Author Topic: vim plugin  (Read 8743 times)

Offline st3vie

• Multiple posting newcomer
vim plugin
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:14:06 am »
okay, as far as i can tell, there isn't a possibility - yet -  from the side of Vim, but still it's being talked about, to support intergration of Vim in other applications, so...

would it be possible to have a Vim plugin in the future, so you could use Vim styled editing in CB?

-st3vie

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: vim plugin
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:19:31 am »
hmm. I think thatrequires a new implementation of the editor part in the SDK. Than it should be possible.
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 12:16:44 pm »
What is the point in vi/vim anyway? Is it the keyboard navigation, or something else that I am unaware of? If it is just keyboard navigation, that should not be impossible to emulate using the existing editor, might be less pain than implementing a whole new thing.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline st3vie

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:19:19 pm »
yes, i was thinking about navigation and the different modes and commands, used inside the editor of CB.

[edit]
it's with the point of faster editing of course. :)
To emulate the insert/normal mode and the navigation should not be a problem, i guess, but the extra commands and options will probably be a lot of pain indeed.

-st3vie
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 01:39:43 pm by st3vie »

takeshimiya

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 04:29:31 pm »
I was thinking about a VIM plugin long ago.

The plugin will be made by someone at some point, because there are a lot of *nix programmers that are used to the keyboard savings of VIM, and refuses to use an IDE for the improductivity it carries when typing code in a common text editor.

We'll also need a emacs plugin also. A
nd of course implement the functionality that Eclipse haves, as its gaining lot of popularity lately.