Author Topic: Feature Request: Syntax Check Indication  (Read 4497 times)

Crypto71

Feature Request: Syntax Check Indication
« on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:06 am »
Hi,

I've just downloaded and installed C:B to see if it could suit my needs. Looks clean and nice and I'm already thinking of using it for my embedded Toshiba Projects (see other post).

Looking at IDEs such as VS, netbeans, eclipse, even MATLAB... They offer an editor feature to indicate syntax errors, missing include files etc. by drawing a coloured curved line right under the buggy code line. I wonder if C:B already does that? I've found it to be very useful - a ";" gets lost all too quick and then the compiler errors usually are numerous and denote something completely irrelevant...  :shock:

If not, then I propose this to be implemented  :)

Kind regards,
Crypto.

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: Feature Request: Syntax Check Indication
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 05:25:06 pm »
It is not implemented, and the amount of code required to get that working as expected is quite a lot. That should make part of the CodeCompletion redesign, but do not expect such functionality any time soon :(

Offline Kazade

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Feature Request: Syntax Check Indication
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:22:13 pm »
Has anyone looked into the possibility of using Clang to do this? I know Clang C++ support is incomplete, but the compiler is being designed specifically for integration into IDEs for this purpose. It parses code very quickly in comparison to GCC and provides syntax trees to the IDE.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Someone actually brought this up a few days ago! http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,11268.0.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 04:29:45 pm by Kazade »