Author Topic: wxSmith improvement  (Read 47091 times)

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
Re: wxSmith improvement
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 07:19:50 am »

In other news I've completed the first cut of the demo app. It's available at the addons site below. It brought to light several errors, omissions and misunderstandings, which I've fixed and will provide a patch for tomorrow.

Cheers.

Offline seb_seb0

• Almost regular
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

Hi Chaps,

A note. I've found a regression, today, in wxSmith. The colour property has stopped working. The colour swatches don't appear and I can't set colours. Alos properties, such as the font one, which contain the text "Click to edit" and a button to launch an editor aren't showing the text and the preview doesn't update for the font case, at least. I'm slogging back through the SVN versions to see whether it's something I've done or it happened somewhere else. So far it seems that it's not my latest image-related changes as removing all of the files doesn't restore the functionality.

Could you do me a favour and check whether you see any of these symptoms on your end? If not then it definitely sounds like me. I'm sure they were OK before the last round of updates after I got my computer back so it may have happened while I was out of the loop.

I confirm this problem on Windows.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 07:42:51 am »
Confirmed, starting a preview with th e"Show preview"-button after changing the text of a listbox (e.g.) shows the correct text, but the preview has no close button.
The text does not appear in wysiwyg-preview and is not saved.
Colour can not be customized.

For a simple textcontrol updating the text works, but chnging the colour has no effects, changes are not written to the cpp-file .

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 08:08:47 am »
After reopening the project the close... buttons of the preview are there, and anothe rstrange thing: doble-clickinhg into the empty area of the underlying wxFrame updates the cpp-file and the wysiwyg-preview.

Offline PaulS

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
Another regression is when adding an event handler.  When you first click on the down triangle to add a handler the drop down is filled with horizontal lines.  Mousing over it causes the correct text to appear. 

This occurs on windows 7 in the current nightly but works properly in 6454.

I tried to report this in one of the more user oriented forums several days ago (search for "trash" if you care) but received no reply.  Should I have posted here although I am not a developer? If I was ignored because it was already reported please give me a clue on what keywords I should have searched on.  I did try.

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 06:37:11 pm »

Hi Paul,

Another regression is when adding an event handler.  When you first click on the down triangle to add a handler the drop down is filled with horizontal lines.  Mousing over it causes the correct text to appear. 

This occurs on windows 7 in the current nightly but works properly in 6454.

Many thanks for reporting. I don't see this, myself. I don't use nightlies, though. I'm currently using SVN 6557. I haven't seen the behaviour you describe in any SVN releases I've used. I also use Win7. I take it you're using the 24/8 nightly? Can someone using nightlies confirm this, please? Paul's original report is here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,13171.0.html.

I tried to report this in one of the more user oriented forums several days ago (search for "trash" if you care) but received no reply.  Should I have posted here although I am not a developer? If I was ignored because it was already reported please give me a clue on what keywords I should have searched on.  I did try.

I can assure you that you weren't ignored. Responses depend on who looks where and when but it may well have been noted. The best and most "correct" place for bug reports is https://developer.berlios.de/projects/codeblocks/. Bugs tend to get lost in the forums.

There are some helpful details at http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1673.0.html, but you do need to look in the Developer forum to see that. :-)

So, thanks again and we'll try to verify what's going on for you.

It would help me with the others if you could tell me whether you see those symptoms in your nightly.

Cheers,

Cryo.

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 06:52:16 pm »

Thanks for the confirmations, guys. It looks like I have some investigation to do.  :shock:

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 08:13:10 pm »

Thanks for the confirmations, guys. It looks like I have some investigation to do.  :shock:

It slipped with the wxPropgrid update (svn r6339) and not with your patches.
So we have to look there.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
Could you try again, please. By accident the 1.4'er version chosen to use had a serious bug. :-(
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline PaulS

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:50 pm »
You asked if I was using the August 24 nightly, No I'm using August 30th svn 6562.  However, I must recant.  The problem is probably my own doing.

On my primary machine it fails as I reported on 6562 and works fine after reinstalling 10.5 release (not sure what that svn was).
This afternoon I updated a second machine to 6562 and that one works just fine.  Put 6562 back on the primary machine & it still fails. 

Both machines are Thinkpads running Windows 7 with all the latest Microsoft updates.  They are different models and have different screen resolutions and different video components.

All files in the Codeblocks directory have the same dates. The shared subdirectory is too big to check manually.  I will look for a tool to compare directories of non-text files but don't know of one off hand.

If no one else is seeing this problem (junk in display when adding a event handler) don't waste your time.  If someone else is please speak up.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:57 pm »
Could you try again, please. By accident the 1.4'er version chosen to use had a serious bug. :-(
Does not fix it  :(

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »
You asked if I was using the August 24 nightly, No I'm using August 30th svn 6562.  However, I must recant.  The problem is probably my own doing.

On my primary machine it fails as I reported on 6562 and works fine after reinstalling 10.5 release (not sure what that svn was).
This afternoon I updated a second machine to 6562 and that one works just fine.  Put 6562 back on the primary machine & it still fails. 

Both machines are Thinkpads running Windows 7 with all the latest Microsoft updates.  They are different models and have different screen resolutions and different video components.

All files in the Codeblocks directory have the same dates. The shared subdirectory is too big to check manually.  I will look for a tool to compare directories of non-text files but don't know of one off hand.

If no one else is seeing this problem (junk in display when adding a event handler) don't waste your time.  If someone else is please speak up.

Thanks for the details, Paul. No-one is reporting it so far.
WinMerge will do what you want and is free and excellent.

Ciao.

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 12:02:56 am »
Does not fix it  :(

Yeah, agreed. Morten's latest commit didn't change things. My investigation so far shows that it happened with SVN6339, as Jens said. Going back to 6219, the previous change for wxSmith, everything works. I've only looked into wxsColourProperty so far. If you change the code in wxsColourProperty::PGCreate() in wxscolourproperty.cpp. lines 506/507 to reactivate wxSystemColourProperty instead of wxsMyColourPropertyClass, the error doesn't occur so it's in wxsMyColourPropertyClass. So far I haven't been able to trace it.

Cheers.

Offline Cryogen

• Regular
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 04:10:40 am »

I have to say that I'm stumped with this at the moment. If anyone has more experience with the inner workings of it they would probably do better than me. It gets very convoluted with macros and there's such a lot of code that it's not easy to know exactly what's happening where, at times. I can think of two general possibilities. One is that some of the changes made when propgrid 1.4 was introduced caused the problems. The other, which seems more likely, is that the behaviour of propgrid changed and it wasn't picked up. I can't see where the problems lie at this stage.

Cheers.

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 04:22:14 am »
It's most likely the second one, itmight be related to wxPGId (used in wxsXXX::PGCreate) and wxPGPropArg in newer wxPropgrid, but the depth of wxSmith and wxPropGrid is somewhat unclear to me.
Maybe I find the time to investigate more the next days.