Author Topic: 10.5 on ubuntu 10.4  (Read 20952 times)

Medivh

10.5 on ubuntu 10.4
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:39:36 pm »
As the title says, is anybody know when will code::blocks 10.5 be available on ubuntu 10, i try to download source code and compile, i failed to do that. Should i try to install some other variants from C:B site like for debian linux or something like that, or should i wait for ubuntu version ?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: 10.5 on ubuntu 10.4
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:26:35 pm »
As the title says, is anybody know when will code::blocks 10.5 be available on ubuntu 10, i try to download source code and compile, i failed to do that. Should i try to install some other variants from C:B site like for debian linux or something like that, or should i wait for ubuntu version ?

You can either use pasgui's repo: http://lgp203.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article1,
or try it this way: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,12662.msg85761.html#msg85761 (second paragraph).

Medivh

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

You can either use pasgui's repo: http://lgp203.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article1,
or try it this way: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,12662.msg85761.html#msg85761 (second paragraph).
Thank you very much  :D

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 04:25:50 pm »
Jens: maybe you should add the info to the download page?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 04:36:54 pm »
Jens: maybe you should add the info to the download page?
As far as I know I have no access to the download page. (if I have I don't know how to do it).
Otherwise I could add the information.

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »
why is ubuntu such a pain in the ass. I have seen people for installing certain stuff really being going through hell to get something on ubuntu. I thought it was the dummy , easy, out of the box distro.

And the thing is, who gets a bad name, CB, since it doesn't work out of the box on ubuntu :-(

ubuntu seams really to be the Microsoft windows replacement , nothing but troubles.  ;-)

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:20:06 pm »
why is ubuntu such a pain in the ass.

I don't want to start a distro war, but you couldn't be more wrong. The problems people are having with Ubuntu are due to (a) the decision to link the 10.5 binaries with non-standard wxWidget libraries; (b) terse wording on the homepage on how to get around that and (c) first and foremost (pardon my French) sheer laziness of people that can't/won't do a search for tons of available info (many of them on this thread) that would solve the problem.

I don't think that the first item is a problem in itself, btw.

Ken

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 12:22:20 am »
why is ubuntu such a pain in the ass.

I don't want to start a distro war, but you couldn't be more wrong. The problems people are having with Ubuntu are due to (a) the decision to link the 10.5 binaries with non-standard wxWidget libraries;

As first: with almost every new ubuntu versions (at least since 9.04) there are problems (spacebar, wxWidgets). And they all are not made by C::B.
The problem with the wxWidgets libs is, that ubuntu seems to break binary compatibility with the libraries provided by wxWidgets itself (the debian binaries we provide are linked against them and they work flawlessly for any debian distro until now, even debian testing/unstable with it's own wxWidgets libs).

The real problem is that it looks like they partly break compatibilty with debian, the distro ubuntu is based on, and the common user relies on this compatibility.

Offline pasgui

• Almost regular
    • LGP
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:57 am »
why is ubuntu such a pain in the ass. I have seen people for installing certain stuff really being going through hell to get something on ubuntu. I thought it was the dummy , easy, out of the box distro.

And the thing is, who gets a bad name, CB, since it doesn't work out of the box on ubuntu :-(

ubuntu seams really to be the Microsoft windows replacement , nothing but troubles.  ;-)

I've build C::B for Ubuntu (Karmic and Lucid) for i386 and amd64 based on the wxWidgets provided by Ubuntu: http://lgp203.free.fr/ubuntu/, http://lgp203.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article1

regards, pasgui

Offline kencamargo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »
I've build C::B for Ubuntu (Karmic and Lucid) for i386 and amd64 based on the wxWidgets provided by Ubuntu: http://lgp203.free.fr/ubuntu/, http://lgp203.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article1
regards, pasgui

And it works perfectly - merci beaucoup pour ça!

