Author Topic: Slow scrolling? [Ubuntu]  (Read 90382 times)

Offline Nosferax

• Single posting newcomer
Slow scrolling? [Ubuntu]
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:52 am »
Hi everyone!

I am using code blocks and so far I have had a better experience than with Eclipse, which is really nice because I want to get rid of that app really bad (memory hog, laggy interface, whatever).

I am experiencing slow scrolling (for pretty much all scrollbars of code blocks, but it is different for the editor window).

In the editor window, if I scroll fast, every full scroll (i.e. as much as I can) just scrolls about 6 lines of code, which is pretty much useless. However if I scroll -slowly- waiting half a second before each increment of mouse wheel it will go down about 20ish lines of code for the same number of mouse wheel increments. I don't know if I am clear enough. Some mouse events seem to be forgotten/not catched.

For the rest, it is often a feeling of sluggishness.. if I compare to other applications, scrolling feels sharp and instantaneous, however in code blocks there seems to be a little lag between the scrolling and the actual update of the GUI. Exemple of places where I remarked this are the Project file browser and the 'Start here' pane. This one seems trickier even.. Anyone else experienced this?

I am using this under Ubuntu 9.10 32 bit and using an SVN build (revision 6181). Computer is not extremely powerful but decent enough to run other applications fine :P (Intel centrino 1.6Ghz and 1G ram).

[Btw sorry if this is in the wrong forum...]

Thanks!
Nox

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Slow scrolling? [Ubuntu]
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
Does scite (another editor, which uses the same editor component as c::b) scroll fast with the same file?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Nosferax

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »
I tested with scite and it doesn't scroll as slow. There are jumps in the document but it scrolls a lot more lines in one wheel roll.

Nox

Offline richarduk

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
I've noticed this too, and seems to be a lot worse in latest version. 8.02 does it but not that bad but my SVN 6187 version it's really bad.

Offline koso

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »
Can you check your CPU usage during that "slow" scrolling?

In my case, it jumps higher than any other editors. And btw. in my case, scrolling using keyboard (holding down arrow) is also slow.

Im using Kubuntu 10.04 - self built svn trunk.

Offline Nosferax

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:05:07 am »
CPU was higher than when idle, but it didn't max out. It stays between 20-35%.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:25 am »
CPU usage on my machine is around 35% on one of the cores, while scrolling (fast for me though).

Specs: q6600 @ 3.6 ghz  :lol:
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline richarduk

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
Yes mine too is also around the 30% mark. Dual core AMD chip so no Intel monster speed demon. It really feels like the mouse wheel messages are being missed / ignored.

Offline koso

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:09 pm »
I am getting about 80% on one, and 60% on another core when scrolling with keyboard. It is C2D @ 1,66 GHz, probably in some sleep state (1000 GHz). I am using KDE4 enviroment + intel graphics card => even desktop effects are laggy :((

Offline Kalith

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:41:58 pm »
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but this issue is still present in the latest nightly (even 7288 from Jens' repository) with Ubuntu 11.04.

I don't know if this is related, but it seems to also impact on typing, which can get very unresponsive (half a second delay between key press and character written on screen), when the editor has been open for a while and many files (~15) are open (CPU is then 100%). Closing all files helps to reduce the typing delay, but scrolling is always slow (except, like the OP says, if you scroll slowly : then all scroll ticks are received and the scrolling amount is correct).
I've tried to disable all plugins and use a fresh configuration file but nothing changed.

A have a quite good CPU (4 cores, 2.4Ghz), better than the one I have on my XP machine, which runs perfectly.

Do you have any tip to solve this issue ? Is it a problem on my side or not ?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:00:38 pm by Kalith »

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:00:01 pm »
What is the graphics cards? Does scite works fast? Have you tried to disable all plugins (even codecompletion)?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Still no problems here.
And I have just a Core2Duo with 2MHz and 4GB Ram.
Graphics card is ATI/AMD X1400 Mobility, with free linux-driver.

Offline Kalith

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:54 pm »
I have an Intel integrated graphics card (Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile GEM 20100330, I guess).
Scite is much faster than C::B, I can't feel any delay, and scrolling works well.
wyoEditor also, although fonts were not antialiased.

Quote from: myself
I've tried to disable all plugins and use a fresh configuration file but nothing changed.
... including CC, of course.

Offline Kalith

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 05:01:24 pm »
I've recently tried Geany, which uses Scintilla and GTK2, and it works very well while rendering the exact same output.
That's not a very useful information, but I hope it can help you see what could cause such a big difference.

Offline secks

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »
I've been seeing this ever since I started using c::b .. it drives me nuts .. if i do a full scroll using my mouse wheel in scite i scroll ~192 lines .. if i do the same in codeblocks i only scroll ~22 lines .. and this is on a beefy i7 box, although im using intel video ..

we have 6 developers here at the office all using c::b and we all are experiencing the same thing .. some have mint 11, some ubuntu, some amd, some i7, some q6600 .. i haven't had time to look into the actual cause of this (im not familiar with using wxScintilla) ..

does anyone have any clues as to what the issue might be?