Author Topic: wxSmith - tutorial  (Read 71541 times)

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
wxSmith - tutorial
« on: November 05, 2005, 12:18:33 am »
Hi everyone. I've created small tutorial explaining basics of wxSmith. It can be found here:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/WxSmith_Tutorial_%26_Pointers

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: wxSmith - tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 01:22:27 pm »
Nice :)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 09:50:07 pm »
Cool!  :D

You know... I have just started to use wxSmith and I was just about asking for a tutorial. As if you had known my thoughts... Thanks!

Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Muffin

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 09:15:00 pm »
I am really impressed. RAD as easy that even a Delphi user like me can use it. :) Good work, keep it up!

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 09:57:52 pm »
Try to do my best :) and I'm glad You like it :)

The Falcon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:34:45 am »
To BYO,

you're a legend. I downloaded the latest CVS of Code::Blocks (after playing around with R1C2 for a while) and the whole team deserves mountains of credit for their efforts. However I am absolutely smitten with wxSmith. I love the new interface and the relocation (and nice icons for placement ops) to the bottom of the editor window. Sensational. I've really looked around at the other open source offerings in the IDE genre and Code::Blocks totally rocks the opposition. Keep up the great work. I can see from recent posts that you have really attempted to implement suggested enhancements in a logical and user friendly way. So in this spirit I'll make a small suggestion, though I am positive you will have it already on your TODO list. The ability to define further controls (and eventually custom controls) would be really nice. I guess this would be best after you've got things to a really stable state and you are happy with wxSmith in it's current form. Keep rockin, and when I've played with it more extensively I'll get back with further feedback.

The Falcon.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 11:08:40 am »
Hello,

Thank you very much for the tutorial. Very useful. I have already played a bit with wxSmith, but without too much success.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 02:28:52 pm »
To BYO,

you're a legend. I downloaded the latest CVS of Code::Blocks (after playing around with R1C2 for a while) and the whole team deserves mountains of credit for their efforts. However I am absolutely smitten with wxSmith. I love the new interface and the relocation (and nice icons for placement ops) to the bottom of the editor window. Sensational. I've really looked around at the other open source offerings in the IDE genre and Code::Blocks totally rocks the opposition. Keep up the great work. I can see from recent posts that you have really attempted to implement suggested enhancements in a logical and user friendly way. So in this spirit I'll make a small suggestion, though I am positive you will have it already on your TODO list. The ability to define further controls (and eventually custom controls) would be really nice. I guess this would be best after you've got things to a really stable state and you are happy with wxSmith in it's current form. Keep rockin, and when I've played with it more extensively I'll get back with further feedback.

The Falcon.

:o wow, I'd never think that anyone would like my plugin so much  :D.
And totally pluggable architecture is on the way (and custom controlls also) - it's just a matter of time :). But now we have to focus on 1.0 release so many features had to be delayed.

Waiting For Your suggestions and bug reports :)

takeshimiya

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 03:48:04 pm »
It is very good indead! Of course, it haves a long road to become more stable, but it's good!

My suggestion would be to try to implement most of the DialogBlocks functionality.

And to fix the redraw bug in which all the screen becomes black :P

Offline squizzz

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 01:56:09 am »
I've just seen quite latest wxSmith (thanks to binaries provided by therion), and I just cannot left what I've seen uncommented... 

please note that I might have not much to say, because seriously I'm pretty speechless ATM... man, IT TOTALLY ROCKS! :) there should be warnings* and stuff! :lol:

* applies to CB as well :)

Quote from: byo
Waiting For Your suggestions and bug reports
a suggestion: maybe it would be a good idea to consider, to make wxSmith also available via separate package on C::B SF's project page, with its own, independent release cycle? The amount of changes being made to this plugin... you know... it just stuns. :P

BTW. thanks for tutorial. A perfect moment to start journey with wxWidgets. :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 01:59:52 am by squizzz »
this space is for rent

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:44:00 am »
Well, the problem is that the SDK is constantly changing, and new versions of wxSmith are updated to use the CVS SDK so they're often not compatible with the latest release of C::B.

This will be specially true when we start working on C::B version 2.

takeshimiya

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 03:39:08 am »
Nightly builds would solve this...

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 04:10:10 pm »
I've just seen quite latest wxSmith (thanks to binaries provided by therion), and I just cannot left what I've seen uncommented... 

O, guys, easy, easy. If You're so impressed now, it would be really big challenge to surprise You later ;)

I thought about providing some binaries... but maybe it's not z good idea. wxSmith is somehow a part of Code::Blocks and always will be. And dates, releases etc. are set up mainly by mandrav ( I guess ;) ). Waiting for release makes product more popular (like it was in case of C::B RC2, in my opinion of course) ;).

Nightly build - it would be nice :)

Takeshi Miya: Can You describe Black screen more precisely (the most important thing is when it does occur). I noticed this behaviour but have too few informations about that. Maybe some bug report ;)

OK, I have to go back to my thesis...

BTW. Can anyone help me with Linux version ? I really have no Idea why it don't want to load :( And Squizz: I've divided by zero and still have exceptions ;)

takeshimiya

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:17:53 pm »
byo: it occurs (almost) all the time when you drag a component

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 04:32:57 pm »
byo: it occurs (almost) all the time when you drag a component

Can You provide any screenshoot ? And try to increase "Preview fetch delay" option in wxSmith Settings (Advanced tab) - maybe it wil fix the problem. And I suggest moving thuis discussion here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1220.0.html :)