Author Topic: Hey, I'm giving you a chance  (Read 5575 times)

Offline TerishD

• Single posting newcomer
Hey, I'm giving you a chance
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:40:20 pm »
Okay, long story short -
I am working on developing a game.  I have many years as a business programmer with Microsoft products.  Basically none with this project.  Learning C++, but I know enough now to have done a few useful programs.  Now I am tackling the graphics.  I went to a programming site for some simple help.  They kept saying "Use Code:Block," "Use Code:Block."  That is why I am here.

Well, how in Hell can you help?
I'm asking.
Can you compile my code?
I guess, but I don't need that.
Can you help me with my graphics?
I don't see anything about that here, and that is my problem.

Anyway.  I came.  I read your stuff.  I am asking.  No hard feelings.  I wish you well.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Hey, I'm giving you a chance
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »
I don't see anything about that here, and that is my problem.
I am not sure why you were told to look at Code::Blocks. Surely not because you find help/HowTos on game programming here. This would even violate our forum rules.

The only thing I can imagine is: A lot game libraries (engines) have direct support for Code::Blocks which means either there is a wizard inside Code::Blocks that helps you setting up a project easily (but that's it!) OR the game programming you did... the SDK or whats-o-ever had a tutorial themselves or even provide a Code::Blocks project.

...but that's hard to tell because you said nothing but "I do game programming". That can be anything from a console based "adventure" up to a massive 3D action killer game. However, even knowing more about does not enable me to help you more.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline TerishD

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »
Thanks.

Well, I am 50 years old and don't like the games that I see.  I have thus made it a goal to write my own.  I am thus starting from scratch, primarily because I know that I don't want to do like other people do it (I don't like those games).

I have chosen C++ as my language.  I have a copy of Turbo C++ that I am using.  I am not complaining about Borland, but only attempting to set up things my own way -- which causes me to ask some really basic odd questions.  Those that responded kept mentioning Code::Blocks.

Even if you cannot help me, I do want to you guys to know that you have support out there.

Offline TerryP

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • My journal
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:03 am »
I'm not sure what your programming background is on Windows, but http://gpwiki.org/ can help you with some issues, especially if like me, your mathematics education ended around long division rather then matrices and quaternions.

The most help Code::Blocks as a program provide, is by giving you a decent build system and code editing without tying you down to any specific vendors compiler, or having to get crazy with make tools. It should also present a fairly good debugging system, although I doubt it matches modern Visual Studios offering. As MortenMacFly pointed out, several projects supply project files and or wizards, that can simplify your dependency building woes. Code::Blocks can also help you with debugging your program, using the debuggers provided by GNU (for MiNGW) or Debugging Tools For Windows (for Microsoft Visual C++). By using Code::Blocks with a decent bit of brain power in your project settings, you can also make it easy for other developers to build your code; very handy if you hire help or gain contributors. That's something most projects shipping Visual C++ project files along side GNU ./configure scripts, often couldn't do to save their own foolish lives.

Beyond that, it beats the hell out of me why they would send you here, unless it's for something in the user manual or wiki.

If you're looking for useful things to research that can help, a few suggestions: choose OpenGL, DirectX, or some existing solution that abstracts those issues away. OpenGL and DirectX both have good documentation. SDL is fine for 2D, but don't expect it to do more then replace GLUT/DirectLegacyAPIxyz for 3D tasks. OGRE, CrystalSpace, Irrlicht, and Delta3D are worth a look for larger stuff. Depending on genre, some of the engines from Id Software (and variants) or 4D Rulers might be worth looking into, depending on your budget and licensing needs. Unreal Engine 3 will be a bad choice despite the improvements in cost, unless you're ready to use UnrealScript (very like Java) for most of the games programming, rather then C++. License, cost, and portability considerations were most strongly impact your decisions; but none of that, is really subject matter for Code::Blocks' forum.

For arts and graphics, I would suggest hiring someone or learning how to use tools such as Blender, Wings, and 3DS. I might be able to put you in touch with a decent modeler next I see him.
Just Another Computer Geek

Offline TerishD

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:25:23 am »
Hey, TerryP, THANKS!  That was a very good response.

Right now I am not worried about it looking clunky, but I do want to get something where people understand what I am wanting.  About art and graphics, I told my son the other night that my men will be two blocks on top of each other, while the women will be a block on top of a pyramid.  As for organization, 20+ years of writing business software has forced me to have an outline system, so this is not something I need.

Thank you for your kindness.  Again, I wish all of you well.  You are providing a service, just not one I need.

Oh, and again, I want you to know that you do have people supporting you.

Thanks again.