Author Topic: the usage of Code::Blocks around the world  (Read 11866 times)

Offline nanyu

• Almost regular
  • nanyu
the usage of Code::Blocks around the world
« on: March 21, 2010, 03:33:53 pm »
I think we need a "user list"...
========================
EDIT :

I'm a C++ teacher in China, now I have being using Code::Blocks as the main IDE on my classes for about two years. My students are all enjoying this IDE, so thanks to the devels of C::B.

I personally want to survey the usage of Code::Blocks around the world.
For me, I have noticed that at least one collage in a foreign country using C::B as a major IDE on their C++ education.

So, I'm interested in:
Who (which country, which company or which school) are using this IDE?
What's the propose of using C::B, did you use it for work or for study?
If you're using C::B as a practical work tool, is the final product is a commercial or open source project?
Or, you just using C::B for interests?
How many people around your are using C::B? Are you the only person in your lab using C::B, or the whole working team members are using C::B.

Especially I'm very interested in the usage in the education field like C++ language teaching or other CS lectures.

thanks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:22:06 pm by nanyu »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: Code::Blocks user list
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »

what do you mean by user list???
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline nanyu

• Almost regular
  • nanyu
Re: Code::Blocks user list
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:16 am »

what do you mean by user list???

That is Who use Code::Blocks?
where ? why (for work? for study? for education?)... 

Offline Alex_Wang

• Single posting newcomer
Re: the usage of Code::Blocks around the world
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:20:25 am »
I am a student,a novice to use CB. In my lab,only ONE persion uses CB.So guess who he is :D.

CB is a good one but not the best at present(I wish that), i think,compare with VC or VS, CB's Debugger seems less powerful. The features like Code Hints and Code completion……,you know,no so good in my direction.

Just in my own work,I try to use CB+wxWidgtes. In the lab ,when facing a little large-scale projects, perhaps we might still choose VS as the main IDE. :(

Offline nanyu

• Almost regular
  • nanyu
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:33:50 am »
I am a student,a novice to use CB. In my lab,only ONE persion uses CB.So guess who he is :D.

CB is a good one but not the best at present(I wish that), i think,compare with VC or VS, CB's Debugger seems less powerful. The features like Code Hints and Code completion……,you know,no so good in my direction.

Just in my own work,I try to use CB+wxWidgtes. In the lab ,when facing a little large-scale projects, perhaps we might still choose VS as the main IDE. :(

thank you! and I guess you come from  China?

Offline Dr.Optix

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • I'm studying OS Developing.
    • DrOptix Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:37 pm »
I'm a student here, from Romania. At school we have Code::Blocks, VisualStudio and C++Builder. As an approximation 80% from my colleagues and friends from the school are using Code::Blocks.

Personally I've used Code::Blocks as my main IDE and still support it, but until it get's a little better on the CodeCompletion part I will use CodeLite, but hey! I'm not abandoning Code::Blocks forever, it is still my number one IDE when it comes to dev wxWidgets apps, wxSmith is the best GUI builder for wxWidgets.

<subjective>CodeLite GUI also looks a bit nicer that Code::Blocks</subjective>
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly / CodeLite Latest Stable
Compiler: TDM's GCC/mingw32
Blog: DrOptix.WordPress.Com

Offline Alex_Wang

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:39 am »

thank you! and I guess you come from  China?

Haha, I'm from China, how could you konw that? :twisted:

Offline Loaden

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »

thank you! and I guess you come from  China?

Haha, I'm from China, how could you konw that? :twisted:
Alex_Wang ? Maybe. :lol:

Offline reckless

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »
im ralph engels and from denmark.

not a student (bit to old for that)  :lol: i came from the quake community which for a longer period was looking for a good stable gpl compiler so i took it upon me (oh dear) to learn the ins and outs

of the mingw compiler :) and ended making my own branch that doesnt rely on the mingw runtime.

i been using codeblocks for some years now and pretty happy with it ;) its come a far way since the initial release.

im far from a scholar in C/C++ but know enough to find my way in fact back when i joined the quake community i was just looking for a way to setup a server but i ended up re.learning coding  :lol:

relearning since i had computers since the zx80 and commodore days but that was in basic and assembler :)

Offline TomerA

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:15:41 pm »
I'm a CS student from Israel in the Technion, in our first semester we were encourage to use C::B, however, in the second semester most students (as encourage by our TAs) moved to Eclipse.

Offline Folco

• Regular
    • Folco's blog (68k lover)
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:46 pm »
I'm not a professionnal neither a student, just a programmer at home. I have discovered C::B since I do C/C++.
Kernel Extremist - PedroM power ©

Offline mavri

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:13 pm »
hi
I'm from Italy
CB is one of the programs I suggested to my students for preparing the tests of C programming.
It is not the 1st choice because there are strange behaviours with the italian keyboard on the laptops (the editor has problems with some special char like { and } and others)
The course is a basic  for the architecture faculty
-----------<br />Mavri

Offline codeur

• Code::Blocks EDU-Portable
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:27:32 am »

Especially I'm very interested in the usage in the education field like C++ language teaching or other CS lectures.

thanks.

Hi nanyu, I am a teacher in an Australian university. We use CB for both C and C++. Between 200 and 300 students each semester use it.
I am developing a Windows configuration specialized for the educational environment (a Linux version will follow) and I am interested to know what requirements other teachers may have for such a configuration.
The package is not publicly released yet (not quite ready), but if you send me a personal message I'll give you a link where you can download it. I would be interested in your opinion of it.

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 07:30:26 am »
I am developing a Windows configuration specialized for the educational environment (a Linux version will follow) and I am interested to know what requirements other teachers may have for such a configuration.
The package is not publicly released yet (not quite ready), but if you send me a personal message I'll give you a link where you can download it. I would be interested in your opinion of it.

A windows configurations specialized C::B version??? I'm interesting.  :D

BTW: I'm using C::B in my lab. But the most people here use VisualC++. :(
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline Bonanza

• Engineer
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:08:19 am »
Im from denmark and has been using codeblocks for 3-4 years now.

This has also involved teaching in C/C++ and also STL.

I have made several windows applications using MigGW/WxWidgets/wxSmith. In case someone should doubt you can make serious systems with this tool. I made multi threaded applications that are suitable for production environment.

With "drmingw" you you can make your applications throw a "call stack dump" in case of crashes.

I also use it to interface to my linux build ssytem, and can build on this machine from windows using plink.

I love it all:-)

My main suggestion for improvement is not to make plugin "interface break" so often as I am now facing 2-3 plugins that I would like to use, but they do not match the version of codeblocks I am currently using. Maybe and ANSI C/C++ interface to the plugins, and let the plugins themselves deal with what version og wxwidgets they want to use. This might not make any sence but I hope the symptom is clear.

BR Flemming
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:12:01 am by Bonanza »