Author Topic: Having more than one execution directory  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Super_Stinger

• Multiple posting newcomer
Having more than one execution directory
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:18:27 am »
Hello all.

I have two projects. One is an engine and the other is a game utilising this engine. The engine project exports to a dll. I have changed the execution working dir of the game to this locatipn so that i can modify the engine while developing the game. However. The games required files ( sprites, sound files, etc ) have to be stored here for the game to function as thats its working directory. Other games and projects may need to utilise this space, this obviously causes overwritting and other problems will occur. Is there a way to create two working directories?

Windows xp on cb 13.12

I thought of possibly exporting the dll to the windows system32 folder so that the game can still have its own directory. Would this work?

Many thanks,
Super_Stinger

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Having more than one execution directory
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 10:29:55 am »
I'm not sure what you call execution dir, I guess it is a mix of the output dir and execution dirs in CB.
But, you can utilize the targets feature to do this. Make different targets for different purposes in the engine project.

I thought of possibly exporting the dll to the windows system32 folder so that the game can still have its own directory. Would this work?
This is definitely not a good idea.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Having more than one execution directory
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:33 pm »
It should work from inside Code::Blocks, if you add the dir with the dll to the linker search-dirs of the appropriate target.