Author Topic: Wow it blew up!! Crash BEFORE startup  (Read 3889 times)

Offline jmason1182

• Single posting newcomer
Wow it blew up!! Crash BEFORE startup
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:50:22 am »
Ok this is a new one.

From Gnome (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic -  codeblocks installed via apt-get including codeblocks-contrib and libcodeblocks0 and libwxsmithlib0 packages) I click on Code::Blocks and it says it is starting it up... then it goes away. no messages or anything. I think, wait... I just had this working and was using it! The only thing I didn't do was save the project I was working on because I hadn't changed anything to last time I had it open (literally 3 hours ago).

So like a good linux user, I immediately go to the command-line to see some output.
Code
jmason@midd114:/usr/include/wx-2.8$ codeblocks
21:26:49: Debug: ./src/common/object.cpp(252): assert "classTable->Get(m_className) == NULL" failed in Register(): Class "w" already in RTTI table - have you used IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS() multiple times or linked some object file twice)?
./src/common/object.cpp(252): assert "classTable->Get(m_className) == NULL" failed in Register(): Class "w" already in RTTI table - have you used IMPLEMENT_DYNAMIC_CLASS() multiple times or linked some object file twice)?
Trace/breakpoint trap

So I say HUH!? So I decide to remove my default.conf thinking that I may have inadvertently changed a setting. Nope. No change. So I try to start up codeblocks with different tags... first I try -ns. Nope. Try some debugging output, but what is that flag? So I do a codeblocks -h. Nope. Same error. So somewhere before processing command-line args it is blowing up! So i think, what changed today?

(REWIND TO THIS MORNING:)
I started up this morning, opened my project, began working. Needed to compile my app with wxWidgets static debug, as well as shared debug, so that means I need to build the libraries for shared debug. So I check my wxWidgets source and I had everything there, checked wx-config, I hadn't built the shared debug versions yet, so I run configure with the appropriate options (multilib, not monolithic) and all is well. Now wx-config reports that I have both available. Knowing that I will eventually need the release versions of both shared and static wxWidgets, i configure and build those. No issues or errors again. Now wx-config reports all four versions available, I go back to Code::Blocks and my project, check my build targets and make sure wx-config is called appropriately for each build target. Start building, (my app is still small so that was quick). Great, it is all ready to go... but I can't get past some linker errors with the shared library versions... I think I had wx-config called with the wrong options for those build targets.. But it's 5:00 and I get to go home. So I save the project, then realize I have a few minutes before I go. I work some more, then close Code::Blocks. It asks to save the project... already did so I said no. Then I shutdown until tomorrow.

(NOW BACK TO PRESENT TIME)
It was working just fine a few hours ago! I get back to work to catch up without the phone ringing after hours and can't even open Code::Blocks. I see that my system has updated and so I am wondering if maybe there is an issue with GTK or something that is keeping codeblocks from running.

Anybody seen this behavior? I've tried everything from removing all packages, then removing all remnant codeblocks files, libraries, even docs, and then reinstalling from scratch to see if I can get it back... what could I be missing?

I'm going home. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. (Hope I gave enough info)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:53:13 am by jmason1182 »

Offline jmason1182

Re: Wow it blew up!! Crash BEFORE startup
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 02:25:43 pm »
Does anybody have any ideas? I'm about to try to build this from the last available source (i guess from svn trunk) and see if that helps.

Anybody?

Offline jmason1182

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:42 pm »
OK, I just removed it all. My wxWidgets src files, all wx libraries, all wx library packages, all codeblocks files, all codeblocks settings, all wxFormbuilder files, libraries, etc.

I'm starting from scratch. My newly built nightly build wouldn't run with the same error. Not sure why. I'm going to reinstall the packages for codeblocks, codeblocks-dbg, codeblocks-contrib, and inherently libwx2.8 and the necessary files. I'll post how that goes.

Offline jmason1182

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:53:08 pm »
Oh wow... what do you know, it works.

Ok, now I'm going to install the libraries so I can rebuild all my wx-widgets libraries so i can continue my project. However, let this be a lesson to noobies and to experienced users alike.... check where your RUNNING wxwidgets libraries are located BEFORE compiling new ones. Do NOT overlay newly build libraries over the ones that in use for codeblocks, etc. because then codeblocks won't work! Instead, use the configure --prefix option when building wxWidgets libraries so that you can put them in another directory and distinguish them from the active libraries already in use.

And if you don't HAVE to compile a custom version, try something like this (for ubuntu)
sudo apt-get install libwxbase2.8-dbg libwxbase2.8-dev libwxgtk2.8-dbg libwxgtk2.8-dev wx2.8-headers

Then you will at least have the shared libraries for release and debugging. (no static, however.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:58:45 pm by jmason1182 »