Author Topic: user information  (Read 4795 times)

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
user information
« on: April 02, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »
Hi,

seeing quite often that some new user does not give any information as to the operating system or the version of c::b he uses, why not query all this data directly when someone signs up to the forum? as obligatory data.

just a thought.

regards

frithjofh
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: user information
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:33:29 am »
Sounds like a good Idea; but, it has minor drawbacks.

The newbies are the main problem people; over half of the ones I asked have no idea what is the version of their compiler.

Some of them have no idea if they installed a compiler.

Some of them seem to not be able to read; and, I am not talking about the ones are not native English speakers.

Most of them DO NOT know how to reply and say what fixed the problem so the next newbie can learn from the thread they stated.

Most of the can not use Google.

Most of the have no idea what is the difference between a compiler and a linker.

I have NO idea why the can not seem to think of reading the first page of the Wiki which can help answers most newbies questions.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline frithjofh

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »
hi,

well, I can imagine, that you developers are really fed up with that kind of behavior. i really do understand. people can be very, very stupid, and many of them are very, very lazy, and many of them have this attitude of just weeping a little and expecting everybody to come to their rescue ...  :? people are just strange. at least i have to admit, that i don't understand them.

perhaps the signing up page could be treating the newcomers with the right deal of obligation and information. like all fields being obligatory and having a small text associated with each field like (for the compiler):

"if you want to program with C or C++ you need to have a so called compiler for those languages installed.
the compiler is a program which transforms your source code into a running program. for any help you request
in this forum the developers need to know which compiler you have installed, and which version of it."

OK, it is not your job to tell people these kind of basics, but imagine how much redundant work will be saved by giving the newbies this little of information right from the start and obliging them to look up the required information before they can get an account in the forum ...

well, you certainly have more pressing and interesting matters to spend the day. I myself don't have the slightest idea of turning this into a web site, so i won't blame anybody ...

regards and thank you for all the good work put into this IDE. It really helps me a lot in this hobby of mine, and I learned quite a bit just using it and having to understand how it works and why it works as it does.

greetings from asturias

frithjofh
architect with some spare time  -  c::b compiled from last svn  -   openSuSE leap x86_64  -  AMD FX-4100

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:15 pm »
What about a questionnaire that forces new users to read and select the right answer before they can actually become forum members? :P

All the answers would come from a nice and not too long document explaining the purpose of this forum. Something that does not look like a disclaimer, because all you know already that disclaimers and license agreements are an "I agree, but I do not give a damn about whatever it says" kind of thing.

The questions and answers would of course be related to the things we want to avoid being asked here. Like...

1. What is the first thing to do before starting a new topic?

() Nothing, just click the New Topic button.
() Find the right board to post it.
() Nothing, just click the Post New Poll button for the sake of it.
() Search for it using the search functionality in the forum as well as using web search engines (like Google).

2. If I have a programming question (like how to print all prime numbers, fibonacci series, read/write files, draw things on screen, ...), where should I post it?

() In the Help Wanted board.
() In another website (like StackOverflow)
() In the General board.
() In at least two boards where it seems to apply.

3. If I feel sure the question belongs to this forum, what information should I provide along with it?

() Just the question is enough.
() The source code that fails.
() OS, C::B version number, compiler being used including version, attempts to solve it and any other error or output being produced that may be of use.
() Full name, age and country of residence. A recent passport picture is not mandatory, but it is welcomed as it makes us feel better.

I am sure all developers and users may put into it all their madness (there may even be some bloody developer out of his mind somewhere). The idea is not to confuse, but to guide them all. To do something at once, and reduce the amount of noise.

Just my €0.05
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:12:54 pm by Ceniza »

Offline kencamargo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:58 pm »
The newbies are the main problem people; over half of the ones I asked have no idea what is the version of their compiler.

Some of them have no idea if they installed a compiler.

Some of them seem to not be able to read; and, I am not talking about the ones are not native English speakers.

Most of them DO NOT know how to reply and say what fixed the problem so the next newbie can learn from the thread they stated.

Most of the can not use Google.

Most of the have no idea what is the difference between a compiler and a linker.

This is a fair summary of what's going on. I've been going through some of the newbie-initiated threads and I have to say I am appalled by the level of ignorance on public display... I have the impression that this got worse in recent weeks, I have no recollection of such clusters of know-nothings assaulting the fora at once before... I think that the solution is what is being done, lock the topic, and I'd add in recurring offenders banning (at least temporarily) from posting...

Ken

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 07:10:49 pm »
I like the multiple choice quickie quiz above.  Word for word it would at least prevent a decent portion of the noob posts as it would get people thinking.  A little more detail on the point of  "this is not a general programming forum" / "we dont do homework here" might be useful to us.  A link to a wiki page about   IRC  and maybe suggestion to  #c++-basic would further be useful to them.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
Quote from: Seronis link=topic=12319.msg83844#msg83844
A link to a wiki page about   IRC  and maybe suggestion to  #c++-basic would further be useful to them.

I agree a wiki page of sites for general and specific programming type question would be a good thing.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:14:12 pm »
Quote from: Seronis link=topic=12319.msg83844#msg83844
A link to a wiki page about   IRC  and maybe suggestion to  #c++-basic would further be useful to them.

I agree a wiki page of sites for general and specific programming type question would be a good thing.

Tim S.
I think links to such pages are better, then to reinvent the wheel. (e.g. http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ ).

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:11:59 pm »
Well, we could just continue being impolite to all the people who don't give proper information. This worked fine for a couple of years, didn't it?

On a more serious note though, I don't think that any questionnaire or automated thingie will make anything better, but it will add extra burden to everyone. Personally, if a forum asked me to fill out half a page of information to begin with, I'd probably close the browser immediately, and if the reason I went there for had been a problem I couldn't solve myself, I'd use another software.
Unqualified questions are annoying, but such is the nature of humans. Some people are experienced, some are unexperienced, and some are just stupid. Some will ask questions that you can answer, some will only give proper information after you yell at them, and some just won't get it. You won't change that.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."