Author Topic: ? how/where to download and install codeblocks plugins  (Read 19418 times)

Offline bootstrap

• Multiple posting newcomer
? how/where to download and install codeblocks plugins
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:32:37 pm »
Recently I created a new linux system by installing 64-bit ubuntu linux 10.04 and codeblocks 10.05 but cannot create a new project.  After some futzing around it appears the problem may be a total lack of codeblock plugins on my system.  At least that's my inference based upon the following observations.

When I select <Plugins -> Manage Plugins...> in the main codeblocks menu, a "Manage plugins" dialog window is displayed, with a big empty space where the "installed plugins" should be enumerated.  When I search my entire filesystem for <*.cbplugin>, nothing is reported.  I'm not 100% certain any specific plugins are required to create a new project, but I'm guessing one is.

How and where do I download and install the nominal set of codeblocks plugins appropriate for developing C applications?  And why did the normal installation process NOT install absolutely necessary plugins like those required to "create new project" (assuming a plugin is needed for that)?

I have a contract to develop some software for NASA and my current problems with codeblocks has put me quite a bit behind schedule.  I wrote some large applications in codeblocks on linux about 1~2 years ago on older ubuntu and older codeblocks, and had no such problems.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

PS:  This is release 10.05 rev 6282 (build date 2010/05/27 @ 11:01:42 - wx2.8.10 (Linux, unicode) - 64 bit.

PS:  I also attach an image of what is displayed (from the main ubuntu menu bar) under <Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center> when I enter "codeblocks" as the search term.  This indicates what codeblocks related packages the system considers installed.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:53:08 pm by bootstrap »

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: ? how/where to download and install codeblocks plugins
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:51 pm »
As mentioned in the other thread, the scripted-wizard plugin is part of C::B core and it can not be installed seperately (at least not on linux).

I suggest removing C::B an reinstalling it.

You can use pasgui's build from the lgp-repo (http://lgp203.free.fr/ubuntu/) with the wxwidgets provided by ubuntu, or my repo with the nightly builds (or our binary download of C::B 10.05) and the wxwidgets packages provided by apt.wxwidgets.org for your ubuntu distro.

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:38 pm »
As mentioned in the other thread, the scripted-wizard plugin is part of C::B core and it can not be installed seperately (at least not on linux).

I suggest removing C::B an reinstalling it.

You can use pasgui's build from the lgp-repo (http://lgp203.free.fr/ubuntu/) with the wxwidgets provided by ubuntu, or my repo with the nightly builds (or our binary download of C::B 10.05) and the wxwidgets packages provided by apt.wxwidgets.org for your ubuntu distro.
Okay, at the risk of being overly simplistic, how do I remove codeblocks (and any other packages I should also remove and then reinstall - please enumerate these)?

Unfortunately I can't recall where I found the instructions to install codeblocks 10.05 previously.  But I notice on the following webpage (http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26), no real install instructions are given, only a link to where the 64-bit debian packages can be downloaded (which I downloaded and extracted into a special directory I created for the purpose).  I extracted the contents, but then I don't remember where I found (and performed) the several steps necessary to install codeblocks and wxwidgets (though I seem to recall it involved adding lines to /etc/apt/sources.list).

Unfortunately, this always happens to me (forgetting so much about "the linux way") when I go do software development on windoze for a year or so.  Hopefully I never need return to windoze again (got my fingers crossed)... but also I've never been exactly sure what unpleasant issues might exist when installing packages via the ubuntu menu system AND other means (like apt/apt-get/etc).

It would be nice if there was some webpage somewhere that gave complete instructions for fundamental operations like install and remove codeblocks, including any other required packages and such.  Unfortunately, I haven't found one.

PS:  Damn!  I tried to remove codeblocks with the "ubuntu software center" application... and it said the packages were broken.  The following is the message displayed in the error dialog:

Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f

Later:  Okay, I did "sudo apt-get install -f"... and it seemed to remove 7 or 8 codeblocks packages and a couple wx packages.

But I decided not to let ubuntu software center install codeblocks, because it lists the version as 8.02-0ubuntu4... which must be very old.

Later:  I installed codeblocks again with "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" while in the directory that holds all the extracted .deb files.  The problem still exists (cannot create new project).  Now what?

Finally, I reinstalled 64-bit ubuntu 10.04 to start from a clean slate.  NOW ---where are complete and reliable instructions to install codeblocks 10.05 (and any required extras)?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:20:28 am by bootstrap »

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:39 am »
Okay, I reinstalled ubuntu 64-bit 10.04 and codeblocks 10.05 and now it seems to work.  I think I know what happened, which I'll mention here for anyone who has the same problem and finds this thread.

What I think happened is, when I created a link/shortcut on the desktop, it created a copy of the codeblocks executable instead of a link/shortcut.  Since it was then being started in the /home/username/Desktop directory, I guess it wasn't finding files where it expected.  At least that's my guess, because I don't think I installed anything differently.  What I noticed is, the icon on the desktop is now codeblocks specific, while previously it was some generic looking diamond-shaped icon... I'm guessing a generic "executable" icon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:25:27 am by bootstrap »