Ken

Offline danh

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:48 am »
I really like Code::Blocks, and can't wait until I can upgrade to 10.05 (to fix some VERY annoying bugs).  However, I am not prepared to use any of the upgrade methods currently available for Ubuntu 10.04.  I do appreciate the detailed instructions several people have offered, but I am wondering if there are any intentions (or if it's even possible) to update the Debian repositories to make the upgrade process less complicated.

Specifically, I try to minimize the amount of "manually installed" software I have on my machine.  The more that can be organized with the Synaptic Package Manager, the better.  If I'm missing a simple install option for people like me, please do correct me.  I know pasgui set up a repository, but the details on his webpage are so out of date that I'm hesitant to even try.

It's unfortunate, but Ubuntu has spawned a generation of users who are comfortable, but not quite confident, with all the powers that Linux offers (myself included).  And I would hate for Code::Blocks to see reduced popularity simply because it doesn't offer a 1-click install for Ubuntu users.

Thank you!

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:51:45 am »
... but I am wondering if there are any intentions (or if it's even possible) to update the Debian repositories to make the upgrade process less complicated.
Can't be done because the problem is in ubuntu, as stated many times, not the Debian's repos.

You can either use pasgui's repo: http://lgp203.free.fr/spip/spip.php?article1
This is pretty easy method, you need to learn only how to add another repo to your sources list (google it please).

It's unfortunate, but Ubuntu has spawned a generation of users who are comfortable, but not quite confident, with all the powers that Linux offers (myself included).
Install arch linux or gentoo and you'll become very confident in working with the console and linux  :P :lol:

And I would hate for Code::Blocks to see reduced popularity simply because it doesn't offer a 1-click install for Ubuntu users.
Also the distro's packagers are responsible for the packaging of CB for their distro. After all they know their systems best.
You should ask the ubuntu devs to include the package in their repos.
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline danh

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:17 am »
Can't be done because the problem is in ubuntu, as stated many times, not the Debian's repos.

That's unfortunate.  When your program isn't compatible with the most popular linux distribution, whether it's your fault or not, you might want to start thinking about doing whatever it takes to resolve that issue.  If they did everything they can (since I obviously don't know any of the details of this issue) then I'm sorry for complaining!

This is pretty easy method, you need to learn only how to add another repo to your sources list (google it please).

I have added other repos to my source list, and I don't have a major problem with that.  However, the info on that page is most definitely not suitable for someone with my level of expertise.  And it's not very encouraging when the top of the page says "The last stable version of Codeblocks is the 8.02."  I would never suggest Code::Blocks to a friend until there was a page entitled "Installing Code::Blocks 10.05 on Ubuntu 10.04 via the Package Manager", since it's clear (as you say) that a 1-click install option is not a possibility.

Install arch linux or gentoo and you'll become very confident in working with the console and linux  :P :lol:

No thanks.  I use Ubuntu to avoid those headaches!  =)

Also the distro's packagers are responsible for the packaging of CB for their distro. After all they know their systems best.
You should ask the ubuntu devs to include the package in their repos.

I didn't know this.  I thought that a program's developers were responsible for presenting a package to the distribution, and then the distribution was only responsible for ensuring that it was compatible.  But as you say, it's not compatible (Ubuntu's fault, as you say), so the point is moot.

Your response does not inspire much hope, so I'll probably just end up switching to another IDE.  That will be a shame, because I don't know any other IDE that has virtual project management, which is really the main reason I use C::B.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:26:41 am »
Sorry I've given you the wrong link...
Just add the repo from here -> http://lgp203.free.fr/ubuntu/

And you can have your one click install... the windows way...
Argh, packagers should not have guis...

Offline danh

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:14 am »
Thank you, that link was sufficient for my needs.  I'm all set up with 10.05 and no longer have to chmod my shell scripts every time I edit them!  Woohoo!

Also, there are some things that Windows does that are good.  Just because it is mostly evil does not mean Linux can learn nothing from it.  =)