Author Topic: When will be a new version of Code::Blocks ?  (Read 10709 times)

arkashkin

When will be a new version of Code::Blocks ?
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:05:41 pm »
I am using Code::Blocks for almost 2 years and there are no new versions...
So where we will see a new version?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: When will be a new version of Code::Blocks ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:36:01 pm »
Use a nightly or build it yourself  :lol: 8)

A new version will be a good thing, though :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline autobot

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:53:19 pm »

arkashkin

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:27:20 am »
I am waiting for a new version because I don't want to compile the sources my self....
I am using linux Ubuntu so I'm waiting for a *.Deb file....

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:23:10 am »
Please read the nightly forums!
The info is there!
Hint - no need to compile anything!

(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:35 am »
...so read the topic autobot pointed to more careful, especially this post:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11504.msg78365.html#msg78365
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Svenstaro

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »
Even with nightlies, a proper stable release of Code::Blocks after such a long time would seem appropriate. It would also give confidence to new users of C::B that this project hasn't died.

Offline Seronis

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:01 am »
Steps a newbie is likely to take...

1. go to main site  'codeblocks.org' as suggested by a friend (C::B users are word of mouth users usually)
2. notice great huge 'DOWNLOAD' label (or optionally menu link on left side) and click it
3. notice options are 'binaries'   'source'    'svn'
4. decide that im lazy and source is out and im a noob so 'svn' sounds like evil
5. default to clicking 'binaries'
6. on 'binaries' page notice it supports all major OSs
7. notice THE VERY NEXT THING AFTER OS SUPPORT is a 'NOTE' saying recent updates are at the given link

Reason i know this is what a newbie is likely to take is because its what my stepson did the day after xmas when he got a C++ for Dummies book that he asked for.  He will be turning 11 this coming april.  If a child can actually have the attention span to notice the forum link any adult who fails to notice it is beyond help.  Sorry for them.

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:19:34 am »
I don't think the real problem is where to find nigthlies. Myself, i use (and probably abuse !) them on my own PC.
The problem is different on a professional environment (not only on PC but also in unix or linux environment) where the user cannot always do what he wants and especially if your working environment is controlled by a centralized staff. They have to administrate many machines (2000 in our case, but it could be more !), and because they don't want to treat all machines as a particular case they have strict rules for installing softwares. One of the first rules is that they install only official releases, not nightlies, because on too many softwares it's the beginning of many problems, especially when you administrate a lot of machines. Even in that case, it takes quite a long time before they give us the official permission to use a new release, typically 3 to 6 months in the best case, because they want to verify (officially !) if there are not bad interactions with all the other authorized softwares. Normally, I'm not authorized too, to install other versions than the ones tested by our centralized team ! In some cases, and that's happens sometimes, you can introduce problems on other machines, not only yours. Certainly not the case with codeblocks, but as I told before, the centralized team has general rules driven by security reasons.
Of course, I'm a bad boy, and as I said before, I use nightlies because I'm convinced that, especially for codeblocks, they are good. But it's very difficult to convince our centralized team that codeblocks is an exception in the software world. It could largely help us, poor lonesome professionnal users  :(,  if from time to time one of the nightlies could be declared as an official release. That's all.

gd_on
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:30:47 am by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline Hans Henrik

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:47 am »
I am waiting for a new version because I don't want to compile the sources my self....
(!svn) checkout http://apt.jenslody.de/

frequently updated repo with SVN builds of C::B, with ubuntu it works perfectly for Update Manager or "sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade"
this is the guy to thank btw  :D

(with ubuntu you might wanna change
deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ lenny-wx main
with
deb http://apt.wxwidgets.org/ jaunty-wx main
though)

I don't think the real problem is where to find nigthlies. Myself, i use (and probably abuse !) them on my own PC.
The problem is different on a professional environment (not only on PC but also in unix or linux environment) where the user cannot always do what he wants and especially if your working environment is controlled by a centralized staff. They have to administrate many machines (2000 in our case, but it could be more !), and because they don't want to treat all machines as a particular case they have strict rules for installing softwares. One of the first rules is that they install only official releases, not nightlies, because on too many softwares it's the beginning of many problems, especially when you administrate a lot of machines. Even in that case, it takes quite a long time before they give us the official permission to use a new release, typically 3 to 6 months in the best case, because they want to verify (officially !) if there are not bad interactions with all the other authorized softwares. Normally, I'm not authorized too, to install other versions than the ones tested by our centralized team ! In some cases, and that's happens sometimes, you can introduce problems on other machines, not only yours. Certainly not the case with codeblocks, but as I told before, the centralized team has general rules driven by security reasons.
Of course, I'm a bad boy, and as I said before, I use nightlies because I'm convinced that, especially for codeblocks, they are good. But it's very difficult to convince our centralized team that codeblocks is an exception in the software world. It could largely help us, poor lonesome professionnal users  :(,  if from time to time one of the nightlies could be declared as an official release. That's all.

gd_on
is VMWare or VirtualBox 1 of those your allowed to install?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:28:04 am by Hans Henrik »

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:59:13 am »
is VMWare or VirtualBox 1 of those your allowed to install?
Normally I'm not, because these products are not officially tested.
May be you have not totally understood my purpose. For myself, I have no real problems even if I'm not an administrator of my machines. The problem arises when I want to share C::B with other colleagues who have still less rights than me. They have no other choice than using an official version, the only one that the centralized team install on their machine (windows or linux), and they are not allowed to (or can't) install softwares them self (except of course those they develop, but generally don't need to be installed ! ).

gd_on
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:02:02 pm by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Soulless

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:53:28 am »
Of course, I'm a bad boy, and as I said before, I use nightlies because I'm convinced that, especially for codeblocks, they are good. But it's very difficult to convince our centralized team that codeblocks is an exception in the software world. It could largely help us, poor lonesome professionnal users  :(,  if from time to time one of the nightlies could be declared as an official release. That's all.

gd_on

I'm forced to agree with you, since I received the considered stable version from the site to use at class. The problem is that if I update to a nightly version or use svn and get any sort of problem, despite being this software's problem or anything else creating a conflict, I'm just told to stick to what I was given or I'm on my own. I've had this issue before (with another software) and I was only allowed to call my professor if it wasn't anything related with the software or I'd just get an "I told you so" and then turned away...

Soulless

Offline nanyu

• Almost regular
  • nanyu
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:01 am »
I like  a new release version of C::B .

Don't talk about why we need  a new version, but talk about why we don't  need?  :P