Author Topic: Version 1.0rc2 released!  (Read 59876 times)

kcfelix

Re: Version 1.0rc2 released!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 08:03:28 pm »
I fully agree. I don't understand the discussion about the feature "Create new Workspace". Where is the difference???
-> Eighter you choose "Create new Workspace" and add a new project or you choose "Close all projects" and add a new project after that. Only the first option would be another (redundant) menu entry...  :?

Well, It's just a matter of being intuitive. It doesn't make it very clear that you can use lots of workspaces. It took me a while to figure out a way to create new workspaces because it's just ankward this way. And suppose I have a workspace with some dozens of projects. I have then to do dozens of right clicks and popup menu interactions just to close all of my projects and then save the workspace.
Well, the option is not just a redundant menu entry, is the consolidation of an abstraction concept. It would be nice to have a nice dialog to choose your workspace name and then where to save it, and even some global options to apply to all the underlying projects would be nice (but it would be more difficult to implement than a simple input-name-and-path-dialog) but then why should I choose the name of my workspace if I can change it from the right click menu.
Well, then i start to wonder why use an IDE anyways since we can do everything from asm... seens a bit redundant too...  :?

kcfelix

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 08:07:11 pm »
BTW, I don't see the feature 'Close all projects' anywhere... if it really existed it would be really a lot easier, but still slow and unintuitive...

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 08:12:01 pm »
BTW, I don't see the feature 'Close all projects' anywhere... if it really existed it would be really a lot easier, but still slow and unintuitive...

Sometimes, it helps to look :)

"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 08:33:40 pm »
{image}
Seeing this I guess I understand, why it might be difficult and hard to find. See: In the project menu (note the singular) most of the options apply to that very single project (which is currently active). Maybe "Close all projects" should just be moved into the file menu?

...mandrav?!

Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 08:43:19 pm »
Well, "Close all projects" is just below "Close [one] project", seems like the logical place to me.

What particularly struck me was the wording "if it really existed". This implies that Rick is telling fairy tales?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

kcfelix

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2005, 08:46:05 pm »
Oh it's in the Project menu... -.-

But I still think that a workspace is a very helpful abstraction concept to aid in the organization of a project when it consists of several subprojects and it wouldn't be any hard to provide the simple option to create a new workspace in a painless way. If the concept itself could be evolved later to store even more information about the projects grouped under the workspace it would be great, but this single option would really fit nice in the UI.

Or give the option to add menu entry with Macro combination and I woudl add one 'Create new workspace' that would call 'Save Workspace', 'Close all projects', 'Rename Workspace' and then 'Save workspace as'. But it's so much easier to call the respective function from inside the code  :roll:

Well, you just can't please everyone, I know but if it doesn't hurt anybody why not put the option? :D

What particularly struck me was the wording "if it really existed". This implies that Rick is telling fairy tales?

No, no... not at all. At the very moment of my post the menu entry doesn't seemed to exist for me, and rick didn't wrote about the option in his post. He just said to close all projects.

Seeing this I guess I understand, why it might be difficult and hard to find. See: In the project menu (note the singular) most of the options apply to that very single project (which is currently active). Maybe "Close all projects" should just be moved into the file menu?

And I think Morten is right. 'Close All Projects' should be under File menu not under Project menu...

Ok, I know I'm making a big deal of this, but I've never imagined that this would generate such comotion :shock:
I thought it would be simply nice to have a 'Create New Workspace' option
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 08:54:40 pm by kcfelix »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 10:56:36 pm »
Well, "Close all projects" is just below "Close [one] project", seems like the logical place to me.
No contradiction - it makes perfect sense (for me that is). Hence, the same entries are in the "File" menu and there "Close all projects" is missing. In my humble opinion it fits there as well - and maybe even better since it is would be next to "File" (in general) and "Workspace" related stuff.

Morten.

Ps.: This will be my last comment on this topic...  :lol:
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2005, 07:55:51 pm »
I posted the RC2 announcement on "The C++ Source"  http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=269&thread=134502.  Maybe it might bring a little more attention to the project.

Joe

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

jokerar

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 06:01:41 am »
Congrats to your new release. Its been a while.
Well done guys, keep it up !!!

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 05:10:17 pm »
Pretty interesting...

We should give it a gift to the smart one.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2005, 05:30:25 pm »
Yeah, I am just running ab on that site...