Author Topic: A newbie and his problems  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Radek

• Multiple posting newcomer
A newbie and his problems
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:34 am »
I am new here. My name is Radek and I have just installed CodeBlocks 8.02 on Debian Lenny. I have started this thread for a newbie (me) problems, which most likely aren't any problems but the newbie does not know it. So, please, be patient ...   :)

Here is problem #1: When I type a bracket, I get a space. When I type next character, the bracket appears along with the typed char. Is it possible to get rid of this behavior and get the bracket when I type it?

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: A newbie and his problems
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:48 am »
You will (most likely) find the answer here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7362.0.html .

Offline Radek

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:13 pm »
The solution in the thread works for me. Thanks  :)

Offline Radek

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:24 pm »
Problem #2: CodeBlock is said to be able to build a gtkmm project. I have found gtkmm neither in the wizard menu nor in the CodeBlocks manual. I tried GTK+ project but it wasn't the right idea.

(1) Is there a project template in CodeBlocks or I need to create the project from scratch?
(2) If there isn't such template, can I add the a gtkmm template to CodeBlocks? I would like to gain some skill with gtkmm so that I shall create more than one gtkmm project.
(3) If it is possible to add a gtkmm template to CodeBlocks, can you give me some general directions how to do it? I am a newbie so that any reduction of unnecessary mistakes is highly appreciated.

Offline Zini

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:40 pm »
You don't really need a template for that. Just create a blank project, then go to Project -> Properties -> Libraries and move gtkmm-2.4 (pkg-config) from the right list to the left list and untick the "Don't setup automatically" option. There you go. A Gtkmm project in less than a minute.

Offline Radek

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:29:17 pm »
Something is missing. Consulting the manual, I have found out that I need LibFinder for "Project -> Properties -> Libraries". I do not seem to have LibFinder installed. "Managing Plugins" wants a plugin to install. Therefore,

(1) Where do I get LibFinder? How do I install it?

------------------------------------------

Okay, install "wxsmithlib0" and "contrib" packages. You will get LibFinder. Now, you have "Project -> Properties -> Libraries" with gtkmm. Also set "Target - GUI" and everything will work. But I am a lazy tom-cat, isn't it possible to automate the gtkmm settings? Also, when I quitted from CodeBlocks, I got a message that I have changed defaults and whether I am about to save it. Not all my programming is planned to be gtkmm so that I wouldn't want to have gtkmm settings as a default. I saved the changes in default, did I saved gtkmm as a default?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:05:18 pm by Radek »

Offline Zini

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:37:44 pm »
AFAIK LibFinder settings aren't global. You must have changed something else in the course of setting up the Gtkmm project.

But I am a lazy tom-cat, isn't it possible to automate the gtkmm settings?

Wow! And I thought I was lazy. I don't think it can much easier than this. But if you insist, you could try to save an empty Gtkmm project as template (File -> Save project as template).