Author Topic: [wxSmith] How do I install it?  (Read 16117 times)

Offline lesnewell

• Multiple posting newcomer
[wxSmith] How do I install it?
« on: November 06, 2005, 06:39:14 pm »
I am probably missing something obvious here but how do I install the wxSmith in Linux? I opened the project and it compiled fine. The update script failed the first time due to permissions but appeared to run OK after I ran C::B as root. What do I do now?

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
Re: [wxSmith] How do I install it?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 04:19:29 am »
I never try in Linux before but it should be the same . Under menu "Plugins" > Manage Plugins , check the wxSmith v1.0 . You need to restart Code Blocks .

After restart , you can see an extra Menu Item named "wxSmith"  , and you can follow the tutorial in the wiki written by byo to play with wxSmith :)
 The tutorial is at http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/WxSmith_Tutorial_%26_Pointers

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 01:30:24 pm »
I am probably missing something obvious here but how do I install the wxSmith in Linux? I opened the project and it compiled fine. The update script failed the first time due to permissions but appeared to run OK after I ran C::B as root. What do I do now?

If You have compiled wxSmith, all You need is to copy the result to proper directories:
Code
cp -R CB_SRC_DIR/src/devel/share/CodeBlocks/* /usr/local/share/codedblocks

But unfortunately It fails to load  :oops:. I don't know why, perhaps some undefined references or something like that (I don't know exactly since C::B doesn't show error messages when loading plugins, there's only notification that it failed).

So maybe You'll have to wait some time for Linux-compatible wxSmith :(

Offline Urxae

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 03:08:12 pm »
If You have compiled wxSmith, all You need is to copy the result to proper directories:
Code
cp -R CB_SRC_DIR/src/devel/share/CodeBlocks/* /usr/local/share/codedblocks

But unfortunately It fails to load  :oops:. I don't know why, perhaps some undefined references or something like that (I don't know exactly since C::B doesn't show error messages when loading plugins, there's only notification that it failed).

So maybe You'll have to wait some time for Linux-compatible wxSmith :(

If that cp command-line is a copy-paste of what you typed, it might be the fact that you have a typo in there (extra 'd'). Also, I don't use the Linux version, but are you sure it's not /CodeBlocks at the end? (Linux filenames are case-sensitive)

Offline lesnewell

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:06:16 pm »
I will experiment further. wxSmith works great on my Windows box. Thanks.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 06:09:47 pm »
If that cp command-line is a copy-paste of what you typed, it might be the fact that you have a typo in there (extra 'd'). Also, I don't use the Linux version, but are you sure it's not /CodeBlocks at the end? (Linux filenames are case-sensitive)

Yop, should be CodeBlocks :oops: (I don't know what's going on - I've switched to other keyboard and I sometimes have such additional letters, and keyboard is working properly, so there must be a bug in my head but it's hard to trace ;) ).
But I've copied and checked - files were where in right place. The same happen inside profiler plugin. Is there any way to get error message ? Any ideas ?

Offline kisoft

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 07:20:19 am »
But I've copied and checked - files were where in right place. The same happen inside profiler plugin. Is there any way to get error message ? Any ideas ?

On my SuSE 10 I see this bug. Plugin can't loaded.
Need open comments (output into a debug window) in pluginmanager.cpp & compile C::B.
Run C::B & see the Debug Log window.
I can't time now, but try test it later (2-3 days).
I use this method early, then try start the svn plugin on my Win.
wxWidgets: 2.8.12
CodeBlocks: Master github cbMakefileGen plugin:
https://github.com/kisoft/cbmakefilegen

Offline kisoft

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 07:13:31 am »

I try investigate it yesterday. I have low experience, then I can't understand.

Results of my investigate see below:

In sdk/pluginmanager.cpp:

in cbPlugin* PluginManager::LoadPlugin(const wxString& pluginName)

I comment line:

//    wxLogNull zero; // no need for error messages; we check everything ourselves...

And I see next message box on start C::B:

Code
22:39:03: /usr/local/share/codeblocks/plugins/libwxsmith.so: undefined symbol: _ZTV7wxSmith
22:39:03: /usr/local/share/codeblocks/plugins/libprofiler.so: undefined symbol: _ZTV10CBProfiler

As I see, cbprofiler has a similar problem, too.  :o

I look libwxsmith.o, and look an empty list, wow!

Unstrupped version libwxsmith.so content list, but _ZTV7wxSmith haven't address.

I don't understand this. Anybody can help?

Makefile.unix for wxSmith is very very different from (for example) the codestat plugin.

I used SuSE 10.
wxWidgets: 2.8.12
CodeBlocks: Master github cbMakefileGen plugin:
https://github.com/kisoft/cbmakefilegen

skprog

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:02 am »
bump as i too am having an issue installing wxsmith. i have done a compile make install of codeblocks and the program works

but for some reason im missing all the plug ins except built in plug ins.

im missing all the contrib plug ins.

i even rebuilt recompiled codeblocks with make uninstall and other commands to clean it. still to no success

im afraid i have failed.

would appreciate some input on the matter. k thanks

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:49 am »
Code
./configure <adlasdf> --with-contrib-plugins=all
Pass this option and rebuild.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:30 am »
In general it's a good ide to run ./configure --help .

That's valid for all autotools based projects, not just C::B !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:44:26 am by jens »