Author Topic: Visual Debugging Question  (Read 4058 times)

Offline wolfcry

• Multiple posting newcomer
Visual Debugging Question
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:34 am »
Hello,

I've installed Code::Blocks and so far I'm very impressed. You all created an excellent program.

I have a question regarding the debugging method though. Is there a way to visually debug your code in Code::Blocks like you can in Visual Studio? I've been experimenting with the controls a bit but cannot get CB to do this. It just seems to debug in a text format only and only to resolve any errors or warnings and thats it.

If you're not sure what I mean, here's an example.
In VS, you can create a 'break point' then when debugging, you can follow the yellow arrow one statement at a time to debug your code to see if it's doing what you want.

Thanks for your help in advance.
C::B Version = 10.5
OS = Microsquish XP

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Visual Debugging Question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:37 am »
Yes, you can... it is very similar to the way debugging is done in VStudio...

Does "Debug -> Start" works? Do you have GDB (if you use the gcc compiler) or CDB (if you use Visual C++ compiler) installed?
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline wolfcry

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:46:38 am »
oBFusCATed,

Thanks for your help.

I don't have gcc or vc++ on this computer. My other comp, (dont have access to right now) does have VS installed.

As far as the Debug -> start working it's never active. I try hitting F8 but that does nothing either. But then again, it might be where I'm trying to activate it but it shouldn't make a difference. One project I'm working on is a Console Project where Debug start never activates. However, when creating a WIN32 GUI project, I am able to debug, atleast run it to cursor, but not able to visually step through the code like I want.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:50:38 am by wolfcry »
OS = Microsquish XP

Offline wolfcry

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »
Hello,

Never mind. I got it to work.

Fresh install did the trick.

Thanks for your help.
OS = Microsquish XP

Offline drev

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
it would be usefull to have a behaviour more similar with visual studio or eclipse; in watches, the possibility to auto-deferance a pointer and instead of right click / Deferance.

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »
Yes, that will be possible someday....

If you have lots of free time you can try the debugger branch and my gdbmi plugin.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]