Author Topic: doesnt understand the compiler part of the components  (Read 7268 times)

sp_1d4r

doesnt understand the compiler part of the components
« on: October 22, 2005, 10:35:25 pm »
I'm new and i didn't understand what to download.

I'm a game programmer and I'm using a 3d engine, the "Ogre" engine, and i was recommended this package to run the workspaces for MS Visual Studio 7.  Enough people from the ogre engine use code::block, so I'm not after a walkthough of how to compile my code,

I'm confused what compiler I'm going to have to download, or if i have to download a compiler at all, or if I'm supposed to download the mingw compiler package, or the package without a compiler?

compilers?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:39:01 pm by sp_1d4r »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: doesnt understand the compilers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 10:43:32 pm »
I am not an OGRE user, but from the description on its web site, I gather that you should download and install the Microsoft VC toolkit 2003 (it seems as if MinGW is not directly supported, which does not mean it won't work, though). Very likely, you will need the platform toolkit SDK, too.

MinGW is generally an excellent compiler, too, and there is no reason not to have it, too (you can have more than one compiler at the same time).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:45:03 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sp_1d4r

Re: doesnt understand the compiler part of the components
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:45:28 pm »
i realise mingw is neat, but im on 56 k so i have to download optimaily for my connection speed.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 10:54:12 pm »
Hmm... MSVC toolkit plus platform SDK is some 300-500 megabytes if I remember correctly (I may be wrong, but I think so). Wouldn't want to d/l that via 56k... (gulp)

You can try if you get along with MinGW (it is definitively smaller than the MS stuff), there are dependencies and patches for MinGW on the OGRE Sourceforge page, so it appears that it is possible somehow.
If you decide to use MinGW, there is a list of what to download on the Code::Blocks WiKi, or alternatively, you can just use the all-in-one-with-compiler package.

Note, though, that very likely Code::Blocks RC2 will be out on Monday (or during the next week), so before downloading anything on a slow link, you may want to consider waiting 2-3 days maybe.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 12:03:53 am »
Download the upcoming 1.0rc2 full setup, which will include the MinGW compiler. I have created the Code::Blocks project files for Ogre and they do work...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

sp_1d4r

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 03:34:10 am »
i just got done downloading the 37 megabyte "Visual C++ Toolkit 2003",

Quick Description
The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows and the .NET Common Language Runtime – compiler, linker, libraries, and sample code.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=272BE09D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en
is this the wrong file????

and i was told at the ogre site that i needed the ablity to compile VS.NET solutions, (so then this here free compiler is the one that people are using in my situation), and im guessing that this is the file im going to have to go after(Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003).

i dont want to wait.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 03:41:06 am by sp_1d4r »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 04:18:47 am »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 08:47:33 pm »
Hmm... MSVC toolkit plus platform SDK is some 300-500 megabytes if I remember correctly (I may be wrong, but I think so). Wouldn't want to d/l that via 56k... (gulp)
Yes and no. You can do a web install and only install the parts you need. It was like 17 seconds over here.
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~

sp_1d4r

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 11:00:18 pm »
i did it,

what are you , chicken?

56 k

4 days

help me

sp_1d4r

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 11:03:11 pm »
MY NEW PROBLEM:::::

nothing from old ogre with MSVC 6 compiles right, the list of errors is a few pages long, and topple over me no matter what configuration i try,

are MSVC 6 ogre workspaces going to work with ms toolkit and all 2003(including 64 bit tools)?
im guessing(thinking) they should.

im downloading the OGRE precompiled MSVC 7.1 2003 , associated with my transition to codeblocks, workspaces and libs now so if they are easier to use, then wait till i get there i guess.(the MSVC 7.1 workspaces are the ones im supposed to comile and have alternate directions for)

im trying to get my MSVC 6 ogre game levels to wrok(work) with code blocks
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 11:12:12 pm by sp_1d4r »

Offline Vampyre_Dark

• Regular
  • Hello!
    • Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 06:31:28 pm »
You will need the platform and directx SDKs too.

Platform SDK includes all the windows stuff you'll need to make your ogre win32 programs
DirectX SDK is for DirectX.

Just look them up by those names on MS's site and you'll find them. You can do web installs of them both I think, and it will lessen the download size. Then you will need to set them up with C::B
C::B Wishlist
~BOYCOTT THE EVIL YELLOW BOXES~