C::B for several platforms. Providing a link to a download location (probably another project/account at BerliOS) would be most welcome and published on our site.
Thank you verymuch .
but i think i should clarify sth here, i do compile wxWidgets myself !, its been two years since i first registered here and used CodeBlocks and then wxWidgets , so i dont have any problem on compiling side .
let me convey my idea this way , do we have a package manager in codeblocks ? sth like the one in wxDev ? cant we utilize sth like that to facilitate Update of any part of codeblocks ? be it a new feature , plugin or even in future pre compiled libs by either CB's team or 3d parties ?
would you give me your idea on this Package manager idea ?
again thank you for clarifying everything . 

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
Probably the only usefull sdk CB's devs should provide is the CB's own sdk + wx includes/libs required to build a plugin on Windows.
How large would that be?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline xunxun

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:31:31 am »
One that installs the Qt must use the Qt, but who installs the CB may not use the wxWidgets.
Regards,
xunxun

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:23:53 am »
would you give me your idea on this Package manager idea ?
We do have a package manager through the devpak plugin. If wxWidgets is available to DevPak (which it is to my knowledge) you can use it... just as all the other libraries available through that platform.

Again: the "drawback" is that this only applies to the MinGW compiler suite usually. As C::B supports a wide range of compilers we cannot support such an option for each and every other compiler.

How large would that be?
I think killerbot can answer that...?!
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