Author Topic: Multiple windows next to each other  (Read 17413 times)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Re: Multiple windows next to each other
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 08:14:47 am »
I always liked the look of KDE. I had a mandrake installation once and I fool around with knoppix at times. Too bad there is no good software (for me) in linux land. Does that distro really fit on 1 CD, or do I need a DVD burner?
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

takeshimiya

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:47 am »
It's only 1 CD. KDE looks like an old windows 95 when compared to E17. :P

It's based on debian, and it's a live cd, so you can start to say good-bye to knoppix, no joke.

We got a little off-topic here, but oh well.
I only wanted to remember that the tabbed interface isn't always the best solution (like MDI in the past wasn't always the best solution).

But I think this should come from wxWidgets itself, right?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:21:43 am by takeshimiya »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 09:07:27 am »
The tabbing interface isn't well suited for big resolutions (ie. more than 1600x1200).
Well, at 2560x1024, tabbed interface is quite usable. I do that every day. :lol:

Like everything, tabbed interface is a matter of getting used to it. When I first saw a tabbed interface in Firefox, I did not like it. I was used to have 15 browser windows on the screen, and the tabs seemed to be the most unnecessary thing in the world. Today, I use programs that have tabbed interface in preference to others, in particular because to this feature. It is such an awful lot easier to use, and keeps everything neatly arranged.
True, you can only view one source at a time, and this can be disturbing in some occasions, but well... like it's been said - one can always launch another editor :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 09:46:39 am »
True, you can only view one source at a time, and this can be disturbing in some occasions, but well... like it's been said - one can always launch another editor :)
I fully agree. What is very helpful as well is switching between the tabs using the shortcuts [CTRL]+[TAB] (forwards) and [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+[TAB] (backwards). This is possible in Code::Blocks as well... Great!  :P
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

takeshimiya

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 10:14:15 am »

Yes, I like tabs also, but there are occasions of where tabs aren't appropiated, for example what if you want to see 5 files at the same time inside C::B (ie. 2 source code, 1 xml and 2 wxSmith resource windows). With tabbed interface it can't be done -at the same time-.

But regarding this, it's not THAT important in windows/linux, because any application do whatever they want. But on OS X the floating windows are the standard, and the users of that OS are used to that. Like they are used that a Maximize button doesn't exist. The entire concept maximizing doesn't exist, you can't maximize a window.

The functionality (and options to choose from tabbed, mdi, or floating) should come from the docking library or from wxWidgets.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 10:18:51 am by takeshimiya »