Author Topic: The 10 October 2009 build (5859) is out.  (Read 148545 times)

Offline trdm

• Single posting newcomer
  • Male
    • unNStudioReport
Re: The 10 October 2009 build (5859) is out.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:16 pm »
Many thanks to your hard and good job :P
+2^1024 :)

Offline Kazade

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:53 pm »
Is it just me.. or did F11 stop working correctly in this version?

Normally if I create a header file, and press F11, Codeblocks would create the equivalent source file. Now it's stopped doing it. I can still switch between header/source if both files exist though. Is this a bug?

Offline rjwgnr27

Re: The 10 October 2009 build (5859) is out. New code completion very slow.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 12:05:31 am »
On my system (Fedora 8 ), the new code completion very slow on start-up. 

For the start-up time measurement, I start CB.  At the welcome screen, I open a large project (5212 files; 1,989,931 total lines).  Once all the file tabs are opened, I measure the time until the symbol browser is populated.

Using the nightly SVN, except .../src/plugins/codecompletion is pre r5770 (svn up -c5770), start-up for my project is about 40 second.  The first ~25 seconds, editor is responsive, then unresponsive for the last 15, then the symbol browser is populated.  Saving a source file causes an approximately three second pause, presumably while the symbols of the file are reparsed.

All of the version since 5770 through the current 5861, take approximately three minutes for the symbol table to be populated; also saving a file causes approximately the same three minute delay.

As noted, this is a Fedora 8, x86_64; gcc-4.1.2-33.x86_64, wxBase-2.8.9-1.fc8.x86_64, wxGTK-2.8.9-1.fc8.x86_64.

./configure --enable-final --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-debug \
      --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-contrib-plugins=all

Offline courage

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 03:20:52 am »
Hello, this version already has this bug. See the attached pictures below, please.
When I use "MenuBar editor" to setup the properities of menu item, just like picture "01_checked.png", checking this menu item.
Then close this wxs file and reopen it, the checked properity is reset to be unckecked. Please see picture "02_unchecked.png". This bug has existed very long time. I'll be grateful for your help.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:05:21 pm by courage »

Offline ollydbg

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • OpenCV and Robotics
    • Chinese OpenCV forum moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:05 am »
On my system (Fedora 8 ), the new code completion very slow on start-up. 

For the start-up time measurement, I start CB.  At the welcome screen, I open a large project (5212 files; 1,989,931 total lines).  Once all the file tabs are opened, I measure the time until the symbol browser is populated.

Using the nightly SVN, except .../src/plugins/codecompletion is pre r5770 (svn up -c5770), start-up for my project is about 40 second.  The first ~25 seconds, editor is responsive, then unresponsive for the last 15, then the symbol browser is populated.  Saving a source file causes an approximately three second pause, presumably while the symbols of the file are reparsed.

All of the version since 5770 through the current 5861, take approximately three minutes for the symbol table to be populated; also saving a file causes approximately the same three minute delay.

As noted, this is a Fedora 8, x86_64; gcc-4.1.2-33.x86_64, wxBase-2.8.9-1.fc8.x86_64, wxGTK-2.8.9-1.fc8.x86_64.

./configure --enable-final --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-debug \
      --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-contrib-plugins=all

rev 5770 is where the codecompletion_refactoring branch merged.  :D
Is there some test case you can supply?
For me, I just test opening the C::B's source, and the parser works quite well.

Saving a source file causes an approximately three second pause, presumably while the symbols of the file are reparsed.
This is really not caused by CC.
If some piece of memory should be reused, turn them to variables (or const variables).
If some piece of operations should be reused, turn them to functions.
If they happened together, then turn them to classes.

Offline szczepan

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 04:22:29 am »
  • improvements to automatic brace completion

AAAARGHHHHHHHHHHH DON'T!

Just... DON'T!

Pretty please! Don't ever auto-insert newlines when completing braces! Giga-annoying, makes writing one-liner accesors a real pain.

