Author Topic: C::B doesn't show g++ as a compiler option (MSWindows)  (Read 9867 times)

Offline OldFangle

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: C::B doesn't show g++ as a compiler option (MSWindows)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 02:20:22 am »
Hello

SFML-2.2-windows-gcc-4.7.1-tdm-32-bit  has replaced the other version.  That SFML sample code works as expected now.

I'm saving this discussion to read it more times.
Those references to the -s type files should be telling me to do something in terms of linking, but the way I'm reading it, I'm not understanding the instruction.
I'll keep reading about Linking in Code::Blocks.

Thanks for all the time and help, I'm grateful that SFML works now, but I've still a lot of work to do to appreciate what was going wrong before and why things are working properly now.
I'm getting the general idea but I need to work on the finer details.

Thanks for the latter note explaining those terms.

Thank you everyone.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 06:31:24 pm »
Those references to the -s type files should be telling me to do something in terms of linking, but the way I'm reading it, I'm not understanding the instruction.

The people who built the binary or did the build system for the library decided that the normal users of the library will be DLL users.
The users of the static version need to use the static libs; the static libs has an "-s" suffix in the names when using the downloaded binary libs.
No idea if the self built version of the libs do or not have the "-s" suffix in the lib names.

Tim S.
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline OldFangle

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 11:28:31 pm »
Thanks, Tim

When I was reading, from the sfml-dev.org article about setting-up SFML with Code::Blocks:
"If you want to get rid of these DLLs and have SFML directly integrated into your executable, you must link to the static version. Static SFML libraries have the "-s" suffix: "sfml-xxx-s-d" for Debug, and "sfml-xxx-s" for Release.", I thought I was doing what I needed to do by determining in which directory the -s and -d files were contained, then ensuring there was a directory path stated to that directory.
But last evening, watching YouTube videos about SFML I happened to see these Linker Settings:
    sfml-graphics-s-d
    sfml-window-s-d
    sfml-system-s-d
Sometimes when an article states what I need to do, I understand also how and where to do it, but this time I had to see it to know what was being described.
Hope this helps the next person. 

As for this next section "...you will also have to link opengl32, winmm and gdi32", should these be written like so:
   opengl32
   winmm
   gdi32
next beneath sfml-system-s-d in Linker Settings?  Or elsewhere, or elsewise?  And is there anything I should be taking into consideration concerning my using MSWindows 7 64-bit?

I'll be trying to find more information this evening specific to Linking, in hopes of discovering and clearing-up other misinterpretations.
Thank you again