Author Topic: Codeblocks reports: ** (codeblocks:12654): WARNING **: failed request with statu  (Read 12220 times)

Bloop

Hi there!

When running Code::Blocks from console it starts but I get teh following message in the console window:

** (codeblocks:12654): WARNING **: failed request with status 1280

This repeats every 3-5 seconds.

After some time using Code::Blocks it freezes.
Could this be related to my error message?

I already searched the the forums and googled. No answer to that!

Any suggestions?

Regards Bloop

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Do you happen to run cups with either internet printing protocol (ipp) or over smb?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Bloop

I have it! It came with some editor package. But it's not running!

Code
ps -A | grep cups 

tells nothing. There is no samba or anything else running. You think it has du do with cups?

Regards Bloop

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Thomas: Do you know anything about it? What does cups have to do with it?

Bloop

Well I googled for : "failed request with status .... " and the first thing that came was an unsucessful attempt to install a printer.
I will reinstall cups right now and  check if the problem still exists.

Does codeblocks somehow use cups?

See you

Bloop

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Well, it speaks of "request", which suggests that something tries to talk to some server process or tries to do some networking. On Windows, I would have said "might be the DDE server", but there is no such thing here ;)

So what else could it be... Code::Blocks could fail trying to open a network socket (it does not :) ) or it could access something else that uses network, clearly printing comes to your mind at this point.

To verify this hypothesis, I spent half an hour on the web looking for this error message. And indeed:
Everything which relates to this message or a remotely similar message has to do with cups or gnome-cups, either in combination with ipp or smb.

So the assumption that it has to do with printing (and cups in particular) seems likely.

Now the question is what to do... maybe you should try to actually print something, if it is really related to printing, then you should immediately get an identical error. That does not solve the problem, but it confirms the origin.
Or look what happens if you actually run the cups demon (properly configured). If the problem is just that C::B can't connect to it, then that solves the problem.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Bloop

I updated cups to the latest version: cups-1.1.2.3-r4

And as dependencies 

x11-libs/motif-config-0.9
x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.3-r7
media-libs/t1lib-5.0.2

Same error. In fact Codeblocks freezes at the splashscreen und takes ages to load! What is wrong? How can I use codeblocks -d to get debug output.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
So updating cups made it worse?

Hmm well, not good for you... but at least that confirms that this is the problem, which is a valuable clue.

Since cups was not running at all before, did you properly configure it? What happens if you take it off completely?

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Mind posting a screenshot?

Bloop

Ok here we go! The requested screenshot is available here: http://lukeo.homeip.net/Screen.jpg

This is the state CodeBlocks goes after 2 minutens Splashscreen.

Now, I have removed cups from my system and rebootet the machine. Now check this out:
CodeBlocks starts up fast but Console gives me the following message:

**(codeblocks:6576) WARNING **; Can't g_module_open /usr/lib/libgnomeprint/2.10.3/modules/libgnomeprintcups.so

Unfortunately all other program which use this lib don't work ( e.g. shutterbug).

Could this be it?

Bloop

OK! I reinstalled cups and again I have to wait forever for codeblocks to load. Same behavior as displayed on the screenshot.

So I took a deeper look into cups config files but found nothing. Well since I have no printers I had no need to run the cups daemon.

Now I get the message "failed request with status 1030" instead of "failed request with status 1280". Codeblocks lags a lot, but seams to work.

I am confused!

Bloop

Oh I'm sorry!

I forgot to say that I started the cups deamon. As a result the failed request changed and codeblocks seemed to work.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
This lag is probably because Code::Blocks waits for a response from cups. Since fiddling with cups can make it worse or better, that seems proven now.

Rick: Am I right that Code::Blocks
a) probably uses wxPrinter
b) does not do anything with it if nothing is printed?

If that is the case, however, one has to wonder why Bloop is having a problem (started a print job by accident some time earlier?). If, however, Code::Blocks indeed does something with the printing system every time at startup, one should consider moving that.

Bloop: Even if you do not have a printer, why don't you try and run printconf and install a printer on locally connected-->custom device /dev/null? I haven't tried myself, but probably cups will just take /dev/null for valid and will answer "yep, I am ready" right away each time it is asked, so Code::Blocks won't hang or lag any more.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
a) probably uses wxPrinter
b) does not do anything with it if nothing is printed?

Yes, it uses wxPrinter.
BUT only when printing, not on startup (except for a static global variable - maybe that's the cause). If there's a bug, it's wxGTK's. No code to access the printer is called until there's a printing request.

With that said, I 've never seen this in Ubuntu whether I configured a printer or not...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Hmm, a static global will run the constructor, no idea what goes on in the constructor then. Could we do without the global?

With that said, I 've never seen this in Ubuntu whether I configured a printer or not...
Yes, but Bloop reported it actually gets better/worse when playing with cups, that makes printing a likely cause, does it not?

UPDATE:
Downloaded wxGTK and looked. There's not much that happens really:

wxPrinter::wxPrinter(wxPrintDialogData *data)
{
    m_pimpl = wxPrintFactory::GetFactory()->CreatePrinter( data );
}
wxPrinterBase* wxGnomePrintFactory::CreatePrinter( wxPrintDialogData *data )
{
    return new wxGnomePrinter( data );
}
wxGnomePrinter::wxGnomePrinter( wxPrintDialogData *data ) :
    wxPrinterBase( data )
{
    m_gpc = NULL;
    m_native_preview = false;
}
wxPrinterBase::wxPrinterBase(wxPrintDialogData *data)
{
    m_currentPrintout = (wxPrintout *) NULL;
    sm_abortWindow = (wxWindow *) NULL;
    sm_abortIt = false;
    if (data)
        m_printDialogData = (*data);
    sm_lastError = wxPRINTER_NO_ERROR;
}

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 10:20:36 am by thomas »