Author Topic: CodeBlocks on OSNews.com ?  (Read 8906 times)

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
CodeBlocks on OSNews.com ?
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:11:55 am »
I was wondering, would it be wise to post about the release of CB 1.0-RC2 on OSNews.com? Because there's a high probability that someone will read that and post it on slashdot...

takeshimiya

Re: CodeBlocks on OSNews.com ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:37:07 am »
I'll wait for RC3 or whatever, RC2 includes lots of changes (autotools, new plugins, etc) that requieres more testing.
Also, I think that before making more publicity of it, C::B needs packages for linux distros (in their respective repositories), because linux users have hard time with it.

It would be great packages on official repositories of: debian, ubuntu, suse, gentoo, redhat, mandrake, slackware, autopackage, at least.
Using the latest wxGTK from each respective repository of course.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 12:45:40 am »
Good idea!

takeshimiya

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 01:00:26 am »
I've created a new thread of it here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,1194.0.html

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 03:31:22 am »
I was wondering, would it be wise to post about the release of CB 1.0-RC2 on OSNews.com? Because there's a high probability that someone will read that and post it on slashdot...

Why not post it on slashdot ourselves? Am I missing something here? FYI I stopped reading /. awhile back to many whiners and AC's. :lol: No offense to anyone that posts on /. but thats just my take on it......

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 04:01:58 am »
Regarding that, the server where this page is hosted, is ready for being slashdotted?

If not, Coral Cache anyone?
http://codeblocks.org.nyud.net:8090/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 04:10:44 am by takeshimiya »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 04:29:11 am »
My point was doing MINOR advertising on OSNews. I talked about Slashdot as a POTENTIAL RISK of that minor advertisement.

sethjackson

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 04:56:02 pm »
My point was doing MINOR advertising on OSNews. I talked about Slashdot as a POTENTIAL RISK of that minor advertisement.

OK I get it now. :oops: :lol:

All0i5hu5

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 11:54:12 pm »

The site would only be down for a day or so. It isn't like /.ing is permanent. In fact, after it is off the front page for that 1 day or so (if it makes it there), the site probably wont have any problems, and you would get a huge testbed of new users   :D, which I would think is a good thing.

To slashdot or not to slashdot, that is the question!

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 11:38:18 pm »
Well, seeing the current improvement, I'm sure we'll get to RC3 in a few weeks. Next week CVS version will experience a major overhaul regarding templates, debugging, wxsmith, to make the user experience much more pleasing (no more "whaaaa i got a linker error can't compile waaaaa" :lol: ).

But right now I don't think it'd be good to slashdot the site. We'd get tons of duplicate bug reports and ugh... eew.

takeshimiya

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 12:48:09 am »
I'd say slashdot/osnews/any major news site for 1.0 final.
1.0 RC3 for small-medium news sites.

Offline cyberkoa

• Plugin developer
  • Almost regular
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 02:10:11 am »
I'll wait for RC3 or whatever, RC2 includes lots of changes (autotools, new plugins, etc) that requieres more testing.
Also, I think that before making more publicity of it, C::B needs packages for linux distros (in their respective repositories), because linux users have hard time with it.

It would be great packages on official repositories of: debian, ubuntu, suse, gentoo, redhat, mandrake, slackware, autopackage, at least.
Using the latest wxGTK from each respective repository of course.

strongly agree on this  :o

CB should make the user feel that using it on Open Source OS will be better or at least equal to other OS ..

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 06:22:46 am »
Yes, that's right. We need official linux binaries. Of course, that means we need to fix the wx2.6.2 problems first :(