Author Topic: suggestion: auto select in symbol browser  (Read 4236 times)

Offline nobodyreally

• Single posting newcomer
suggestion: auto select in symbol browser
« on: November 21, 2009, 10:16:35 am »
When you are within a section of a function in the code window, it selects that function within the symbol browser. I have seen it in many other applications, one off the top of my head is notepad++ with the function list plugin.

3 ways of interface implementing this that I can think of:

-Add a checkbox to the 'code completion and symbols browser' preferences window to auto select. (Most likely the worst option from a usability view point).
-Add a checkbox to the symbol browser tab to auto select.
-Clone the symbol browser to another tab to attach somewhere else and have that auto select.

The usage of having it flip between a dynamic and static mode would be required. I would think having it dynamic by default would be the better option.

I tried looking around for the option and searched the forums but could not find it. Apologies if its in the workings or already implemented.

NR

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
Re: suggestion: auto select in symbol browser
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 12:38:56 pm »
When you are within a section of a function in the code window, it selects that function within the symbol browser. I have seen it in many other applications, one off the top of my head is notepad++ with the function list plugin.

Did you try to open the CodeCompletion toolbar, it's what you want. :D
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline nobodyreally

• Single posting newcomer
Re: suggestion: auto select in symbol browser
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 01:48:16 pm »
Kinda, knew about it but 'seems' to be quite useless with its limited functionality and never use it, the problem with the code completion toolbar apart from being called the wrong name, 'function quick jump' would be closer to its functionality. It only lists functions that are in that file, so if you are in the .cpp file you will not be able to jump to any function defined in the header file. Further you are not be able to jump to the definition of these, see variables declared in the class header and you cannot see base and derived class information, I believe the later is not on by default in symbol browser but is extremely useful.

Reminded about the code completion now, it would seem the code is already there to determine the current function selected and it would be a quick hack to implement this feature.

NR
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:00:15 pm by nobodyreally »