Author Topic: 8.03 release?  (Read 38911 times)

mariocup

Re: 8.03 release?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:00 pm »
Hi Biplab,

I agree that it is a lot of work and therefore we should define the responsibilities. I have a long todo list for the user manual and I plan to integrate all these changes in the beginning of February.

We should decide which patches or plug-ins should be integrated before the release.
- Multiline S &R ??
- FileManager Plug-in ???

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:10:23 am »
- Multiline S &R ??
From my point of view (as I am using this regularly): Yes, Yes.
Hence the Multiline S&R still has ugly UI glitches.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »
- Multiline S &R ??
From my point of view (as I am using this regularly): Yes, Yes.
Hence the Multiline S&R still has ugly UI glitches.

I believe FileManager plugin can be included. Multi-line S&R patch - I haven't used it so far. May be we push it to trunk. We can work on it in the meantime.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline TerryP

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • My journal
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:51:27 am »
My general opinion on that topic:

If one is willing to start a project as an "official" release provider, step forward. I think it can be quite "easy", skills required are:
- you need at least to be able to compile wxWidgets and C::B yourself using the official sources and build tools
- you need to be able to update / run NSIS on Windows to create the installer
- you need to be able to provide packages for linus (e.g. deb) -> forum people may help here

For the setup I can imagine:
- we candidate a certain nightly for an official release
- after a few more nights (hehe) if no true show-stopper occur we agree that this is a new release candidate
- all packaging is done (including setting up a new version number)
- releases are officially provided to the C::B dev team for testing (basically "installing")
- releases are delivered to a C::B admin and will be propagated through our server

We could agree on doing that at round-about every quarter or half of a year. I'd propose the latter which means two times i the year the volunteer needs to get into action.

So... Who is willing and has the skills and time to do that?
Keep in mind: This should *not* be a short term support, but rather a long term support.

I'm not familiar with how this project is organised, only that it's an excellent balance between producing a useful IDE, that's not fatter then mozilla in the process :-D.

This all involves leadership and planning, to practically quote Kerensky, a good solution applied with vigor immediately is better than a perfect solution ten minutes later. Someone in the development team should be tasked with creating a suitable OPORD0, outlining what needs to be done in order to get a `release` deployed. Things like what parts of the website need adjusting, how it's to be tested, which OS/PMS bundles to be created, et cetera. Doing that won't take long, assuming anyone knows what needs doing, and makes bringing support personal onboard a more trivial affair - ten minutes typing saves weeks out of a decade. Once that's written, wikify it to the public and edit it as FRAGOs1 are required.

It should be simple to define some kind of formal release policy and add it to the wiki. If C::B development is actually more then an occasional commit out of the blue, it could easily be arranged for a test cycle to be run every X months on the trunk (I assume all the devs run trunk or branches), then branch off a release from it once the cycle is completed: all show stoppers fixed since test cycle start, and hopefully no commits since breaking more then they fix. The nightly builds are kind of good for that ;). If C::B has much more regular pace of development, you could always just make a release equal to any suitable snapshot of the trunk at regular intervals, and just say the hell with it.... much like grabbing the latest and unstablist out of someones git repository.

Most of the website issues, could likely be scripted away with a bit of effort2, and suitable munging together to reduce the pain threshold for making the release files. It all depends on the particulars that are defined as necessary. It really depends on the effort people are willing to put into quality release engineering.

Just my two bits.

footnotes:

0: OPerations ORDer, a multi-paragraph order describing a military mission. Typically given a concise review of the situation, mission concept, execution details, and any prerequisite coordinating or logistical instructions.

1: FRAGmentary Order, some what like a hotfix or patch with updates/corrections to an OPORD.
1: depending on environment this may be easier or harder (e.g. needing to write a custom web robot)
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline Svenstaro

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »
Stable release packages probably won't require pre-made packages for Linux because distributions will prefer to package those themselves. That is a lot of effort shaved off there.

Offline jaxon

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 05:49:51 pm »
Hi all.
Yes, release is needed as a user does NOT want to test a new build every time. He (she) wants a version, possibly not so recent, but stable - that was tested for a time and has some user callback for its stability. For example it may be a branch with no new functionality, but some patches applied.

I see that different nightles do have different stability and it is difficalt to find what is more or less stable.

Offline roxlu

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:48:17 pm »
Wow nice to see lot's of people are thinking/willing to work on a new release! I indeed think it's best for C::B as C::B is a IDE which is simple and straightforward for newbies.

Besides this, I've worked on a project wizard and tested it on Windows/Mac and someone else is testing a Ubuntu version. It's a wizard for www.openframeworks.cc and it would be wonderful if it would be part of the next release!

I'm also working on a description/document which explains in detail how one can build an application bundle for MacOS as the current documentation did not work for me (maybe due to lack of my experience, which could be clarified by my tutorials on how to build C::B on Mac OS 10.6).

Roxlu

Offline Kogrom

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
Everyone can make his own Simple Hobbyist Installer for Windows. It is not difficult. I made my installer, everyone can update it.

// Sorry for my English

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »
Everyone can make his own Simple Hobbyist Installer for Windows. It is not difficult. I made my installer, everyone can update it.
It's not needed. The NSIS installer NSI file is in SVN and works out-of-the-box. That's not the real problem.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 05:12:52 pm »
Have you thought of running something like: http://hudson-ci.org/
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline Kogrom

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 08:59:24 pm »
The NSIS installer NSI file is in SVN and works out-of-the-box. That's not the real problem.
I know. But NSI file in SVN is very hard to read because it in one file, hasn't clear structure. It uses not relative links. I have made a little bit better structure. I have divided into parts this big file, have used relative links, and have put the compiler, IDE, wxWidgets binaries in one archive (zip).  So, it easer to use, to update.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:01:35 pm by Kogrom »

Offline chikigai

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 01:10:34 am »
Just an observation, but here is one point of view from myself on the subject.

I've seen a lot of posts suggesting the use of the Latest Nightly Builds when one mentions the last stable release 8.02.
The same case with when one questions when the next stable release is due out.

When jumping from 8.02 to a latest Nightly Build, it is extremely difficult to determine what has actually changed if one simply downloads the binaries.
Some features are implemented differently. Some have been made redundant. Most of all, countless number of new features have been added.

It is easy for users like myself who have constantly been using the Nightly Builds to track the changes.
But for someone jumping from 8.02 to a latest Nightly, I imagine it would seem like using a different IDE.
Hence, there are some posts occasionally where one tried out a Nightly Build but immediately returned 8.02.

I am not aware of a page where all changes since the release of 8.02 are listed (Does one exist?).
Maybe at least a link to a page to something like the SVN change log on each Nightly Build thread might help users jumping from 8.02.

Again, this is an observation I have made reading recent posts across the forum.
I believe a new stable release would be beneficial in a number of ways, but at the same time understand the difficulties presented in this thread.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 02:16:23 am »
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline chikigai

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:26 am »
chikigai: Here is your link: http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/codeblocks/?op=log&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=1

Yes, this link may prove useful for some users jumping from 8.02 to a recent Nightly Build or between Nightly Builds.
I must say though, that it is not exactly a simple task to browse over 1000 logs and spot all changes (8.02 was based on Rev.4913).
I imagine most users reluctant to use a latest Nightly Build require a simplified summary of changes since the release of 8.02.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 07:37:06 am »
Not exactly what you mention but more readable: http://apt.jenslody.de/ChangeLog.