I myself have committed a patch to monodevelop to disable this behavior. If you want nice formatting

Code
{
    like this
}

then do it on Enter keystroke when the caret is between adjacent opening and closing braces. The user types opening brace, it gets auto-closed. Then if the user wants formatting they can press enter immediately, but if they want to write a one-liner they just continue typing. Everyone wins!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:47:46 am by szczepan »

Offline chikigai

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 08:44:06 am »
I am working with a workspace with several projects.
When I use 'Search & Replace' feature with the target set to the whole workspace, the IDE permanently hangs from this nightly build.
The issue does not happen with Code Completion disabled.

Using latest nightly under WinXP SP3.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 09:14:07 am »
To all with large projects and long timeouts, please try to disable the symbols browser, not the whole codecompletion and post here whether it changes anything.

Check "Settings -> Editor... -> Code-completion and symbols browser -> Symbols browser -> Disable symbols browser"

Offline chikigai

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:00 am »
To all with large projects and long timeouts, please try to disable the symbols browser, not the whole codecompletion and post here whether it changes anything.

Check "Settings -> Editor... -> Code-completion and symbols browser -> Symbols browser -> Disable symbols browser"

This seems to have eliminated the issue I am facing with the 'Search & Replace' feature with the scope set to the whole workspace.
[Development Environment]
IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly Build SVN Rev.6080 wxWidgets: 2.8.10 Windows Unicode Build SVN: 1.6.x

Offline jsibarani

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 01:34:14 pm »
Thank you C::B team.

Offline Kazade

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:48 pm »
Is it just me.. or did F11 stop working correctly in this version?

Normally if I create a header file, and press F11, Codeblocks would create the equivalent source file. Now it's stopped doing it. I can still switch between header/source if both files exist though. Is this a bug?

I'm also getting this on my work PC. This was a really useful feature, has it been removed intentionally?

Offline parameter

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »
In the past (and in other apps) pressing control-tab (and releasing both) will toggle to the prior document.  Repeating that will go back and forth between the recent two documents.  In this version of code::blocks pressing and releasing control-tab doesn't change the current document.

If it's just a bug, cool, I look forward to when it's fixed.  If it's intentional, please allow an option to have it toggle between the recent two documents (if that option is already available, please lemme know where :) ).

Thanks for the great app.

Offline rjwgnr27

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 08:31:50 pm »
rev 5770 is where the codecompletion_refactoring branch merged.  :D

This is why I reverted to pre-5770.  It is the new CC code which appears to cause the long start-up.

Unfortunately, no I can't supply the project that I perform these tests on.  I will try loading the C::B project, and compare the versions there. 

Saving a source file causes an approximately three second pause, presumably while the symbols of the file are reparsed.
This is really not caused by CC.

However, with the new CC code in place (i.e. CC at 5859), saving a file causes a substantial "hang", where the editor is unusable.  With the new CC backed out, it is minor (~3 seconds).

Offline Jenna

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 09:03:48 pm »
However, with the new CC code in place (i.e. CC at 5859), saving a file causes a substantial "hang", where the editor is unusable.  With the new CC backed out, it is minor (~3 seconds).

Please read my post, some posts above, and test whether it changes the behaviour for you.

Offline rjwgnr27

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »

Unfortunately, no I can't supply the project that I perform these tests on.  I will try loading the C::B project, and compare the versions there. 

I tried opening the C::B project, and it was quite quick.   I also tried a subset my project, and while it was not as long as the whole project, it still took substantial time to load and save a file.  So the delay seems to be related to the size/complexity of the project.

On a suggestion in one of the other posts, I disabled the symbol browser, and the delays went away; things were very quick.  Alas, I use the symbol browser extensively.

In testing 5859 (and noticed for a few recent tests since 5848), when I open a file, the whole file is selected.  Clicking in the editor clear the selection; however, typing a key inserts the character at the cursor, but then scrolls the view to the top of buffer.  I wonder if this is related to the version of WX (2.8.9)?

So at this point, for my system, I'm stuck at 5848, with 5769 code-completion.